Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a more recent post somewhere that said it was coming for the US in a few weeks...so for us, maybe a couple months...again.

Yah. Who knows. Pretty big deal for us because of where we travel although I think we are a bit of an edge case. Chademo and CCS locations outnumber Supercharger locations by a considerable amount here. Maybe the model Y will have a CCS port as well. . That would work for us.

Do these conduit layouts seem familiar?

[Edit] I drove around for over an hour looking for something and this was the closest thing I could find.

yeVL84C.jpg

lol well, that portion of the highway is my normal route...I'd have to go on a true Mission to check out all the possibilities. Its going to be nice tomorrow tho, might be a nice day for a drive...but yah, if you can post pics that would be awesome.
Check the pic I just posted, I'm almost 100% certain this is the SC site. Canadian Tire on McKeown.

Do these conduit layouts seem familiar?

[Edit] I drove around for over an hour looking for something and this was the closest thing I could find.
Ok. I’ll take your word for it since I’ve just added this on supercharge.info.

I just have to ask, did your company show you any of the details for this Supercharger (location, type, etc) or did you just find out it was under construction and start a search?

Either way, I’m happy to know that it’s under construction and coming soon. I’d also recommend you take a spin out to Espanola early July if you find a Supercharger under construction there...

I only had info that it was going to happen "soon" and was out there the other day and decided to check around. This is the result of me driving aimlessly around lol

But I've seen enough in-construction superchargers that the conduit pattern and SC station layout is fairly distinct. You can even see the pad for the utility transformer.

When the weather is nice and I have some time I'll take a drive out to Espanola and check around there too... Actually maybe tonight or tomorrow.

North Bay has been long "coming soon" and will be a big help but Ottawa to Sudbury on SCs is still pretty iffy in anyting less tan a Model S 100 KWh battery or a long range Model 3 and even then.... The hills between Deep River and Mattawa are pretty severe, 3 cycles of 150m each mean. Yes there's a KSI charger in Mattawa but we all know about their deplorably poor availability and customer gouging prices!! Hopefully North Bay being built is an indication that Deep River is also imminent and that makes Ottawa to Sudbury readily doable.. Renfrew is rather an odd location as it doesn't really facilitate travel on the Hwy 17 portion of the Trans Canada. Looking forward to seeing progress on North Bay and hearing any further word on Deep River.

I only had info that it was going to happen "soon" and was out there the other day and decided to check around. This is the result of me driving aimlessly around lol

But I've seen enough in-construction superchargers that the conduit pattern and SC station layout is fairly distinct. You can even see the pad for the utility transformer.

When the weather is nice and I have some time I'll take a drive out to Espanola and check around there too... Actually maybe tonight or tomorrow.

I take it you are in Sudbury so Deep River is beyond your company's jurisdiction and too far for a fact finding trip. I'll try to browse around Deep River when I go through there in a few weeks and report back If I see anything. Since North Bay is at a CT then perhaps CT in Deep River is a decent bet?

I take it you are in Sudbury so Deep River is beyond your company's jurisdiction and too far for a fact finding trip. I'll try to browse around Deep River when I go through there in a few weeks and report back If I see anything. Since North Bay is at a CT then perhaps CT in Deep River is a decent bet?
I wouldn't say that...The CT in North Bay is surrounded by plazas, strip malls, and restaurants. Very central to shopping, I don't think it had much to do with CT itself, beyond having the space for it. The ones in Huntsville/Sudbury are not near any CT. Just thinking out loud tho, I'm no expert on SC locations...

Reactions: MarcoRP
It might be, but I’d look a little further. I hear construction starts end of the month.

I wouldn't say that...The CT in North Bay is surrounded by plazas, strip malls, and restaurants. Very central to shopping, I don't think it had much to do with CT itself, beyond having the space for it. The ones in Huntsville/Sudbury are not near any CT. Just thinking out loud tho, I'm no expert on SC locations...

I'm well aware of Sudbury's SC location and the reported North Bay location. I'm from Sudbury with family still living there but have lived in Ottawa for a long time so I make the round trip a lot (better than monthly at times). Hence why I've been both awaiting this corridor development and actively lobbying Tesla for the last 4 years. The point was that CT in North Bay has room and when considering Deep River there are very few places along Hwy 17 which could host an 8 stall (or even 4 stall) SC. CT is the primary large parking lot of them all which is reasonably close to food locations. The Deep River Timmies can't even support the KSI Charger at 50 KW so it has been down-rated to 25 kW so it is unlikely without a major electrical upgrade and the only area of parking an SC could be located there is gravel so..... I can't imagine the SC would be located anywhere other than along Hwy 17 - I could be proven wrong but anywhere off Hwy 17 would be quite a time consuming impediment to travel through Deep River.

Supercharger.info now reports North Bay has started construction for 8 stalls at 890 McKeown Ave.

A Better Route Planner says I should be able to do Sudbury via North Bay to Ottawa 100% to 8%, < 6 hours. in Tesla X 100. Sure beats 7:30 hours via Huntsville.

Am I too optimistic? I travel in August. I'm guessing Renfrew won't be up by August since they haven't started yet.

I'm well aware of Sudbury's SC location and the reported North Bay location. I'm from Sudbury with family still living there but have lived in Ottawa for a long time so I make the round trip a lot (better than monthly at times). Hence why I've been both awaiting this corridor development and actively lobbying Tesla for the last 4 years. The point was that CT in North Bay has room and when considering Deep River there are very few places along Hwy 17 which could host an 8 stall (or even 4 stall) SC. CT is the primary large parking lot of them all which is reasonably close to food locations. The Deep River Timmies can't even support the KSI Charger at 50 KW so it has been down-rated to 25 kW so it is unlikely without a major electrical upgrade and the only area of parking an SC could be located there is gravel so..... I can't imagine the SC would be located anywhere other than along Hwy 17 - I could be proven wrong but anywhere off Hwy 17 would be quite a time consuming impediment to travel through Deep River.
There are plenty of scientific minds in Deep River. They'll be able to solve the electrical issues.

Supercharger.info now reports North Bay has started construction for 8 stalls at 890 McKeown Ave.

A Better Route Planner says I should be able to do Sudbury via North Bay to Ottawa 100% to 8%, < 6 hours. in Tesla X 100. Sure beats 7:30 hours via Huntsville.

Am I too optimistic? I travel in August. I'm guessing Renfrew won't be up by August since they haven't started yet.

North Bay to Ottawa (eastbound) will be touch and go for you in a Model X. The problem is the 3 cycles of hills between Mattawa and Deep River where each time you go from river level to hilltop back to river level you gain and loose over 150m of elevation. The energy recovery on the way down of course never equals the extra energy expended going up the hill. (There's also a few good hills between North Bay and Mattawa but nowhere near the three mentioned.) If you want to risk trusting the availability of the KSI charger at the Deep River Tim Horton's then you would be fine with 12-15 KWhs of charge there. Westbound is much worse. Because of the geology of the area the east side of the hills are much steeper than the west side so I would say that Ottawa to North Bay is just too much. I wouldn't chance it in my Model S P85+ and since I don't trust KSI chargers to be working I either take an ICE on that route or go via Toronto (did it once won't do it again - 800 kms rather than 480 kms). There is another KSI charger in Mattawa which would make Ottawa to North Bay possible, again if you trust it's availability. I've made this trip many many times in various ICE cars and the westbound trip always uses 8-10% more fuel than the eastbound trip in the same weather, car loading conditions and speeds.

My thoughts based on driving this route many times over and oh so looking forward to the North Bay and Deep River SCs!!

There are plenty of scientific minds in Deep River. They'll be able to solve the electrical issues.

Not that it is electrically difficult or challenging, it's the inconvenience of potentially digging up the parking lot to bury the cables and the construction cost to Tesla. Sure the SC could be located at the Deep Rive Tim Horton's but one would think that there are other less expensive and difficult places for it to be built, as convenient as a Timmies location would be!

I would say the SC should be finished by then but the utility transformer was not on-site so that could be the hold up. At least in Sudbury it delayed opening around a month.