Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oakhill, Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, not sure that this one is actually a supercharger or just a destination charger.
Permit is very short on details at the moment, hopefully it will progress at a reasonable rate and we can see.
The address is a shopping center at the intersection of 71 and 290. It has to be a supercharger. There are no hotels there which might be installing a destination charger, and anyway permits for 240V circuits for destination chargers don’t usually specify it’s for Tesla.

The address is a shopping center at the intersection of 71 and 290. It has to be a supercharger. There are no hotels there which might be installing a destination charger, and anyway permits for 240V circuits for destination chargers don’t usually specify it’s for Tesla.
I know where it is and it would be nice if it were, but all the other austin area SCs are already on the Tesla map, including the one in Sunset Valley which is really close to this location. The description isn't usually as vague as it is on this one, the language appears to be more singular rather than multiple.
Looking at the other coming soon locations, they are pretty vague anyway - at least there's a thread to track this location, whatever it turns out to be.
Will be 100% happy to be totally wrong - or is that totally happy to be 100% wrong ;)

The TDLR filing on this one is a little different than I've seen before. Generally, these charging stations are privately funded. This one says "This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project"

Not sure if that's an error, but if not, where would these funds come from?

Two possibilities that i can think of. First is that it's just a simple mis-entry. The form/application for these filings may just have a Yes/No-type checkbox for private vs. public funds/lands and whoever entered it might have checked the wrong box. Second idea is that it could be a partnership between Tesla and someone else using public funding for universal EV chargers where Tesla is going to install the superchargers and do the electrical infrastructure work and the other group will do the universal EVCS. We've seen this type of partnership at a number of locations over the past few years though it's more common when Tesla is partnering with a municipality than with a private party, e.g. Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

Reactions: AustinM3LR
Sounds like it could really be a supercharger
The information in the permit (design review) makes it pretty much conclusive. It says it's for a "Tesla electric vehicle charging station" and the design firm is listed as GPD Group who is one of the main engineering consultant firms that Tesla uses for supercharger design work. And in TDLR filing, the point of contact is Sarah Honeycutt who is a supercharger team member for Tesla/GPD and the listed RAS is Jeff Gutknecht who Tesla has had do the accessibility evaluations for all their Texas superchargers.

I am super excited for this one. I live really close to this location. I am about 2 to 3 miles up 71 from this location. I wonder if the Austin - West coming soon marker that is on the map is for this location. Anyway it makes a lot of sense for those that are driving west to Fredericksburg or Marble Falls. I am biased but I think it is a great location.

Great long term location. Going to be a mess in the short term.

They have been planning this since we moved here in 2005. I'll believe it when I see it. They just did the kick off party stuff and there are some new signs on the side of the road so maybe that means something?

Reactions: brkaus
Great long term location. Going to be a mess in the short term.

And it happens again...

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and byeLT4
So, I don't know about the Supercharger, but I can confirm that the Oak Hill Parkway project is back on and actually under construction. This is from a friend who is involved with right of way legal process for the project. The judge denied the group who was putting up yet another objection to the road.

Personally I wish they would get on the stick for the Bee Cave supercharger as it is closer to me. Plus, I am going to be avoiding the Y for the next year or so while they do construction. If you look at the whole project and the flyovers on that link, this is going to be WAY harder and more painful that people think - especially if you are trying to get to Dripping Springs.

The bottom part caught my eye

1634001009052.png

Reactions: mociaf9
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Looks like Austin wants more paperwork because of Barton Springs zone.
It looks to me that they want information about the removal of some parking and it isn't clear if they will have adequate parking or not based on the site (which shouldn't be a problem because that parking lot is HUGE. They require more process in the area because of the Barton Springs zone. Which to me is funny because that shopping center is probably the worst for not recharging the springs. They do have some weird pavers etc... over by the corner where pluckers is because I don't think they let them pave the entire lot. So they'll probably be under more scrutiny if the construction causes any more runoff. I live in the recharge zone and it's a PITA for permits. They make contractors jump through a lot more hoops and I feel like the inspectors are more likely to measure more to make sure you aren't off on any of your measurements when trying to close permits.