Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - North Myrtle Beach, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like North Myrtle Beach is getting a much needed supercharger. Anyone able to find more details?

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 4.56.03 PM.png

Nice find! That's where I live so I'm all over this! It was very needed here and will be huge news for Tesla owners in this area and tourists.

Nice! We occasionally vacation at Land's End in NMB and a local Supercharger would be a really nice amenity.

Do you feel like reaching out to the permitting office for more information? They don't have a searchable online permit portal, so it's going to require a little more digging.

Reactions: SCTes1aMan
Nice! I occasionally vacation at Land's End in NMB.

Do you feel like reaching out to the permitting office for more information? They don't have a searchable online permit portal, so it's going to require a little more digging.

Yes, I definitely will and Horry County will likely have the most information, especially online. I was just looking at the site you shared and I've used it before to reach out to them about adding chargers in the area. They've been quick to respond in the past so maybe I'll get something from them tomorrow.

If I had to guess I would expect it to be at one of these two locations:

Myrtle Beach Mall - 10177 N Kings Hwy, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572

Coastal North Town Center - Starwatch Dr, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

Both have ample parking and a lot of amenities. The mall may make more sense but it's also a lot closer to our current supercharger in main Myrtle Beach.

Last edited:
If I had to guess I would expect it to be at one of these two locations:

Myrtle Beach Mall - 10177 N Kings Hwy, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572

Coastal North Town Center - Starwatch Dr, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

Both have ample parking and a lot of amenities. The mall may make more sense but it's also a lot closer to our current supercharger in main Myrtle Beach.

Both are great candidates. Coastal North Town Center has the best amenities.

I was eyeing up the Bass Pro Shops because Tesla has an established relationship with them and there's an electrical substation in the corner of their parking lot. Fewer things to do in that shopping center, though.

Last edited:
Both are great candidates. I was eyeing up the Bass Pro Shops because Tesla has an established relationship with them and there's an electrical substation in the corner of their parking lot. Fewer things to do in that shopping center, though.
I have a contact at the electric company and I'll check with them as well. The mall just makes more sense to me. Now what I'm really curious about is how many actual chargers they'll go with.

Reactions: Big Earl
Does anyone have any updates on this? Just curious if the location has been determined yet? Thanks!
When I asked around a few weeks ago I was told it hasn't been decided. I'll check again. The old mall makes the most sense and there is a substation behind it that makes it even more likely IMO. We refer to it as the "dead mall" but they're planning to make a large section of it for restaurants and with Bass Pro there it seems to be the right place.

Marco found the permit. @corywright @Big Earl

8 stalls at 4898 Hwy 17 S, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582. Barefoot Landing Mall.

View attachment 860006
I've pulled it up but right now there isn't any additional information online. I'll go by in the morning and get ideas of where they would likely put the station. Personally I'm not thrilled with what they chose because traffic is terrible around Barefoot and the amenities are not exactly what I'm used to seeing for a Tesla location. I can't think of any quick places to eat or restrooms. But I'm sure they have a plan. Barefoot is a little more than two miles from the closest interstate (22).

I've pulled it up but right now there isn't any additional information online. I'll go by in the morning and get ideas of where they would likely put the station. Personally I'm not thrilled with what they chose because traffic is terrible around Barefoot and the amenities are not exactly what I'm used to seeing for a Tesla location. I can't think of any quick places to eat or restrooms. But I'm sure they have a plan. Barefoot is a little more than two miles from the closest interstate (22).
The Parkway doesn't seem to have anything on it. It's pretty much a bypass. It's US-22, not an Interstate.
Beggars can't be choosers. This is obviously better for people wanting to be in the area and driving US-17. Apparently some people like to visit the area.

Mall has a number of public restrooms as indicated on their map:

The Parkway doesn't seem to have anything on it. It's pretty much a bypass. It's US-22, not an Interstate.
Beggars can't be choosers. This is obviously better for people wanting to be in the area and driving US-17. Apparently some people like to visit the area.

Mall has a number of public restrooms as indicated on their map:
I assume you're not familiar with the area but it's not laid out in a way that makes it very convenient. It's a busy retail location and I'm not sure how they would find an area close to any of those restrooms unless they choose a spot that will definitely struggle with iceing. Additionally, the closest fast food would be across 17.

Many people complain about Myrtle Beach's other SC location because it's at a mall and you have no amenities after business hours but at least there you have several places to grab food quickly and the chargers are not in an area that deals with iceing.

I'll be the first to admit that our area does make it difficult to find a perfect place for charging. The SC will be a great addition but as someone who lives less than five miles away, I can tell you it's not going to be the most convenient for locals or those traveling through the area. I'm curious to see if Barefoot will add additional chargers for non-Teslas. Like most areas those are very much in need.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
I assume you're not familiar with the area but it's not laid out in a way that makes it very convenient. It's a busy retail location and I'm not sure how they would find an area close to any of those restrooms unless they choose a spot that will definitely struggle with iceing. Additionally, the closest fast food would be across 17.

Many people complain about Myrtle Beach's other SC location because it's at a mall and you have no amenities after business hours but at least there you have several places to grab food quickly and the chargers are not in an area that deals with iceing.

I'll be the first to admit that our area does make it difficult to find a perfect place for charging. The SC will be a great addition but as someone who lives less than five miles away, I can tell you it's not going to be the most convenient for locals or those traveling through the area. I'm curious to see if Barefoot will add additional chargers for non-Teslas. Like most areas those are very much in need.
From my perspective at least, people travel TO Myrtle Beach and not really THROUGH it. I guess it could be used as a pit stop by travelers from Wilmington to Charleston or vice versa, but any other route you would likely get on I-95 (for instance to Savannah). Regardless it is still more of a destination SuC than a traveling SuC. I see this as sticking a SuC right in the middle of where tourists and visitors would stay.

You want a SuC off a main interstate to be easily accessible for a quick on and off charging stop and restroom/snack break so you can continue on your way. For a place like Myrtle Beach, I don't see it as a place people are going through that often where they would need that quick access like off a main interstate. Now of course we want all SuC to be easily accessible with lots of 24 hour amenities, but I don't think that is realistic for most places.

As you are a local so I'll take your word for it that this location isn't ideal, but like you said I don't think Myrtle Beach really has many ideal locations.

Well, there's a lot unknown about this. It's not even clear from the permit where the stalls will be.
The permit address is the generic address for the mall.

Worst case, you walk to the bathroom and back and the charging is done.

Well, there's a lot unknown about this. It's not even clear from the permit where the stalls will be.
The permit address is the generic address for the mall.

Worst case, you walk to the bathroom and back and the charging is done.
There's definitely a lot of possibilities there. I'm actually charging right now across the road. I'm going to head over there in a few minutes look around. They have plenty of parking but it gets crazy in there during the busier months.

Honestly I don't know where I would put the SC up this way. I'm a little shocked that we're getting a second one in the area, I thought it would be 2024 before it was possible.

From my perspective at least, people travel TO Myrtle Beach and not really THROUGH it. I guess it could be used as a pit stop by travelers from Wilmington to Charleston or vice versa, but any other route you would likely get on I-95 (for instance to Savannah). Regardless it is still more of a destination SuC than a traveling SuC. I see this as sticking a SuC right in the middle of where tourists and visitors would stay.

You want a SuC off a main interstate to be easily accessible for a quick on and off charging stop and restroom/snack break so you can continue on your way. For a place like Myrtle Beach, I don't see it as a place people are going through that often where they would need that quick access like off a main interstate. Now of course we want all SuC to be easily accessible with lots of 24 hour amenities, but I don't think that is realistic for most places.

As you are a local so I'll take your word for it that this location isn't ideal, but like you said I don't think Myrtle Beach really has many ideal locations.
You're right about this being a place you travel to rather than through. With the population exploding up here, it's going to be helpful regardless of where they put the SC.

Reactions: Jeremy3292

Yes,but look at Charleston... lots of apt dwellers who flock to the one super charger. My daughter would love to have my M3 but she has no place to charge at her apartment. I expect that there are a lot of apt and condo dwellers in MYB who will easily justify this 2nd supercharger.

Yes,but look at Charleston... lots of apt dwellers who flock to the one super charger. My daughter would love to have my M3 but she has no place to charge at her apartment. I expect that there are a lot of apt and condo dwellers in MYB who will easily justify this 2nd supercharger.
I'm one of those people. I sold my home two weeks after getting my M3. I'll be in one of my rental properties until the spring and then we're moving over to a beach condo. We have no charging options on this property and very likely won't at the new condo. We do have several level 2 options in the area and I use those for the majority of my charging but I'll definitely make use of the new SC as well. It's a very different ballgame without home charging but you can make it work.

I don't think you read my post or the thread as no one was questioning that. In fact I was actually pointing out that exact thing.