Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - North Bend, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just stopped in North Bend this Labor Day weekend, I’m forced to ask why in the heck would they install this at the North Bend Outlets? That is not a great outlet mall*. There is a Subway, a Mongolian Grill, and I think a Rocky Mountain Chocolate something or other as far as food.

*I’m exempting the beautiful view of the mountains from the outlet mall parking lot, which makes it picturesque...but still not a great outlet mall for spending any amount of time.

Across the BUSY street is a McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, an Arby’s, a Safeway, and so much more. Even a quarter mile further into town near The Iron Duck, The North Bend Bar and Grill, and other restaurants would be so much better.

Having just stopped in North Bend this Labor Day weekend, I’m forced to ask why in the heck would they install this at the North Bend Outlets? That is not a great outlet mall*. There is a Subway, a Mongolian Grill, and I think a Rocky Mountain Chocolate something or other as far as food.

*I’m exempting the beautiful view of the mountains from the outlet mall parking lot, which makes it picturesque...but still not a great outlet mall for spending any amount of time.

Across the BUSY street is a McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, an Arby’s, a Safeway, and so much more. Even a quarter mile further into town near The Iron Duck, The North Bend Bar and Grill, and other restaurants would be so much better.

I was looking on some maps trying to figure out if walking to the Starbucks would be realistic. It looks like it's ~1200 feet or something which shouldn't be too bad, but I was curious about crossing that road... at least there is a stoplight...

Not every business/landlord is willing to give up scarce parking spaces for superchargers. Malls or large stores usually have plenty of space hence you see tons of SCs there.

On the bright side, if they end up being V3, you shouldn’t need to spend much time there.

On the bright side, if they end up being V3, you shouldn’t need to spend much time there.
My opinion is that the whole concept of the V3 Supercharger is likely in a holding pattern. My perception is that Tesla has discovered that they have serious issues with existing battery chemistries charging that fast. They had intended to phase out v2 and switched their suppliers over to V3 equipment. Now they can't put in the V3 installations until they better assess what the implications are to battery longevity. The have to do SC installations, but did not have sufficient v2 supplies to finish them. Hence the multiple stalled installations all over.

Owners of 75 kW batteries used to pity 90 kW owners, but thought "glad I'm not affected". Then they were. 85 kW owners thought the same, then they were. 100 kW owners are starting to be capped.

Model 3 owners should not be feeling comfortable. All of the rest of us felt like our batteries were bulletproof when our cars were the age of yours, too. Don't count on it. Tesla could start capping you at any moment without warning.

My opinion is that the whole concept of the V3 Supercharger is likely in a holding pattern. My perception is that Tesla has discovered that they have serious issues with existing battery chemistries charging that fast. They had intended to phase out v2 and switched their suppliers over to V3 equipment. Now they can't put in the V3 installations until they better assess what the implications are to battery longevity. The have to do SC installations, but did not have sufficient v2 supplies to finish them. Hence the multiple stalled installations all over.

Owners of 75 kW batteries used to pity 90 kW owners, but thought "glad I'm not affected". Then they were. 85 kW owners thought the same, then they were. 100 kW owners are starting to be capped.

Model 3 owners should not be feeling comfortable. All of the rest of us felt like our batteries were bulletproof when our cars were the age of yours, too. Don't count on it. Tesla could start capping you at any moment without warning.

I don’t think that’s what’s going on. V2 and V3 have completely different infrastructure and wiring designs. Tesla continues to build V3 infrastructure along the Trans-Canada Highway, with several new construction sites opening up this week. If there was concern, I wouldn’t expect them to be going full speed ahead.

As for the V2 pedestal and V3 equipment delay, rumor has it that Tesla is switching Supercharger equipment production to the Buffalo Gigafactory from whatever supplier they were using before. There is a backlog of V2 pedestals and V3 electrical equipment and pedestals as they ramp up production. I can’t confirm that, but it certainly is plausible.

Are you saying that Tesla has recently started capping the various older batteries, in the chronological order you mentioned? (90kw, then 75kw, then 85kw)? My 85 has been very slow to charge recently (ex. maxing out at 90kw) and I’m suspecting this to be the case. (I know all the standard reasons why charging might be slower like sharing a pair with another active user, arriving with a soc that is too high, unoptimal battery temperature, etc, and none of these were the case in the cases I’m mentioning).

If you happen to have a link to a document or another thread that discusses this I would love to look at it, as I’m considering asking my service center about this. Capping my charge rate will impact my annual trips to CA and other longer drives we do.

You're being incredibly picky here. This may not be a GREAT outlet mall, but it is a GREAT location.

It always amazes me how quickly the supercharger threads turn from "yay we have a new supercharger" to "why didn't they put it over here instead?" or "when are they going to build one in <insert name of nearby city>?" This thread took less than 24 hours to deteriorate.

Are you saying that Tesla has recently started capping the various older batteries, in the chronological order you mentioned? (90kw, then 75kw, then 85kw)? My 85 has been very slow to charge recently (ex. maxing out at 90kw) and I’m suspecting this to be the case. (I know all the standard reasons why charging might be slower like sharing a pair with another active user, arriving with a soc that is too high, unoptimal battery temperature, etc, and none of these were the case in the cases I’m mentioning).

If you happen to have a link to a document or another thread that discusses this I would love to look at it, as I’m considering asking my service center about this. Capping my charge rate will impact my annual trips to CA and other longer drives we do.
There are a couple of major threads that are lengthy and hard to get through. People who have been capped are upset. People who have not spend a lot of time and verbiage on how those claiming to be capped are Tesla haters and/or inexperienced and what they see is normal. Complicating the situation is that at the exact same time as the capping swung into action, Supercharging rates for everyone else was being RAISED, so that made the cap-ees look even more silly in their claims. To top it off, Tesla started artificially reducing the battery capacity for some cars.

Anyway, those threads are a mess and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

There are many threads on this topic. My previous S90D was capped at 90kW and now my S100D is looking like it might be suffering a similar fate (need to go on a longer trip to get a bigger sample to be sure). The service center will give you the standard cop-out answers that you listed above, but they either don't know the truth or they purposefully aren't telling it. They know the batteries are under warranty so they don't want to admit any fault.

There are a couple of major threads that are lengthy and hard to get through. People who have been capped are upset. People who have not spend a lot of time and verbiage on how those claiming to be capped are Tesla haters and/or inexperienced and what they see is normal. Complicating the situation is that at the exact same time as the capping swung into action, Supercharging rates for everyone else was being RAISED, so that made the cap-ees look even more silly in their claims. To top it off, Tesla started artificially reducing the battery capacity for some cars.

Anyway, those threads are a mess and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.
Just ask any of the guys in the top 10 of the superchargers visited list and they will tell you that the capping is real. I'm sure there are a lot of people who go on some 800-mile "epic" road trip once a year who think they know everything, but obviously the guys who are doing 50k+ road trip miles per year have a better idea what is going on.

• Love
Reactions: BerTX
You bought a much cheaper car. Stop whining.

Well there’s a lot of speculation that it’s artificially limited in its supercharging rate. Again, just speculation, but it seems like it should be able to do ~160kW. I would be plenty happy if it just was able to max V2 stations.

Also, I tried to buy a LR RWD option but Tesla couldn’t tell me when or IF they would be able to deliver.

(And I should note, I love my car. I’m very happy with it, I just wish Tesla would open up the option for faster supercharging and just clarify with a software screen warning that “frequently supercharging may degrade the battery faster” or something. I don’t supercharger frequently, but the handful of times I do take a trip during the year that extra 40kW would be nice to have on a V2/V3 station.)

Well there’s a lot of speculation that it’s artificially limited in its supercharging rate. Again, just speculation, but it seems like it should be able to do ~160kW. I would be plenty happy if it just was able to max V2 stations.

Also, I tried to buy a LR RWD option but Tesla couldn’t tell me when or IF they would be able to deliver.

(And I should note, I love my car. I’m very happy with it, I just wish Tesla would open up the option for faster supercharging and just clarify with a software screen warning that “frequently supercharging may degrade the battery faster” or something. I don’t supercharger frequently, but the handful of times I do take a trip during the year that extra 40kW would be nice to have on a V2/V3 station.)
Well, we are in agreement here. This is way off topic, but did they not tell you that supercharging would be slower with the SR3 than the LR3? Of course when I bought my S90D, they definitely didn't tell me that supercharging would be slower than people who were driving older S85s, so I'm guessing they didn't mention anything to you either.