Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Phoenix, AZ - Agua Fria Freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: jstack6
At least they're working on it! That spool of green cable and the opened units represent the only step forward since I passed through just before Thanksgiving.

This location is getting a closer to done. The fencing surrounding the parking spaces has been removed, although there is still some construction debris scattered around. It appears that all of the SCs are completely installed, along with the Tesla charging infrastructure. The only piece still missing is for the utility to install their transformer, and then for the inspections to be done before it can be turned on. No ETA on the utility transformer, however.

I'd be a bit surprised about Paradise Valley Mall since Macerich is slating it for closure and conversion to multi-family by 2022-2025 depending on tenant shrinkage. First the food / beverage tenants vacate due to business failure from reduced pedestrian traffic counts, second the retail tenant shrinkage is occurring fast than anticipated due to retailers maintaining profitability with online presence and little overhead and little inventory loss due to failure to sell (especially if you stock dozens of sizes and colors of a single item like clothing), third if the cost per square foot for apartment rents or condo sales is higher than the profit from retail leases, then you'll convert to housing with limited first floor retail. Biltmore Fashion Park might last a bit longer due to high end retail, but there are rumblings of luxury retailers moving 100% online - Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Ralph Lauren, etc... again, because of overhead costs, ability to shift to popular items and not let items sit on shelves and die, ability to release new items weekly rather than just twice a year, etc., etc. Biltmore Fashion Park should be announcing mid-rise residential towers on the north side, commercial office towers on the south side (but office space is becoming obsolete as most companies don't need to shell out $4K to $18K per employee per year for office space... not all, but most)... then the 'inner loop' of shops and anchor tenants could be removed and rebuilt as residential mid-rise with ground floor services, retail, restaurants. Right now, the current F&B tenants cannot make it and are being given drastic lease reductions (up to 80% off) just to keep from vacating and leaving the shopping center empty. I think a few other major retailers are now only operating on a percentage of gross sales rather than a price per square foot triple net lease. I advise different size companies on location intelligence and queueing theory - so see my other post on why this north Phoenix location is not too great in my opinion...

With that said, they're still possible at those locations, and the developers may provide the land for free, just to have some more traffic to their locations. I own The Clarendon Hotel in midtown Phoenix and offered my land for free to Tesla, for up to 12 supercharging stations, and my location is really pretty perfect - but I believe the downtown Phoenix location will be somewhere that has reduced power chargers along with a requirement that you pay for hourly parking.

Thanks/Ben

Two more on the way very soon to my understanding. Nothing positive but....

1. Biltmore Fashion Park
2. Paradise Valley Mall

I'll check the areas myself Monday/Tuesday time permitting. For those of you who are local, just have a heads up when you are in those areas, keep your eyes peeled for all the obvious beginnings of a supercharging site. Thanks everyone!

• Informative
Reactions: Lu Ann
Thank you so much for your map and route information. One reason I'd typically recommend against a freeway interchange as a location for anything is that it becomes a bit inconvenient for someone to stop here on their way in almost any direction, charge, and continue in that direction. If I'm going to/from Flagstaff (which we do almost weekly, you'll see my S P90DL with the plate "PHX FLG" on it a lot on this route, always say hi!) - I have to get off, make my way over, then weave my way back to get north or south. If going east or west, it's about the same amount of confusion. If going from west to south it seems fairly easy. I really still prefer supercharger stations that are on single highway/freeway exits rather than near the interchange between two highways/freeways. I think this will get used a lot, and help drive some sales for those who drive between Peoria and Scottsdale, not that residents of Peoria have net worths that exceed Scottsdale as a whole (keep in mind that a lot of Scottsdales population density is south of Camelback, where household income dips quite a bit).

Still looking forward to that downtown Phoenix location - let's hope that is not just a marker for an expansion of the Goodyear station lol... I kept watching that Flagstaff 'new location' pin, but it was just an expansion of the current station, one of the most dangerous in the system... try driving up that curved steep driveway when it's iced over... I've always had a prius or volt for the past umpteen years... now that I'm driving a $152K car, god dang I'm so nervous driving to that charging station in Flagstaff. I've seen several cars slide right into the curbs there... crunch.

Take care everyone... looking forward to what the future holds for Tesla... would love to replace mine if I see major improvements in interior comfort, reclining back seats, massaging seats, and a windshield like the model x - I'm not a fan of looking up at a giant bar. Oh, and just more places to conceal and store stuff, and some really killer air conditioning... I just can't get the S P90DL to cool off in the summer, even with max a/c and range mode off, especially in the back seats. I've suggested auto closing vents based upon seat sensors - or seatbelt sensors - that would be nice and automatic. ;-p

Ben

That south side of 101 site is superior for access on all counts. Below I have mapped the Approach/Departure both for from/to the north (Cordes Jct or Wickenburg) and from/to the west (Buckeye). Points east and south are trivial.

As follows:

View attachment 256937

Reactions: tmoz and PRXBILL
Thank you so much for your map and route information. One reason I'd typically recommend against a freeway interchange as a location for anything is that it becomes a bit inconvenient for someone to stop here on their
Oh, and just more places to conceal and store stuff, and some really killer air conditioning... I just can't get the S P90DL to cool off in the summer, even with max a/c and range mode off, especially in the back seats. I've suggested auto closing vents based upon seat sensors - or seatbelt sensors - that would be nice and automatic. ;-p

Ben
Interesting on the cooling. My S 85D cools just fine in Gilbert during the summer. Glass roof and all.

I can barely make Payson and back from Gilbert. My emergency stop is the Tesla Service center at 101 and University, but that only cuts 10 miles off that trip.

Sure would like the Payson charger along with Globe and perhaps Pinetop or Greer.

Interesting on the cooling. My S 85D cools just fine in Gilbert during the summer. Glass roof and all.

I can barely make Payson and back from Gilbert. My emergency stop is the Tesla Service center at 101 and University, but that only cuts 10 miles off that trip.

Sure would like the Payson charger along with Globe and perhaps Pinetop or Greer.

+1 plus anywhere East Valley. I also don't understand that he has problems with his cooling...

Last edited:
With that said, they're still possible at those locations, and the developers may provide the land for free, just to have some more traffic to their locations. I own The Clarendon Hotel in midtown Phoenix and offered my land for free to Tesla, for up to 12 supercharging stations, and my location is really pretty perfect - but I believe the downtown Phoenix location will be somewhere that has reduced power chargers along with a requirement that you pay for hourly parking.

I'm a little biased as I stay at the Clarendon whenever I have a chance, it's a fantastic hotel and location when I'm there for work. I think the location would work well and hope they take you up on it. Safeway is only about a five minute walk from there so I'd expect you'd get a lot of people charging while they go shopping.

Reactions: tmoz
Was up at this shopping center yesterday for dinner and a movie (highly recommend The Darkest Hour). Looks like within the last week the transformer has finally been installed**. Chargers are not operational yet, but at least that is progress! And on a bright note, there were no ICE vehicles parked in any of the spaces.

**just to clarify, the empty cement pad that was on the north end of the row of SCs now contains a very large, locked metal “box” structure so am assuming the transformer is in there - all construction stuff has been removed.

Last edited:
Me.

Yes, I emailed Blueshift w/ supporting documentation from BFP received just moments ago. We’ll see the blue dot soon as he reviews....

See post 29 this thread for approximate location. Locals keep an eye out out for signs of construction.

Any updates?

I checked it out today. Looks like it is ready to go. As reported above by AZGirl it's all cleaned up and no construction going on with the transformer installed.

I was on my motorcycle otherwise I would have have tried to plug in. There is no signage saying anything other than the Tesla only, or 30 minute general parking for the individual spaces. Parking lot was crowded but incredibly not one spot was ICE'd.

I wonder how long until it is turned on.
20180109_130810[1].jpg
20180109_130445[1].jpg
20180109_130419[1].jpg
20180109_130810[1].jpg
20180109_130445[1].jpg
20180109_130419[1].jpg

I'd be a bit surprised about Paradise Valley Mall since Macerich is slating it for closure and conversion to multi-family by 2022-2025 depending on tenant shrinkage. First the food / beverage tenants vacate due to business failure from reduced pedestrian traffic counts, second the retail tenant shrinkage is occurring fast than anticipated due to retailers maintaining profitability with online presence and little overhead and little inventory loss due to failure to sell (especially if you stock dozens of sizes and colors of a single item like clothing), third if the cost per square foot for apartment rents or condo sales is higher than the profit from retail leases, then you'll convert to housing with limited first floor retail. Biltmore Fashion Park might last a bit longer due to high end retail, but there are rumblings of luxury retailers moving 100% online - Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Ralph Lauren, etc... again, because of overhead costs, ability to shift to popular items and not let items sit on shelves and die, ability to release new items weekly rather than just twice a year, etc., etc. Biltmore Fashion Park should be announcing mid-rise residential towers on the north side, commercial office towers on the south side (but office space is becoming obsolete as most companies don't need to shell out $4K to $18K per employee per year for office space... not all, but most)... then the 'inner loop' of shops and anchor tenants could be removed and rebuilt as residential mid-rise with ground floor services, retail, restaurants. Right now, the current F&B tenants cannot make it and are being given drastic lease reductions (up to 80% off) just to keep from vacating and leaving the shopping center empty. I think a few other major retailers are now only operating on a percentage of gross sales rather than a price per square foot triple net lease. I advise different size companies on location intelligence and queueing theory - so see my other post on why this north Phoenix location is not too great in my opinion...

Thanks/Ben

Ah, that explains the pair of level 2 chargers out back that I was able to use years ago when I stayed at your place. Thanks for that, Ben.