Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've charged there twice in a few days now. Only saw 2 other Teslas. Of note, there is a good Thai restaurant about 10-15 minutes walk from the SC. It's called Sawasdee Thai Cuisine (5601 East Virginia Beach Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23502). The food and service were both excellent, so if you willing and able to make the stroll, I recommend it!
IMG_0003.jpg

Reactions: bhzmark
Checking in on this thread to see if there ever was closure. Interestingly, OSHA still lists on their public web site as open. I would think the investigating should be done by now. I wonder if "open" merely references bureacratic stuff (eg they assessed a penalty but the employer is contesting the fine, in court) or if there is actually something happening.

Don't know about closure but I used it in March for the firs time. Convenient, despite the somewhat run-down shopping center. They had a Hooters within walking distance so my buddy and I just camped there for 45 minutes while I charged up for the return to Richmond.

For those of us who travel between RVA and VA Beach and return on the same day, this supercharger is a godsend. I used to bring an extension cord and plug in at a friend's office. But I knew I could only get a few miles of charge before returning home so I had to go really conservative on the way down to ensure I had the miles on the way back. One time had to stop at the rest area on 64 for an hour just to squeeze 4 more miles of range to make it home. Now I can go full bore!

Yeah, I've used it a few times. It really is a huge help. Last weekend I used it (over St Patrick's weekend) I got there at like 10% and discovered power was off to the entire complex. I didn't have enough charge to make it back to the house at the oceanfront and back to the charger later. It sucks that the nav system couldn't warn me that it was down, because I'd just have stayed at the oceanfront and waited. Now I was stuck. I called Tesla and they confirmed that the whole station was down (local businesses were on, but a few stoplights were out). We reviewed a few plugshare options and I grumpily resolved to spend hours charging instead of minutes. Fortunately, power came back on shortly afterwards and the Tesla guy was nice enough to give me a call back and let me know, so I unhooked from the crappy level 2 and got what I needed from the supercharger.

That is normal :)
In general have about 15-20 Tesla cars in area and not many charge its there because of not abuse ''travel only supercharge rule '' what Tesla made a couple months ago... I do usually stop by there about ones a week and know ....when one is there ...many times attract attention ... that mean if you don't want no one to stop and talk to you or at list make a picture of your car... just charge it at home :) attention come whit the car as bonus ... and Tesla have to pay everyone who charge on that places, because we are unpaid advertisers when we charge at the superchargers ....

That is normal :)
In general have about 15-20 Tesla cars in area and not many charge its there because of not abuse ''travel only supercharge rule '' what Tesla made a couple months ago... I do usually stop by there about ones a week and know ....when one is there ...many times attract attention ... that mean if you don't want no one to stop and talk to you or at list make a picture of your car... just charge it at home :) attention come whit the car as bonus ... and Tesla have to pay everyone who charge on that places, because we are unpaid advertisers when we charge at the superchargers ....

You know, I've read that Tesla accounts some or all of the Supercharger network as a marketing expense - maybe this is what they meant. :)

I've charged there twice in a few days now. Only saw 2 other Teslas. Of note, there is a good Thai restaurant about 10-15 minutes walk from the SC. It's called Sawasdee Thai Cuisine (5601 East Virginia Beach Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23502). The food and service were both excellent, so if you willing and able to make the stroll, I recommend it!
View attachment 106778
There's also a good Indian restaurant "Nawab" within walking distance of the location.

Reactions: bhzmark
Looking at a trip down to Outer Banks come the fall, and it seems like this charger is, uh, perfect. Girlfriend's leery of the Norfolk traffic. How much a pain is it to get to this charger midday during the week?

midday isn't so bad, but like any good-sized city that is anywhere desirable for tourists (or at least along their route to tourist-y places), things get "iffy" after ~ 3:30-4pm every day.

If you can get in, get your electrons, and get moving before 4pm, you should be ok.

(Note: I do currently live in MA, but I lived in the Norfolk/VB area for 15 years).

You shouldn't have any issues traveling mid-morning to mid-afternoon weekdays thru the Hampton Roads region especially after beach season. However, weekends during the summer months is pure suicidal! If you are traveling west on rt. 64 from Richmond and you see any traffic issues on your iPhone just jump on rt. 60. for a bit before Williamsburg. If you see any traffic issues after Williamsburg, just grab rt. 143 and return to 64 at the Fort Eustis exit/entrance. If for some CRAAZY reason the HRBT is a mess (such as boat has fallen off its trailer in the tunnel again) you can take rt. 664 across the MMBT. If I am in town, I have 72a WPWC in Wmbg, if you need it.

I am just too old to fight traffic anymore, but I would certainly take the trip you are proposing.

First question is what part of the outer banks are you going to. I have gone down I95 to Rocky Mount and over 64, not the best way to go
for us. We will be heading to Frisco this week end. First stop will be Salisbury MD then Norfolk VA. South on 168 and then down 12 to Buxton / Frisco. Trip should take a little over 10 Hours depending on traffic.

If your staying at the North End let us know of any charging locations. If your heading South, the INN on Pamlico Sound has a Tesla
charger.

Looking at a trip down to Outer Banks come the fall, and it seems like this charger is, uh, perfect. Girlfriend's leery of the Norfolk traffic. How much a pain is it to get to this charger midday during the week?

We actually just got back from a trip to the Outer Banks (from Northern Virginia) and stopped at the Norfolk SC both ways. The I-64 tunnel was severely backed up both ways so we ended up taking I-664 to I-264 then up Rt. 11. Ate at the Qdoba. It's a large strip mall so there are a bunch of food options.

At the Outer Banks we stayed in Corolla. There's a place called Wild Horse Adventure Tours that has a free public charger. I stopped by and used it for 45 min or so while we shopped at the Harris Teeter. (Met another Model S owner too!) But honestly, we didn't do much driving while there and the 110 outlet outside the house provided more than enough for our week's stay.

And I agree with linkster, take Rt. 60 if I-64 is backed up.

Have a great trip!

BTW, be sure to join the DC Area Group and look out for events!

Just wanted to mention to everyone visiting OBX to keep destination charging in mind. Many business owners won't know about it unless they are told. If you know any place interested have them reach out to [email protected] or fill out the form here: Destination Charging

I can even send you a PDF that you can print out to keep in your glovebox to give out. The program only grows by word of mouth.

• Love
Reactions: CatB and linkster
I agree with EVTECH that we have to encourage not only business owners but also real estate companies to install chargers. Every rental property has 220 power and it’s just a mater of having Tesla owners asking real estate agents every time we go to rent a property, does it have a NIMA 14/50 outlet for us to plug into.

I know that the INN on Pamlico Sound has Tesla chargers, if we don’t stay for a week end we try to stop for dinner. Another Tesla charger is located at the Tanger shopping mall just North of the Manteo cause way. I think we should make an effort to have the park service install chargers at the Hattears light house and the Wright Brothers Memorial.

Maybe next year with a little planning we can meet at the Wright Brothers Memorial for a Tesla Drive Inn.