Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - North Bethesda, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I was checking to see whether there had been any status change on the permits for the Bethesda superchargers at the Montgomery Mall (FYI, there hadn't) and I came across a new building permit application for an 8 stall supercharger in one of the parking garages at the Pike & Rose mall. The permit was applied for on 2019-06-12 but hasn't yet been approved. I've no idea whether this indicates anything about the Montgomery Mall superchargers being totally dropped or not.

Commercial Building Permit #: 879042

What
: new 8 stall supercharger permit applicaiton
Where: 11860 Trade St; North Bethesda, MD; 20852
GPS: 39.050367, -77.116562

@BlueShift @Chuq

Using their search, this is all the detail I see:

Permit Number 879042 Type Commercial Building
Application Date 06/12/2019 Issue Date
Final Date Status In Process
Work Type Alter Storage Building Site Address 11860 TRADE ST NORTH BETHESDA, MD 20852
Square Footage 1,400 Value $155,000.00
Subdivision Lot/Block N/A/N/A

Nothing indicating Superchargers.

Using their search, this is all the detail I see:

Permit Number 879042 Type Commercial Building
Application Date 06/12/2019 Issue Date
Final Date Status In Process
Work Type Alter Storage Building Site Address 11860 TRADE ST NORTH BETHESDA, MD 20852
Square Footage 1,400 Value $155,000.00
Subdivision Lot/Block N/A/N/A

Nothing indicating Superchargers.
Yeah, I found it via the Montgomery County Open Data portal listing all commercial building permit applications, but unlike the Permitting Services link I originally used that dataset doesn't give any ongoing information about the status of reviews, etc, just the current permit status. Plus, it's not quite so straightforward to find the data. So, I didn't bother linking to that source. But you can find it by searching "tesla" in the smaller, "Find in this Dataset" search bar under the header at the OpenData link above (i.e. NOT the big one at the top of the page). In the row for permit# 879042, if you scroll over to the Description column, it reads (you either have to leave your cursor over the text to see the full statement, or change the data display to single row by clicking that option next to the dataset search bar):
Customer Wants To Use ePlans. Interior work only, Tesla is proposing to install an 8 stall electric vehicle charging station w.in the ex. parking gara

Tesla + an 8 stall EVCS in a mall garage + $155,000 value = Supercharger.

Supercharger- North Bethesda, MD_permit app.JPG

Last edited:
I was checking to see whether there had been any status change on the permits for the Bethesda superchargers at the Montgomery Mall (FYI, there hadn't) and I came across a new building permit application for an 8 stall supercharger in one of the parking garages at the Pike & Rose mall. The permit was applied for on 2019-06-12 but hasn't yet been approved. I've no idea whether this indicates anything about the Montgomery Mall superchargers being totally dropped or not.

Commercial Building Permit #: 879042

What
: new 8 stall supercharger permit applicaiton
Where: 11860 Trade St; North Bethesda, MD; 20852
GPS: 39.050367, -77.116562

@BlueShift @Chuq

Just saw this update, thanks for the info as I've been wondering when they would start adding chargers this side of DC and the Potomac.

As far as the permits at the mall, I stopped in and asked about them earlier this summer. I was told that the mall is going to go through a renovation/demolition, in which large portions will be torn down. It sounded like everything aside from the movies and food court was getting phased out, not sure about that accuracy of this but it makes sense. It was posited that they would start with the Sears portion for obvious reasons.

Ironically they stated that the plan is to build a "Pike and Rose" walk-able style mixed commercial, residential, office community in it's place. I think if they keep the Tesla store located there, then we could expect there to be superchargers, but that will be years from now.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
From permit to on-line, I've never seen less than months. (from 'discovered construction' to on-line is a different matter depending on when the construction was discovered). However, yeas has definitely happened multiple times. (see King of Prussia, PA, Allentown, PA, ...)

• Informative
Reactions: LordMelkor
Reactions: Big Earl
ok. Thanks. I went back today to see if I see any cabinets and I didn’t. Must be on a different level.
Where are these planned for? Inside the garage across from REI side? I think they have few L2 chargers on one of the up ramps and it is very crowded. I have to see next time when I go where these are located. The Porshe dealer is right next door.

I know that garage and despise it. Very narrow entrance and very narrow 2-way travel up and down the ramp. always have people backed up waiting for someone to make it around the tight corner, or a log-jam created when someone coming down the ramp meets someone going up the ramp in the tight corner. Even my kids noticed all the scrapes and marks on the concrete posts that line the corners - a lot of cars have been damaged in this place! Really wish they had picked a better location...

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I know that garage and despise it. Very narrow entrance and very narrow 2-way travel up and down the ramp. always have people backed up waiting for someone to make it around the tight corner, or a log-jam created when someone coming down the ramp meets someone going up the ramp in the tight corner. Even my kids noticed all the scrapes and marks on the concrete posts that line the corners - a lot of cars have been damaged in this place! Really wish they had picked a better location...

How would Cybertruck will fare here?