Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newport, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdreamer

Plaid Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
A notation in the Newport, ME select board meeting minutes from 5/4/22 states Tesla charging stations are coming from the Hannaford Supermarket in town. The Tesla Coming Soon map now shows this location as a Q2 2023 target opening.

From the 2/2/22 select board minutes:

1659748885793.png

44 Moosehead Trail, Newport, ME 04953

@tes-s @corywright

Last edited:
Newport, ME

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Hannaford
Along Primary Interstates: I-95
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-2E
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-95

To: Medway, ME - 88.2 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: End (Canada at Houlton, ME) - 148.4 miles
To: Brewer, ME (I-95, I-395) - 31.6 miles (10.8 mile, 14 minute diversion off I-95)

US-2E

To: Brewer, ME - 30.1 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles
To: End (I-95 Houlton@Canada, ME) - 156.9 miles

Splitter! (Although there is a diversion at Brewer, ME)
Splits the 114.4 mile gap, 27.4 miles from Waterville, ME (Construction), 88.2 miles to Medway, ME.

Another Hannaford Supercharger.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
I just read through *every* select board meeting minutes from 5/4/2022 (linked above) to 6/7/2023 (last posted on the web site) 2023 Selectboard - Newport, ME and there has been no mention of the charging project.

I should be driving by tomorrow on my way home from a trip up north. Will take a look at the proposed site.
The issue was raised at the 2/2/2022 SB meeting with an update in 5/2022, but nothing since. I do see that the Tesla "coming soon pin" has since moved to 2024 which is not unusual. While a drive-by if in the area is appreciated, chances are there will be nothing to see. Best case would be some really old survey markings if they got that far.

Reactions: kayak1
The issue was raised at the 2/2/2022 SB meeting with an update in 5/2022, but nothing since. I do see that the Tesla "coming soon pin" has since moved to 2024 which is not unusual. While a drive-by if in the area is appreciated, chances are there will be nothing to see. Best case would be some really old survey markings if they got that far.
Oh... and as long as you're up that way - if you happen to be swinging through Bangor, ME and want to check to see what's happening at the proposed site there that would be great! Supposed to be part of a new Starbucks location being built at 685 Broadway in Bangor.

Oh... and as long as you're up that way - if you happen to be swinging through Bangor, ME and want to check to see what's happening at the proposed site there that would be great! Supposed to be part of a new Starbucks location being built at 685 Broadway in Bangor.

The Bangor is/was to be a new development that would include a Starbucks.

Reactions: Tdreamer and kayak1
Sadly Bangor is about an extra 30 min to the East for me and I have a feeling the fiancée is going to want to get home. I will be coming down RT 7 from Dover-Foxcroft.

I don't expect to see anything in Newport, but we will be literally driving by.

We are talking about maybe stopping in Bangor on trip this summer as a planned deviation. If we do I will be sure to post.

Matthew

Reactions: kayak1
As expected "nothing to see". I did not see any faded survey markings either, I did look around the current parking stalls.

That said the space to he right (West) of the "The Clink" certainly looks like a nice spot for a set of charging stalls. There is a high voltage power line that runs adjacent to the site along the driveway to the rear of the Hannafords. I would assume power would come from that line, likely adjacent to "The Clink" power tap.

View to the Left (East)
The Clink - East.jpeg

View to the Right (West) - Stalls are expected in this area per Select Board meeting notes.
The Clink - West.jpeg

I spoke to the Town Manager (Jim Ricker) and received some additional insight on this project.

Apparently the traffic light at the intersection adjacent to the Hannaford's (44°50'13.4"N 69°17'07.2"W) is being removed and replaced with a roundabout. The plans for the roundabout are being "finalized" now and will be sent out to bid in the fall. Construction would come after that, but TBD on timeline.

The proposed roundabout design has the Hannaford's driveway pretty much exactly where the proposed site for the Superchargers are planned to go. As a result, the Supercharger install has been put on hold pending the final design and possibly construction of the roundabout.

TL;DR: This site is on hold pending an intersection reconfiguration on State RT 2, my guess is we are going to be waiting a while for this site.

Tesla has a NEVI award for this location.
Based on the contract date and 12 month requirement either they'd ask for extra time, or go ahead and build before all the road construction is done.
I can only image they'll want to wait.