Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC - Northlake Centre Parkway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, that is just ignorant of the charging situation in Charlotte.
We have had a TON of new Tesla owners in the area and since the introduction of the idle fees the issue of locals parking at the stations is not accurate.

The north Charlotte station covers the I-85 corridor and is pretty much a required stop for anyone coming from Atlanta and most folks coming south.

Simply put, Charlotte is way underserved and needs at least 3 more Superchargering stations in the vicinity.
I think he is simply saying that he's talked to a lot of folks who are local and chose to charge at the SC instead of putting in a charging setup at home (or because they can't).

I recently had a unique scenario where we started construction on a new house in July and sold our house in September so we had to move into an apartment for 3 months (just closed and moved into the new house this past weekend) so I was a fairly frequent SC user.

Charlotte is a city with LOTS of new folks moving here so I'd imagine we get a fair amount of folks doing something similar to what I was doing while they get permanently established. But using a SC as your main charging setup is a bad idea in general. I get a solid 30mi/hr while charging at home which is more than sufficient for everyday use and the cost to install it is relatively low.

Good news though with the lexington supercharger it's only 138 miles from columbia, SC or or 147 from greenville, SC. In theory clt is skippable all together now albeit requiring a deeper charge depending on the model.

Good news though with the lexington supercharger it's only 138 miles from columbia, SC or or 147 from greenville, SC. In theory clt is skippable all together now albeit requiring a deeper charge depending on the model.
Yes for most newer cars, no for the 90D crowd that still wants to go 7mph over posted limit.

Charlotte is a city with LOTS of new folks moving here so I'd imagine we get a fair amount of folks doing something similar to what I was doing while they get permanently established. But using a SC as your main charging setup is a bad idea in general. I get a solid 30mi/hr while charging at home which is more than sufficient for everyday use and the cost to install it is relatively low.
That is my point - people need to charge their cars (we did exactly the same thing when we sold our home) but unlike ~4 years ago, no one is just leaving their cars at the supercharger.

Charlotte needs way more options for charging.

Reactions: SigNC and turnem
I think he is simply saying that he's talked to a lot of folks who are local and chose to charge at the SC instead of putting in a charging setup at home (or because they can't).

I recently had a unique scenario where we started construction on a new house in July and sold our house in September so we had to move into an apartment for 3 months (just closed and moved into the new house this past weekend) so I was a fairly frequent SC user.

Yes, both in personal conversations as well as just looking at the license plates. While it's not 100% scientific, generally speaking at a supercharger, you see 50/50 in terms of in-state vs. out-of-state plates. In Charlotte, and granted I'll give you we haven't been down since January of last year because of the obvious, it's generally 6/8 or 7/8 or 8/8 in-state license plates across the charging stalls. We usually arrive around lunch time so it seems especially bad then.

I will also add that a local waiting in line did let us ditch last time because he saw the out-of-state plates and the car bursting at the seams with travel gear. We *really* appreciated that.

Reactions: turnem
Yes, both in personal conversations as well as just looking at the license plates. While it's not 100% scientific, generally speaking at a supercharger, you see 50/50 in terms of in-state vs. out-of-state plates. In Charlotte, and granted I'll give you we haven't been down since January of last year because of the obvious, it's generally 6/8 or 7/8 or 8/8 in-state license plates across the charging stalls. We usually arrive around lunch time so it seems especially bad then.

I will also add that a local waiting in line did let us ditch last time because he saw the out-of-state plates and the car bursting at the seams with travel gear. We *really* appreciated that.

Understood. Could be a decent amount of folks from the Raleigh/Durham area that traveled south and new juice to get home. Could describe some of the in-state plates that would be warranted.

I guess I tend to believe that if locals are using the Supercharger there is a good reason behind it. As some folks mentioned change in living situations.

I personally have charged there during test drives with my friends, but for only 1-2 minutes and it was never full when I visited.

Long story short, getting a new charger near North Lake is going to be great!

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Apparently, uptown supercharger has a target opening in Q2 2021 based on the Tesla find us.

upload_2021-1-6_15-35-53.png

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yes, I am hoping the permitting for the Uptown one starts after the North Lake Mall one is approved. And I hope this is not just a fluke.
Sorry guys, but I'm pretty sure this is the Northlake Mall location. That's just the way the "Coming Soon" map works. The pins are just put in the city center of the city of the coming soon site. If this is NOT the Northlake location, where is the Coming Soon pin for Northlake?

Reactions: airj1012
What’s wrong with that? I’ve been doing 5-7 mph above the posted limit for over a decade. Almost completely eliminates the risk of getting a speeding ticket.
I think my post was not clear enough.
I was trying to convey we need more chargers on the route so that ppl with older (and smaller) batteries can still go 5-7 mph over and not have to be relegated to the right lane going speed limit or below.

Sorry guys, but I'm pretty sure this is the Northlake Mall location. That's just the way the "Coming Soon" map works. The pins are just put in the city center of the city of the coming soon site. If this is NOT the Northlake location, where is the Coming Soon pin for Northlake?
And that's what I fear, but I am an optimist, so I will keep monitoring the permit db anyway :D!

Yep, having a pin centered on a city before the SC opens seems to be the norm.

Occasionally, the Destination Charger locations are mismarked on the Tesla map. I've reported to the Tesla Chatline that the "237 S Tryon Street Garage" (downtown Charlotte, NC) pin is wrong; however, to no avail. (And yes, it's still "downtown" to me rather than "uptown", regardless of what a past governor/city mayor wants me to call it.)

That "237 S Tryon Street Garage" Tesla destination charger seems to be a good central location choice for workers in the downtown Charlotte area.