Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newnan GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can forget about the Sprayberry's BBQ as that location closed down.

Wish they had built this in a not so congested area.

Ok thanks for the update on the Sprayberry situation, I will check on the other Sprayberry location. (Jackson st ?)

The access ramps on/off I-85 were busy 12 years ago so I can imagine how busy it has become.

I used to have to call on a contractor in Newnan years ago.

Yes the CHAdeMO adapter that I bought from Tesla is currently and probably locked @ 50KW.

Apparently CHAdeMO 2.0 was brought out in 2018 with a higher power rating.

The CHAdeMO SIGNET EA Dispensers that I have used in FL and GA are limited to 50KW
on the CHAdeMO connector, the label on the side of the cabinet says that it has a maximum rating of 350KW.
My suggestion in the survey was an attempt to get EA to raise the CHAdeMO to the higher power levels.

It could get a little wearing charging at 47KW from a 350KW capable dispenser which one cabinet over
may be able to charge at CCS 350KW.

Yes the CHAdeMO adapter that I bought from Tesla is currently and probably locked @ 50KW.

Apparently CHAdeMO 2.0 was brought out in 2018 with a higher power rating.

The CHAdeMO SIGNET EA Dispensers that I have used in FL and GA are limited to 50KW
on the CHAdeMO connector, the label on the side of the cabinet says that it has a maximum rating of 350KW.
My suggestion in the survey was an attempt to get EA to raise the CHAdeMO to the higher power levels.

It could get a little wearing charging at 47KW from a 350KW capable dispenser which one cabinet over
may be able to charge at CCS 350KW.

While the cabinet may technically have a 350kW power rating, that almost certainly is not possible through the CHAdeMO connector.

350kW charging stations provide higher power through special liquid cooled CCS cables and connectors, and I believe only at higher voltage (800V or more) that only CCS currently supports. Liquid cooled cables are required to support the higher charge current (up to 500A) to support the higher charge rates.

The CHAdeMO standard, on the other hand, lags well behind the CCS standard. CHAdeMO 1.0 (which is likely what we see at most charging stations) is limited to 500V/125A, or 62.5kW (although effectively this is a 50kW charger as vehicle battery voltages in this class are 400V. There may be some CHAdeMO 1.2 stations out there, which do raise the current to 400A for cars that can draw that much current, but since there aren't any, and with even Nissan apparently abandoning CHAdeMO, I would not count on any deployments going forward.

CHAdeMO roadmap:
upload_2021-1-29_8-26-6.png

CHAdeMO 2.0 support would be required to get the 350kW out of the charging station, but again, this would imply an 800V+ battery, and again, with EV makers essentially abandoning CHAdeMO, my guess is that this will never see the light of day, unless it's limited to heavy duty vehicles (buses) and heavy equipment.

Additionally, even if EA "raised the limit" going through the CHAdeMO connector past 50kW, the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter itself is only spec'ed for 50kW and will therefore never request more than 50kW from the charging station.

The only real path forward here is for Tesla to release their CCS1->Tesla adapter for the North American market.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
While the cabinet may technically have a 350kW power rating, that almost certainly is not possible through the CHAdeMO connector.

350kW charging stations provide higher power through special liquid cooled CCS cables and connectors, and I believe only at higher voltage (800V or more) that only CCS currently supports. Liquid cooled cables are required to support the higher charge current (up to 500A) to support the higher charge rates.

The CHAdeMO standard, on the other hand, lags well behind the CCS standard. CHAdeMO 1.0 (which is likely what we see at most charging stations) is limited to 500V/125A, or 62.5kW (although effectively this is a 50kW charger as vehicle battery voltages in this class are 400V. There may be some CHAdeMO 1.2 stations out there, which do raise the current to 400A for cars that can draw that much current, but since there aren't any, and with even Nissan apparently abandoning CHAdeMO, I would not count on any deployments going forward.

CHAdeMO roadmap:
View attachment 631882
CHAdeMO 2.0 support would be required to get the 350kW out of the charging station, but again, this would imply an 800V+ battery, and again, with EV makers essentially abandoning CHAdeMO, my guess is that this will never see the light of day, unless it's limited to heavy duty vehicles (buses) and heavy equipment.

Additionally, even if EA "raised the limit" going through the CHAdeMO connector past 50kW, the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter itself is only spec'ed for 50kW and will therefore never request more than 50kW from the charging station.

The only real path forward here is for Tesla to release their CCS1->Tesla adapter for the North American market.

Thanks for the information. There seems to be a remote possibility of going to 62.5KW.

Waiting for Tesla to release a CCS1 to Tesla adapter is an alternative if you don't want to leave the Tesla at home , another alternative
is to take the ID-3/4 or the Taycan.

Thanks for the information. There seems to be a remote possibility of going to 62.5KW.

No, not really. The 62.5kW comes from 500V at 125A. Meaning if you had a car that would request the full 125A, the charging station would be able to deliver that at up to 500V, but given that your Tesla battery is going to be below 400V while charging, effectively you are going to see 50kW or below. I'm not aware of any 500V EVs out there.

No, not really. The 62.5kW comes from 500V at 125A. Meaning if you had a car that would request the full 125A, the charging station would be able to deliver that at up to 500V, but given that your Tesla battery is going to be below 400V while charging, effectively you are going to see 50kW or below. I'm not aware of any 500V EVs out there.

ok thanks for the clarification.

Back to the topic, if I have some time available I may make a trip by the new Newnan Supercharger site
at 555 Bullsboro Dr , Target parking lot.

Last edited:
Visited the Newnan Target SC installation site today.

As you can see by the pics, most of the concrete bases are installed (9), as well as 8 of the Charging Pedestals. Considering that there is almost always one stall for forward parking, (compared to most stalls that need to be backed into), this might be a 10-pedestal site.

Attachments

• Newnan Pedistal #2.jpg
    Newnan Pedistal #2.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Newnan Pedistal #4.jpg
    Newnan Pedistal #4.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Newnan Control #1.jpg
    Newnan Control #1.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 61
A friend stopped by and reports that this will be a 12 pedestal site, not 8! Still V3 of course.

But this install actually includes two Chargepoint pedestals with two J1772 plugs each. I've never seen Chargepoint stations go in as part of a Tesla SC installation; at most you might see Clipper Creek J1772 stations at Tesla HPWC / destination sites. I wonder if these CPs were mandated by property owner or municipality or utility.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
A friend stopped by and reports that this will be a 12 pedestal site, not 8! Still V3 of course.

But this install actually includes two Chargepoint pedestals with two J1772 plugs each. I've never seen Chargepoint stations go in as part of a Tesla SC installation; at most you might see Clipper Creek J1772 stations at Tesla HPWC / destination sites. I wonder if these CPs were mandated by property owner or municipality or utility.
Including the Chargepoint L2 stations is part of Tesla's supercharger hosting deal with Target stores.