Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oak Brook, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still incorrect on Tesla's map.
Tesla's map doesn't show the exact locations for future superchargers, the grey pins are just placed on the city to tell you there will be a site somewhere in the city or area. This won't be changed until the supercharger is activated and starts charging cars, when the pin will change to red and be placed in the exact location on their map.

This is a little less relevant to Tesla's but I want to get it off my chest. I work in Oak Brook right now as an intern, and as someone who doesn't own a car at the moment, this city is a true middle finger to pedestrians and cyclists. There is 0 infrastructure for anything but cars. If it weren't for the bus, I'd be SOL at my apartment a measly 4 miles away. The only roads connecting are 4 lanes, far too fast, and lack any sort of sidewalk or bike lane, so I have no connection. 0/10, wouldn't want to live here ever. Okay, got that off my chest, thanks for reading my little rant.

This is a little less relevant to Tesla's but I want to get it off my chest. I work in Oak Brook right now as an intern, and as someone who doesn't own a car at the moment, this city is a true middle finger to pedestrians and cyclists. There is 0 infrastructure for anything but cars. If it weren't for the bus, I'd be SOL at my apartment a measly 4 miles away. The only roads connecting are 4 lanes, far too fast, and lack any sort of sidewalk or bike lane, so I have no connection. 0/10, wouldn't want to live here ever. Okay, got that off my chest, thanks for reading my little rant.
Oh ya oak Brook is everything wrong with modern suburbia traffic design. The entire town is boomerland, literally what they envision a city to be like. Mostly concrete, parking lots, and a car to go 2 blocks away. Horrible city that will die with the boomer. Good riddance!

Reactions: Crazycolbster
Work continues apace at the Oak Brook SC. I dropped by this morning and talked to the guys installing the panel from ComEd and the transformers. They had no target date of availability. "We tell Tesla the work is done, they turn it on when they're ready."

Attachments

• OakBrookSCcable.JPG
    OakBrookSCcable.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 147
  • OakBrookSCtransformer.JPG
    OakBrookSCtransformer.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 98
  • OakBrookSCpanel.JPG
    OakBrookSCpanel.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 109
Work continues apace at the Oak Brook SC. I dropped by this morning and talked to the guys installing the panel from ComEd and the transformers. They had no target date of availability. "We tell Tesla the work is done, they turn it on when they're ready."

Narrowing down the scope of the question might get you better information. For example, ask "when will ComEd's work be finished?"

Nice to see something near the I-88 corridor. It's also not too far from 294 so I suspect it will get some travel use while Panera is open. It's not somewhere that you can easily cross 83 since there are no sidewalks or crosswalks. It would be nice if Oak Brook put some sidewalks in through that area.

Reactions: Anser
^ Agree. I wouldn't want to even attempt (by walking) across Rte. 83 there (or anywhere near there), even with full sidewalks, and proper pedestrian stoplights with walk & don't walk signs. It is roadway mayhem. Other than the bikeway trails 5 or 6 blocks away, O.B. is not a very walking-friendy town.

Reactions: Anser and Hurling
it’s now on the Tesla web map.
I might try this weekend.

That was really fast, because I drove by there on Sunday and there was still a bunch of construction equipment on site.

I tested voice command "Navigate to Oak Brook Supercharger" this morning, and it gave me a choice of the library, the bath and tennis club, and a couple other destination chargers in Oak Brook. Undeterred, I drove up to the SC site and the lights were on. I plugged in and it worked.

@Chuq @corywright @MarcoRP

Attachments

• OakBrookSCcharging.JPG
    OakBrookSCcharging.JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 84
  • OakBrookSCscreen.JPG
    OakBrookSCscreen.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 91
I checked the map last night (Tuesday) around 10pm and there was a wait again.

It’s also noteworthy that Tesla implemented peak/off-peak pricing at this location (one of 6 around Chicagoland that now have peak/off-peak pricing). $0.52/kWh 12p-8pm and $0.26/kWh outside of that window.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Yes that location is always busy. From the app, today was half full at 9AM and full At 10AM. You can see occupancy graph in the car now.
Another Oak Brook location is planned for Q2’23. (3050 Butterfield Rd Oak Brook)

The marker for that address doesn't show an exact site, but if it end up on the northwest corner of Butterfield Road and Meyers, then it will probably be near the Yard House or the Weber restaurants. Access in and out is fairly easy from any direction. That will be a popular SC.

Reactions: renambot