Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oakhurst, CA (LIVE Feb 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cannot imagine Tesla WANTS this story out there, they would rather fix them ASAP and not put any notions into people's heads. I'm kinda sorry I posted about it, yet I was so aghast that I didn't really know what to do, and there is where I come where I have Tesla questions.
Just offering a journalist's perspective here. I think questions regarding station security are important to broach, especially with the network expanding so quickly. It's legitimate to, at the least, be curious about Tesla's ability to monitor its stations for shenanigans.

That said, I tried to balance that with a lighter, quirkier tone. In a human interest sense, it's just a fun story. It doesn't need to be sensationalized.

So I made sure to include in the fact that, despite visiting hundreds of stations, you have never seen anything like this before. I'll throw a link into the forum once the story is posted here in a few hours. Would love feedback.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
FYI, four stalls out of order here tonight, not lit. They do have cables still. ;)

9D6317D8-8DC3-4997-A6A9-2F8E146A9B61.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Been charging here for the past few days while visiting Yosemite. All of the stalls have cables on them, and the security camera trailer is still there.

Only issue I’ve been running into is that you can’t pull more than 60 kW from any of the stalls. I’ve tried all 8 stalls just to see (since it’s usually empty there), and sure enough it’s all the same. People have also reported this on different charging app review sections as well, since this station is supposed to be 250 kW.

I was still able to charge my car just fine so I didn’t really care in the end, but just a FYI to anyone who’s expecting a 250 kW experience.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and mociaf9
Been charging here for the past few days while visiting Yosemite. All of the stalls have cables on them, and the security camera trailer is still there.

Only issue I’ve been running into is that you can’t pull more than 60 kW from any of the stalls. I’ve tried all 8 stalls just to see (since it’s usually empty there), and sure enough it’s all the same. People have also reported this on different charging app review sections as well, since this station is supposed to be 250 kW.

I was still able to charge my car just fine so I didn’t really care in the end, but just a FYI to anyone who’s expecting a 250 kW experience.
state of charge?

Reactions: jsight
It’s a 750 kVA at Oakhurst which is the right size for 8 V3s.

It isn’t common for Tesla to throttle power. Patterson has a 500 kVA transformer and 8 V3 stalls there consistently pull 700 kW when full. The utility is the one that chooses the transformer so any under sizing causing transformer durability issues would be on the utility.

Reactions: Acps110
you will never get 250kw at 50% state of charge, you need to be between 10% and 20%
He’s not asking for 250kw at that soc. He’s asking for more than 60kw. So there is some issue somewhere if that’s all he’s getting. A 21 MYP should be pulling 120-150kw at that soc.

It’s a 750 kVA at Oakhurst which is the right size for 8 V3s.

It isn’t common for Tesla to throttle power. Patterson has a 500 kVA transformer and 8 V3 stalls there consistently pull 700 kW when full. The utility is the one that chooses the transformer so any under sizing causing transformer durability issues would be on the utility.
So in your example the max charging rate when full is 90kw. Far below 250kw max.

Yes, the utility sizes based on the available capacity in the area and Tesla throttles to not exceed that capacity. The utility doesn’t control the programming on Teslas side. Tesla knows all this through the application and design process. If you look at most SC designs, they are around 125kva per stall. Watts will always be less due to power factor. A 500kva transformer will put out around 400-450kw. For 4 stalls this means more than 2 cars at low soc will cause throttling. Patterson pulling 700kw on a 500kva transformer is 50% over design.

He’s not asking for 250kw at that soc. He’s asking for more than 60kw. So there is some issue somewhere if that’s all he’s getting. A 21 MYP should be pulling 120-150kw at that soc.
I’m guessing cold battery or other car-side limitation. Like I said, I’ve charged at this site probably 20 times in the past month. It works as intended.

I charged here not long before you posted this (within 24 hours) and got a pretty normal charge:

~250 kW at 21%
~140 kW at 50%
~110 kW at 60% when I left.

Screenshot 2022-04-09 205010.png

Reactions: ElectricCyclist