Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Sudbury SC have no bollards and were damaged last year by plowing... blows my mind how they did not think of that.
Saw issues in Erie last year after their big snow storm. Owners were trying to charge but couldn’t back up close enough to plug in because of the snow mounds. Some jammed their cars into it and you could see the indentation in the snow. I cleared as much as I could without a shovel and still ended up with a scratch when I hit the frozen stuff I couldn’t move.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and JustMe
The tesla SC bollard positions are strange and do not appear to offer too much protection to the chargers. You would think they would be out front and twice as many if you are inviting people to back into them to charge. Especially with the snow removal required up here. Protect the money and functionally the charger. One thing for sure; if someone can take one out it gonna happen.

yah I was talking to a SC tech, and that's exactly what he said, that northern chargers get backed into a lot more than the southern ones do. They have repaired more than a few...

yah I was talking to a SC tech, and that's exactly what he said, that northern chargers get backed into a lot more than the southern ones do. They have repaired more than a few...

Can't blame accidents on the people responsible for them because they are accidents. Sacrifice solid concrete filled steel pipe instead of the the charger seems a bit obvious from the money/repair side. With the winter conditions up here I understand they are getting damaged, however, there is a tried and tested fixes for protecting pad mount transformers etc which should be used north to south. They understand bollards as they are in between; just maybe not positioning? Techs should not really blame anyone except Tesla for damage.

North Bay is still Temporarily closed. So are the ones on way to Sault Ste. Marie. Got a call from Tesla install and test team today. They want to make sure that they all are working fine. They will be open when they show on the on-board map and Tesla website as operational. Looks like supercharge.info jumped the gun.
So, this Sunday trip is postponed again until at least January.

North Bay is still Temporarily closed. So are the ones on way to Sault Ste. Marie. Got a call from Tesla install and test team today. They want to make sure that they all are working fine. They will be open when they show on the on-board map and Tesla website as operational. Looks like supercharge.info jumped the gun.
So, this Sunday trip is postponed again until at least January.
It's not really fair to say that supercharge.info jumped the gun. They only report what is reported on this forum (and elsewhere). They were open for a while and now they are not, so supercharge.info will be updated (again). Anyone planning on using a supercharger that is shown as "open" on supercharge.info but is not in the Nav should be aware that there is a risk of it not being functional when they arrive.

Can't blame accidents on the people responsible for them because they are accidents. Sacrifice solid concrete filled steel pipe instead of the the charger seems a bit obvious from the money/repair side. With the winter conditions up here I understand they are getting damaged, however, there is a tried and tested fixes for protecting pad mount transformers etc which should be used north to south. They understand bollards as they are in between; just maybe not positioning? Techs should not really blame anyone except Tesla for damage.

Sorry, I kind of do blame the drivers. Especially Tesla drivers - we have backup cameras and sensors, and I've found the measurement of gap remaining to be quite accurate. There's no reason we should be backing into things. People are too lazy to get out and have a look and wipe off their cameras. There are precious few acceptable reasons for backing up blind, especially when you KNOW you are backing up to a charger/structure. I would rather they make the cables a bit longer, this is what causes people to back right up close. tho I agree the bollards could use repositioning.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Sorry, I kind of do blame the drivers. Especially Tesla drivers - we have backup cameras and sensors, and I've found the measurement of gap remaining to be quite accurate. There's no reason we should be backing into things. People are too lazy to get out and have a look and wipe off their cameras. There are precious few acceptable reasons for backing up blind, especially when you KNOW you are backing up to a charger/structure. I would rather they make the cables a bit longer, this is what causes people to back right up close. tho I agree the bollards could use repositioning.

The possibilities could be mitigated; there are a lot of slick guards out there; top rail with pedestrian openings comes to mind (typical segments). Elon needs to come meet the people that remove all that snow. Possibly all are responsible and embrace EV's? I for one say he is welcomed to the North. Here is hoping the Y is built for it; heavy and all wheel drive gives it the potential to be a sled :D.

Cheers

Maybe more anti Tesla sentiment in Northern (pickup truck) country causing the damage.
I'd guess damage during snow removal much more than damage due to inadequate snow removal, over unseen pickup trucks, before jumping to any conclusions.

You'd be surprised how many EV owners in the west are waiting a 'a couple of weeks' that's become over a year, for any superchargers _at all_ to be able to take their car on trips. And how careful most Tesla owners are, when backing up a car that cost more than their first house. And how many people in pickup truck country want an EV but wouldn't have bought one if the salesperson hadn't skilfully lied about charging and range.

In the meantime, God Bless Peavey Mart and Sun Country Highways for putting in free L2 chargers without even having sold cars. If a third of businesses did it, I would almost never need a 'Supercharger'.

Incredibly simple fix - weld an additional pipe to the front of the existing bollard. Add about 6 inches of thick steel pipe so it is in front of the pedestal base. The back bollard is already well anchored.

But it doesn't solve the basic winter problem - people will back into a snow bank, and if that snow pile is hard enough - they get that way after a while - it will push back until that nice plastic pedestal cover gives. When it's basically a foot and a half of ice block, bollards won't stop that. A vehicle that can pull an F150 can push a foot of ice.