Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger not charging to set limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the M3 LR set to charge to 85%. While charging at a Supercharger today, I got an alert that the car was charged to 80%, and the 5-minute grace period was starting.

Could this shortfall be because all eight Superchargers were in use?

If it matters, the nav system had no destination set, so the car and Supercharger didn't know how far I would be driving.

Yes. There will be an alert message on the screen when you plug in informing you that you’re at a “high usage supercharger station” and your charge limit has been set to 80%.

You can override that by changing the limit back to whatever you want it to be after you plug in.

The charge rate drops off after 80% anyway (to protect your battery), so unless you really need your car to hit 100% so you can reach your next SC destination, then the charge rate vs time you will be stuck at the SC isn't beneficial to you or others waiting behind you (if the SC is busy)

Reactions: toolman335
The charge rate drops off after 80% anyway (to protect your battery), so unless you really need your car to hit 100% so you can reach your next SC destination, then the charge rate vs time you will be stuck at the SC isn't beneficial to you or others waiting behind you (if the SC is busy)
It wasn't a matter of 80% vs 100%, but rather 80% vs 85%.

120320128_10158845637733151_1049231455339876112_n.jpg

I have the M3 LR set to charge to 85%. While charging at a Supercharger today, I got an alert that the car was charged to 80%, and the 5-minute grace period was starting.

If it matters, the nav system had no destination set, so the car and Supercharger didn't know how far I would be driving.

Yes... It tells you. Charge is limited to 80% due to high usage... bla bla bla. If you needed to travel someplace far where you need more charge, it says you can go change it....