Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Nipigon, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Preliminary work currently occurring at the Nipigon Supercharger, where construction supplies are on site (Tourist Information Centre). The PlugShare user who told me about the construction took some photos of the site and should be able to post them on PlugShare soon. I’ve taken to Supercharge Info to put this location as under construction while we await them.

1C49EAB1-05BF-4A71-83F0-7D719853A579.jpeg

Preliminary work currently occurring at the Nipigon Supercharger, where construction supplies are on site (Tourist Information Centre). The PlugShare user who told me about the construction took some photos of the site and should be able to post them on PlugShare soon. I’ve taken to Supercharge Info to put this location as under construction while we await them.

View attachment 451769
Yay! Looks like I called one week too early :D

Supercharger equipment on site in Nipigon. I was expecting a bit more than that, but, those are the conduits for this location, so construction shouldn’t be that far away. Photo by Angelo on PlugShare. (He also updated me on White River, see that thread)
84535C3F-E304-4D09-B504-0801424E6F6C.jpeg

Now the only gap over 250km between Vancouver and Halifax (counting sites with permit or under construction) is from Ignace to Nipigon. Anyone in Thunder Bay looking for a site under construction there? My guess is Red River Road just south of Highway 17. Lots of shopping and fast food there. This is much closer to Nipigon than Ignace, but still within range of Ignace, and it would work for trans-Canada traffic as well as people going to/from Duluth.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Now the only gap over 250km between Vancouver and Halifax (counting sites with permit or under construction) is from Ignace to Nipigon. Anyone in Thunder Bay looking for a site under construction there? My guess is Red River Road just south of Highway 17. Lots of shopping and fast food there. This is much closer to Nipigon than Ignace, but still within range of Ignace, and it would work for trans-Canada traffic as well as people going to/from Duluth.
That sounds like a great location. It does leave a little over 230km to Ignace, if 102 is a credible highway (it’s not gravel or seasonal or something?) More if you took 17 all the way.

Is there any location between T-Bay & Ignace that might host a SC? Remember you don’t need that much. Just hydro, so a gas station stop would suffice.

That sounds like a great location. It does leave a little over 230km to Ignace, if 102 is a credible highway (it’s not gravel or seasonal or something?) More if you took 17 all the way.

Is there any location between T-Bay & Ignace that might host a SC? Remember you don’t need that much. Just hydro, so a gas station stop would suffice.
Upsala was listed on Tesla's tentative Supercharger map - probably something in and around there would fit the bill quite nicely. I tried calling a couple of places in Upsala a couple weeks ago but nobody knew anything at that time - I plan to try again mid-October when I hear back from White River about their status.

Reactions: SammichLover
Now the only gap over 250km between Vancouver and Halifax (counting sites with permit or under construction) is from Ignace to Nipigon.

Actually, the gap is from calgary to sudbury... There are (approx) 59 operational superchargers, 24 in construction and 12 listed as permit in canada on supercharge.info. So far, no supercharger between the already existant gap of calgary to sudbury have shown significant signs of going live soon. It eventually will, but we are far from it. :(

Actually, the gap is from calgary to sudbury... There are (approx) 59 operational superchargers, 24 in construction and 12 listed as permit in canada on supercharge.info. So far, no supercharger between the already existant gap of calgary to sudbury have shown significant signs of going live soon. It eventually will, but we are far from it. :(
What a load of Eeyore moaning, on top of ignoring the OP’s explicit qualifier.

The construction beginning signals most of the overall work completed. Permitting, negotiations of leases, lining up contractors, etc is a lot of time intensive work with a lot risk of failure requiring a restart.

Once construction begins very few SC fail to open within a few months. Groundwork completed, in so many locations, also removes the one key difference in timeline constraints in cold climate.

We’re down to a handful months. The only real chokepoint to be concerned about is Tesla gear backlog, primarily pedestals.

Last edited:
What a load of Eeyore moaning, on top of ignoring the OP’s explicit qualifier.

The construction beginning signals most of the overall work completed. Permitting, negotiations of leases, lining up contractors, etc is a lot of time intensive work with a lot risk of failure requiring a restart.

Once construction begins very few SC fail to open within a few months. Groundwork completed, in so many locations, also removes the one key difference in timeline constraints in cold climate.

We’re down to a handful months. The only real chokepoint to be concerned about is Tesla gear backlog, primarily pedestals.

And, as we saw in Fredericton, pedestals can be installed in ANY weather. So right you are, it looks like all the important summer time work is nearing completion, even if they go deep into the winter installing pedestals we could wake up one day with Coast to Coast coverage.

And, as we saw in Fredericton, pedestals can be installed in ANY weather. So right you are, it looks like all the important summer time work is nearing completion, even if they go deep into the winter installing pedestals we could wake up one day with Coast to Coast coverage.
Working outside in the cold, handling lots of metal, still sucks but digging in frozen ground and pouring concrete is an entirely different level of PITA and at least the snow keeps the blacks flies & misquotes at bay. No small thing in a lot of these locations. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
As others pointed out, it looks like you missed the part of my post where I said "counting sites with permit or under construction" even though you quoted it. The Vancouver to Halifax supercharger network is getting close to completion. I would be surprised if it's not done by this time next year, which will mean around 100 SC locations in Canada. Huge progress from when I got my Model S just under 6 years ago, when there were exactly zero. (BTW, there are 64 operational supercharger locations in Canada today - check supercharge.info.)

Can't wait. I'm from Thunder Bay and planning a road trip from Vancouver area to TBay in October. Looks like I might have to go through the US sadly (no offence to American folks!)
Yeah, unlikely much that's under construction now will be turned on next month. Davidson, which has a bunch of the gear installed and thus closest to finished, isn't really on the route you'd normally take.

Fortunately you'll be able to make it all the way through the US on SC network and its less than 200 miles from Duluth to T-Bay.

View attachment 458598 I work in nipigon and commute from Thunder Bay.

Progress is being made on super charger site
From looking at that picture, it appears that they're just collecting supplies at the moment and haven't started any actual digging - I don't see any piles of disturbed dirt. Hopefully they get the heavy equipment in there soon - not much time left in digging season in NW Ontario, and they still have to get through TBay, Upsala, Ignace, Dryden, and Kenora...