Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, I shall. I am understandably concerned to travel to that area and be at the end of my distance and not have a functional charging station. The on-board Tesla car app routed me differently indicating onMay 24th it was not operational. I don’t recall the exact phrase.
Hopefully you'll be able to get some info on it's status. There is a CHAdeMO fast charger at a tim hortons there if you have an adapter (only 35kw), but it looks to be really inconsistent whether it's working or not. Someone with an e-tron was able to charge a week ago using the CCS, but others couldn't activate it over the winter. There are also several public type 2 chargers in the area if you were prepared to spend the night to get a full charge if the supercharger isn't working.

Good luck!

Edit- it might also be worth trying to contact the Tesla Owners of Ontario to see if they might have info or could ask their members to check it if in the area

Tesla Owners Club – Ontario

Last edited:
Thank you, I shall. I am understandably concerned to travel to that area and be at the end of my distance and not have a functional charging station. The on-board Tesla car app routed me differently indicating onMay 24th it was not operational. I don’t recall the exact phrase.
Someone is Supercharging now in North Bay per PlugShare.
1133EC60-AB6C-4E4C-88B2-74CCF1C5CF3E.jpeg

Reactions: navguy12
Does anyone in North Bay area know if the charging station is working? I was heading to Temagami a few weeks back and had to travel through Sudbury as the charger was "closed"

any help gratefully appreciated.

Laurie
I'm in the same position, with a road trip I want to take from Ottawa to Kirkland Lake in the next week. North Bay is still marked as "Temporary Closure" on my Model 3 Navigation system. Anyone know how long North Bay has been in this state and if there is any way of pinging Tesla to get more details on the situation? I realize that there are some recent PlugShare uses of that location, but I'm uncomfortable having to rely on that site for my trip if the nav system marks it as closed. Thanks.

Plugshare is showing that the Supercharger is working, no evidence that it was down at all. Last check-in was on the 11th. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Yes, I've seen the latest Plugshare check ins for it so I do realize that people have been using it recently. Nonetheless, I'm not comfortable relying on that to guarantee that it is working when I'll need it, especially since Tesla still has it marked as "Temporary Closure".

Since many of the plugshare users who checked in since May 23rd have stated that it works even though the car says it's out of service, you might want to be just as skeptical of the in car status of all superchargers and the Tesla software itself rather than just this one location. Who's to say that you could pull up to the charger in Parry Sound or Sudbury that the car says is working, only to find that it isn't because apparently the in car status is not up to date? Also, wouldn't getting knowledge from people on this forum be of just the same value as checkins from plugshare users? The last 3 days people have checked in and said it works fine. How's that any different then if someone on here says the same? I'd say since users of the North Bay site have shown there's some uncertainty with the in car status then getting clarification directly from Tesla is the only sure fire way to find out what's going on. Unfortunately I hear that is a difficult thing to do. And even if you do talk to someone, they're most likely only going to look at the same status label as you're seeing in your car. Unless you can speak directly with someone who actually repairs or installs the superchargers.

Has anyone tried contacting the nearest service centre to let them know that people seem to be charging even though it's labelled as broken? Or tried Elon on twitter? Wawa seems to have similar issues according to plugshare users. In March and May, it was listed as reduced service, but 3 of the 6 stalls were fully working. Maybe this is what's happening in North Bay. Some are down and some are working.

I am at the site now, happily charging in North Bay.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The problem for me is that if I am towing, or it is cold, I have to plan another route. I can’t come here and be unable to charge. There is a destination charger at a restaurant / motel south of N Bay that has been amazing. It is slow, ther is no way to know if the one charger is in use. Last year my normal 3 hr 45 min drive from Tiny On took up to 12 hrs depending on other charting options

I can try tweeting Elon. But I guess that would involve joining Twitter.... not a fan

I have called Tesla about 8-10 times and emailed. They are lovely but just see what we do which is inaccurate as I am sitting here charging

I am absolutely grateful that it is a false negative message and also for the support and answers from other electrical vehicle owners!

with a huge relief!

Laurie

To add to my previous post, I went Ottawa -- North Bay -- Ottawa this past weekend and used Deep River and North Bay superchargers. I never usually supercharge since i have been able to loop around home base so I don't what is normal. I was only able to hit 80kw max at each stop (4 charges). The rate dropped to 35KW at about 70% SOC so that is likely normal but I think that the X should be able to get 120KW at least for the initial charge, especially on V3.

The drive to North Bay was very hot (33C) so I blamed it on that but I charged early the morning in North Bay to return and it was cloudy and 21C. In Deep River on return I was at 22% SOC, 22C, fresh off 180km drive with supercharger in Nav system, so that should be ideal charging conditions. Still only briefly touched 80KW.

Should I be concerned about my car or is it these Trans Canada route V3 charges that are not able to supply more power?
super.jpg

To add to my previous post, I went Ottawa -- North Bay -- Ottawa this past weekend and used Deep River and North Bay superchargers. I never usually supercharge since i have been able to loop around home base so I don't what is normal. I was only able to hit 80kw max at each stop (4 charges). The rate dropped to 35KW at about 70% SOC so that is likely normal but I think that the X should be able to get 120KW at least for the initial charge, especially on V3.

The drive to North Bay was very hot (33C) so I blamed it on that but I charged early the morning in North Bay to return and it was cloudy and 21C. In Deep River on return I was at 22% SOC, 22C, fresh off 180km drive with supercharger in Nav system, so that should be ideal charging conditions. Still only briefly touched 80KW.

Should I be concerned about my car or is it these Trans Canada route V3 charges that are not able to supply more power?View attachment 566669
Based only on my Model 3 experiences, I'd say you should be getting much more than 80 kW at 22% SOC.

was at 22% SOC . . . briefly touched 80KW.
My charge profile after a recent January road trip to Florida 2015 S:
2-15% - 129-100KW -If I got over 120 it would only last for about 3 minutes – Generally just over 100
15-25% 100-80kW
25-35% - 80-60kW
35-45% - 60-55kW
45-55% - 55-45kW
55-75% 45-35kW
75-85% 38-33kW

I also found the higher the state of charge when I started(didn't do that often) the slower it would be. Eg if I started at 22%, good chance I would only get 78kW. I would try testing at under 10%

Based only on my Model 3 experiences, I'd say you should be getting much more than 80 kW at 22% SOC.
Your Model 3 experiences are largely irrelevant to his Model S experience.

Those charge rates do seem a little low, but I wouldn't worry about it yet, seeing as it's only 2 different superchargers. If you have the same experience at like 10+ superchargers, you may wish to bring it up with Tesla, but be prepared for frustration when this happens lol.

How much range does your car have? It is 153km from the NB supercharger to New Liskeard. If you aren't doing too much driving around New Liskeard you might be okay to get back to North Bay. There does appear to be one or two L2 chargers in New Liskeard as well.