Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electify America DCFC - NorthGate Mall, Seattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K_R_F

Mar 25, 2018
Seattle
Came across this while checking out the planned NHL Hockey facilities at Northgate Mall.

Electrical Permit for 4 stations in the NE corner of Northgate Way where Key Bank is located.

https://cosaccela.seattle.gov/Porta...&capID2=00000&capID3=00909&agencyCode=SEATTLE

The permit is associated with BLACK & VEATCH which is associated with Tesla. I'm assuming this is the Northgate Supercharger.

Any ideas if this is correct?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: davidu406
Just spotted some "Northeast Electric" trucks with backhoes in the SE corner of the parking lot on 5th Ave NE, kind of near Red Robin. There is also a fenced off area with a container inside it. No trenching yet and no Tesla equipment on site. I suppose this could be related to the (likely) Electrify America project mentioned in the OP of this thread, but it is in a much different part of the parking lot and the trucks are Northeast Electric, not Black and Veatch (could be a subsidiary or something though so who knows).

Anyways, we can hope this is the beginnings of a new supercharger, but definitely not enough evidence yet. Probably less than 50/50 but definitely a non-zero chance. Also, this is an area of the parking lot I had previously identified as a good spot for a supercharger. It is near the Red Robin and food court and other than some weekends in December, this part of the parking lot is never full.

How is this possible? Are you everywhere?;)
It's 2 miles from my place. I am home every now and then :)

Small update: when I left the mall around 9pm some of the backhoes were no longer there. I did a cursory search around the parking lot but couldn't figure out where they went. There was still a container with a fence around it and at least one Northeast Electric truck though.

Northgate Mall is going to be torn down to the bare ground and completely redeveloped, from the ground up, to some type of mixed-use complex over the coming years. The link below shows you the design that is currently making it's way through permitting at the city.

401 NE NORTHGATE WAY

All the remaining anchor stores (with the exception of Nordstrom) have already announced their imminent plans to leave before construction starts. There is pretty much a zero percent chance the supercharger gets built here any time before major parts of the new development are done, if ever. When the Northgate Supercharger proposed marker appeared on Tesla's website a long time ago I'm sure the intention was to have it be in the existing mall's presence. Since then plans have obviously changed.

The only chance a Supercharger appears here soon is in the existing parking structure to the south or west that are staying. But with the mall basically ceasing to function for a period of time while construction happens I cant imagine this would be a good time for them to work in superchargers.

The only chance a Supercharger appears here soon is in the existing parking structure to the south or west that are staying. But with the mall basically ceasing to function for a period of time while construction happens I cant imagine this would be a good time for them to work in superchargers.

In that case, Tesla should take their supercharger spend and put that into deploying 80A Tesla Destination chargers at Thorton Place across the street. Every movie theater should have a Tesla destination charger. Would take some of the pressure off to do big expensive urban supercharger projects by just blanketing all the major parking garages and subsidizing electricity to the landlords for a few years.

Reactions: wenkan and Araman0
Northgate Mall is going to be torn down to the bare ground and completely redeveloped, from the ground up, to some type of mixed-use complex over the coming years. The link below shows you the design that is currently making it's way through permitting at the city.

401 NE NORTHGATE WAY

All the remaining anchor stores (with the exception of Nordstrom) have already announced their imminent plans to leave before construction starts. There is pretty much a zero percent chance the supercharger gets built here any time before major parts of the new development are done, if ever. When the Northgate Supercharger proposed marker appeared on Tesla's website a long time ago I'm sure the intention was to have it be in the existing mall's presence. Since then plans have obviously changed.

Okay that makes sense. Because honestly that is some fairly prime real estate and that mall looks basically like it did when I was a kid in the 80s, except with fewer customers of course. I'm not much of a shopper so I hadn't been in there in a couple years but I noticed a couple somewhat major stores were already moved out when I was in there yesterday. I think maybe one that had moved out was Abercrombie and Fitch or American Eagle or something similar.

Okay that makes sense. Because honestly that is some fairly prime real estate and that mall looks basically like it did when I was a kid in the 80s, except with fewer customers of course. I'm not much of a shopper so I hadn't been in there in a couple years but I noticed a couple somewhat major stores were already moved out when I was in there yesterday. I think maybe one that had moved out was Abercrombie and Fitch or American Eagle or something similar.
Question, I am new here, but Tesla's page does show a near future supercharger/urban-sc at Northgate--should I sum the 2019 date up to being optimism by Elon, or is this legit?
northgate.jpg

That's right. Almost the entire mall is going to be torn down and rebuilt as a mixed-use campus of buildings over the coming years. My guess is that as new parking structures are built as part of the project, Tesla might slip in some superchargers. But that is a ways out still.

Reactions: davidu406
Question, I am new here, but Tesla's page does show a near future supercharger/urban-sc at Northgate--should I sum the 2019 date up to being optimism by Elon, or is this legit?
The dates never really mean anything. They always have a current map showing places they want to put some in and listed for the current year. But then they get about half of them done each year, and then roll the whole map over and change all the dates to the next year. They've still had sites in the map that were 2017, then 2018, and then 2019, etc.