Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - North Bend, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Unless they're taking a leaf out of Fortum's book in Norway and oversizing the transformer, because the extra cost of the higher-power transformer is relatively small. Not saying they are at all, just saying that it's not as simple as A => B.)

That would be a first for Tesla. Transformers for V2 sites have always been undersized for the total installed charging equipment.

(Unless they're taking a leaf out of Fortum's book in Norway and oversizing the transformer, because the extra cost of the higher-power transformer is relatively small. Not saying they are at all, just saying that it's not as simple as A => B.)

Each SC cabinets used 160 kVA = 640 kVA total for 4 SC cabinets. Depending on the utility company they may provide a 750 kVA or 1000 kVA transformer. At most Tesla sites they also weigh the need for future expansion and will on a site by site basis opt for capacity now verses adding it at the time of expansion to minimize impact to customers.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Each SC cabinets used 160 kVA = 640 kVA total for 4 SC cabinets. Depending on the utility company they may provide a 750 kVA or 1000 kVA transformer. At most Tesla sites they also weigh the need for future expansion and will on a site by site basis opt for capacity now verses adding it at the time of expansion to minimize impact to customers.

Are you talking about V2 sites or V3?

V2 sites typically use a 500 kVA transformer for eight stalls (4 144 kW charging cabinets) and a 750 kVA transformer for ten to fourteen stalls. The eighteen stall (nine cabinet) site in Springfield, VA has a 1,000 kVA transformer.

V3 sites typically have double the transformer size. An eight stall site gets a 1,000 kVA transformer. Las Vegas 24 stalls get a 2,500 kVA transformer. Many Trans-Canada Highway V3 sites are only getting six stalls installed, with room for two more (each cabinet can support up to four stalls and the sites are getting two charging cabinets).

There typically isn't additional headroom on the transformer side... but the opposite, where the transformer is smaller than the site's theoretical full load. Remember a transformer can supply more than its rated power for small periods of time, which Tesla has deemed acceptable for their use case. A site that's full all day will be limited by the transformer, as we saw in Asheville, NC a few weeks ago when the site was full for hours on end due to the Blue Ridge Parkway Tesla Rally.

This is a bit off-topic and has been discussed in other threads. The bottom line is that North Bend is a pretty standard V3 site with eight stalls, two charging cabinets and a 1,000 kVA transformer.

I stopped by tonight to grab some new photos. The concrete has been poured and the ground has been re-graded.

IMG_20191010_181724.jpg IMG_20191010_181743.jpg IMG_20191010_181749.jpg

...get some more pictures of the cabinet conduit and concrete foundation layout as well as see if there is a kVA rating on the transformer
The only information I could see on the transformer was a large "1000" and a smaller "277/480Y"
IMG_20191010_181627.jpg IMG_20191010_181637.jpg IMG_20191010_181653.jpg

#First! :p
My friend and I stopped by tonight to top up while grabbing dinner at the Country Pride to give it a test. Both our vehicles, a 2018 Model 3 and a 2017 Model X, reached a peak charge rate of 0 kWh. A tad slower than other stations, but I assume they'll get that worked out soon. Great location, lots of amenities, and easy access. Highly recommended!
IMG_20191016_182227.jpg

Joking aside, I don't see any additional progress since my last set of photos. It was raining so I didn't walk around looking for crates with the stalls but I'd bet we're still easily a couple weeks out before it's completed for final inspection.

Does anyone else commute over the pass daily? I got my Model 3 in June and commute from Cle Elum to Issaquah daily. I've put 18k miles on it since June. I really wish this station would get finished before the major snow starts!
You got an All Wheel Drive (LR) I hope to cope with the pass in winter.

With your daily commute range, you might want to find a cheaper/free charging option on the east side of the mountains if you are charging before going home every day, or in case you get stuck overnight and could sleep in the car with the heating on.

Does anyone know if you plug into a 110v outlet and run the heater in cold weather (say 25F) do you end up with a net charge or discharging of the battery?

With your daily commute range, you might want to find a cheaper/free charging option on the east side of the mountains if you are charging before going home every day, or in case you get stuck overnight and could sleep in the car with the heating on.

Does anyone know if you plug into a 110v outlet and run the heater in cold weather (say 25F) do you end up with a net charge or discharging of the battery?

Probably a discharge at 25F. I've heard reports that the heater takes approx 3kW, and I'm sure much more then that when warming a totally cold cabin. I suspect your discharge wouldn't be more than 1 to 1.5kW an hour though, especially if the cabin is like 65F or something to just keep from actually freezing :p

(A standard outlet is only providing about 1.4kW [12 amps at 120v] which isn't a whole heck of a lot to heat the car when you think of how much glass surface there is radiating that heat out into the cold. You can only produce 4,900 BTU before having to pull from the battery, and that's assuming 100% charger efficiency. Anyone know how many Sq Ft of glass is in a model 3? It might use thicker or different glass, but single pane glass has a U value that equals about 0.7 to 1.1 Btu/sf/hr/F. So 50 sq ft of glass would lose 1,400 Btu to 2,200 Btu an hour when the inside was 65F and the outside was 25F. That not factoring in any air leaks or all the rest of the vehicle that will be conducting heat from the cabin out to the outside. It would be even worse if you folded the back seats down to stretch out, because now you're actively heating a larger space, probably have even more air leaks, and just have sheet metal between you and outside and steel has a U Value of 1.2 Btu/sf/hr/F. That's probably good for another 1,300+ Btu... and I'm doing really rough estimates of surface area)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV and Rocky_H

For sure a discharge. I've even seen discharge on L2 chargers in sub-freezing temps.

Yes I have AWD and I just got a set of Arctic 12 tires put on for the winter. Got to try them out this morning in the first snow storm although it was pretty light. So far I've had no issues with my 160 mi a day commute even in the very cold temps. I actually live in the east side and just charge up every night. I plan to use this North bend super charger only when I need a little boost to get me home if I've run a bunch of errands on the west side from time to time.

Super excited cabinets are going in! Hopefully we get this online by end of next week maybe even end of this week!