Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
North Bay to Ottawa (eastbound) will be touch and go for you in a Model X. The problem is the 3 cycles of hills between Mattawa and Deep River where each time you go from river level to hilltop back to river level you gain and loose over 150m of elevation. The energy recovery on the way down of course never equals the extra energy expended going up the hill. (There's also a few good hills between North Bay and Mattawa but nowhere near the three mentioned.) If you want to risk trusting the availability of the KSI charger at the Deep River Tim Horton's then you would be fine with 12-15 KWhs of charge there. Westbound is much worse. Because of the geology of the area the east side of the hills are much steeper than the west side so I would say that Ottawa to North Bay is just too much. I wouldn't chance it in my Model S P85+ and since I don't trust KSI chargers to be working I either take an ICE on that route or go via Toronto (did it once won't do it again - 800 kms rather than 480 kms). There is another KSI charger in Mattawa which would make Ottawa to North Bay possible, again if you trust it's availability. I've made this trip many many times in various ICE cars and the westbound trip always uses 8-10% more fuel than the eastbound trip in the same weather, car loading conditions and speeds.

My thoughts based on driving this route many times over and oh so looking forward to the North Bay and Deep River SCs!!

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a Chademo, so the KSI chargers are not an option. I guess I am too cheap to buy one for a single round trip. I guess the Huntsville detour is my route.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a Chademo, so the KSI chargers are not an option. I guess I am too cheap to buy one for a single round trip. I guess the Huntsville detour is my route.
There are several members and even TMC Ontario (if you are a member) will lend out CHAdeMO adapters for trips, just as an FYI if you ever do want to take that trip :)

Reactions: MarcoRP
Would you say it's possible for a P3D? Looking at the range it seems to leave >100km of play, between AC and elevation changes it feels like it should be possible in the summertime but might be tricky in the winter.

My original reply was specifically for a Model X 100 westbound from Ottawa to North Bay. In the summer westbound Ottawa to North Bay should be quite doable in a long range Model 3 as long as you keep to quasi-legal speeds (no more than 10 kph above the speed limit). As always when starting out on a new route with widely spaced SCs for the first time start slow (don't get carried away on the 427 dual carriageway) and monitor your energy consumption and adjust your speed to suit. You will have a pretty good indicator of how much reserve you will have upon arrival in North Bay by the time you reach Deux Riviere (completion of the the second of the 3 hill cycles when traveling westbound). The return trip should be no problem at all. Hopefully the Deep River SC will be operating by late summer or fall 19 which will resolve any concerns for traveling the Ottawa to Sudbury corridor in any Tesla, even an Model S 60

I could have sworn I posted this in the Sudbury thread (or maybe somewhere else?) back when I did it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere now.

This topic keeps coming up so posting it here. I drove from the Ottawa supercharger to the Sudbury supercharger in one shot in my S100D on April 10, 2018. The pics were taken when I arrived at the Sudbury SC. The drive was done from about 2-8pm. The sun was out but the temps were cold, barely above freezing for most of the drive. I used just about every hypermiling technique other than drafting (not much to draft on that highway).

I'm not at all recommending that others attempt this leg (certainly not in the dead of winter!), but just posting to show what is possible. If you do attempt, be sure to research hypermiling. And you could also look into the charging options along the way. I was actually planning to top off a little at a hotel in Pembroke (I think?) but there was an electric minivan plugged into it lol. Then by the time I got to North Bay, I figured I could make it all the way to Sudbury so I went for it. Also the L2 options in the North Bay area were diversions from the highway so that was another reason not to chance it with one of them not working.

I had plenty of air in the tires, didn't use any heat or a/c, kept the suspension low and drove at or maybe slightly below the speed limit the whole way. Didn't stop anywhere for any significant length of time as that would have allowed the battery and the cabin to get cold.

This is the uphill version of this trip by the way. Sudbury to Ottawa would have been much easier. And North Bay to Ottawa would be a relative piece of cake!

D8FB720E-5070-4705-9881-8BD563335AF4.jpeg
584EE646-645D-41CA-82FD-C2ABA790A1F5.jpeg

Last edited:
I could have sworn I posted this in the Sudbury thread (or maybe somewhere else?) back when I did it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere now...

Thanks for posting that. I have said for over 6 years now that long distance travel in the winter cold is completely viable in a Tesla and that you can't compare horrible Wh/km numbers that you get in short winter trips with what you get on longer hauls. On a long trip, the initial consumption will be high, but once the battery, cabin etc. are all up to temperature, it takes very little extra energy to keep it there and the overall trip average will be quite good. Two years ago I drove from Chicago to Toronto in -20C to -30C temperatures and I only used about 20% more than I would in ideal summer weather. Didn't even have to add extra charging stops over where I stop in summer, but I did use "Keep Climate On" at the Superchargers so that the car would stay warm.

The adapter was briefly advertised as available for the Model 3 - then Tesla pulled the website update and reverted back to "not available". Thinking is that when Japanese deliveries start - Allegedly 3rd quarter sometime, configurator is now open - then they would have to have Chademo compatibility because it's a common Japanese standard. Plus, they've been promising the Model 3 will work with competing chargers for a while. So maybe this was an indication that the update is imminent. ...or not.

I am doing Ottawa -> North Bay in August with my SR+ M3 and was planning on using one of the free chargers in Petawawa. I know it won't be the fastest charge but I figure it will be enough to push on through to NB. Does anyone have experience using these chargers?
I used the glenergy charger overnight 1.5 yrs ago. It worked well. PlugShare has some recent check ins

Sylvain Juteau of Station Roulez Électrique Trois Rivières did the test with the chademo adapter and it did not charge a Model 3
I'd be surprised if it did. There's a software patch needed for that to work. Whether that patch is needed for the car, the adapter, or both is beyond me.
I suspect the patch would be for just the car to update it's charger handshake protocols, and to set charging rates for use with chademo chargers, but that's speculation on my part.