Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oakhurst, CA (LIVE Feb 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Limited

Supercharging Connoisseur
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2016
Los Angeles
Whoa! Didn't see this posted or another thread. What a pleasant surprise! Anyone available to post the location coordinates or stop by for pictures?

@MarcoRP @corywright

20220203_153324.jpg

At this point, I'm still kinda worried that it is an erroneous entry that got made in the process of Tesla updating their map. Something like they have a future location planned for Oakhurst and it should have a grey pin now in the new map, but was mis-entered as being operational. So, I second the request for someone to stop by for confirmation, but I'll also include the caution that they shouldn't show up with so little charge in their battery that they can't get to Fish Camp or another charger if it turns out this one isn't working.

At this point, I'm still kinda worried that it is an erroneous entry that got made in the process of Tesla updating their map. Something like they have a future location planned for Oakhurst and it should have a grey pin now in the new map, but was mis-entered as being operational. So, I second the request for someone to stop by for confirmation, but I'll also include the caution that they shouldn't show up with so little charge in their battery that they can't get to Fish Camp or another charger if it turns out this one isn't working.
Seems like a lot of very specific info to be a mistake.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 4.14.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 4.14.56 PM.png
    339.9 KB · Views: 257
Reactions: MarcoRP
Seems like a lot of very specific info to be a mistake.
Tesla has that info from the beginning though. In addition to the electrical testing that they do, I really don't think that the Tesla techs who commission a site are there typing out which stores they can see from the chargers that have an accessible bathroom inside. I think they are just clicking and confirming a single setting to change what's displayed on the map from the "coming soon" version to the "active" version. But all the info for both had been populated in their system from the beginning. That's why I see it as an easy error to have made during the mapping process.

Reactions: PLUS EV
To me, the fact the nav is showing stall occupancy lends some weight to the idea that this is a real, on-line site.

But yeah I'd like to see first-hand confirmation of this, and echo @mociaf9's comments about having enough charge to divert to a different charger if necessary (well that's a good practice in any case).

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Oakhurst, CA

Host Type: Hotel
Host: Comfort Inn
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: CA-41

CA-41

To: Fish Camp, CA - 13.1 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: End (Wawona Tunnel Yosemite, CA) - 14.7 miles

Tesla's website says it's open.
It was Q1 2022 when I looked a couple of minutes ago. :p

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
More support for this theory given the temporary closure status on the nav this morning.

Some other fun facts, the trip from here to the Fish Camp / Tenaya Lodge charger, while only 12 or so miles, consumed 700wh/mi on my Model S on this chilly morning. 😆

You might actually be able to make it to the North Fresno charger, 38 miles away, using less energy.

Sugar Pine Pizza is kinda meh. The Oakhurst Grill and Whiskey Lounge is half decent and close enough to walk to if you want a sit down meal. I didn’t ask the Comfort Inn to see if they have a lobby restroom but I imagine they do.

All in all, will be great to have in town, particularly if you’re staying in a hotel here, but not the most amazing location. I would have preferred somewhere closer to the 41/49 intersection, either Vons or Raley’s parking lot, which would have provided many more walkable food and drink options.

If I were just passing through heading North and could make it to Fish Camp, I’d probably stop there, much more scenic and you can hang out in the Tenaya lobby or on the grounds while you charge. It will also get you closer to the park with more in the tank (see 700 wh/mi comment above).

Heading South out of the park I’d still prefer the Tenaya - it’s an earlier stop but you’ll actually gain a couple kWh down the hill to Oakhurst so no need to wait.

Will be nice for people traveling SR 49, getting between here and Jackson should be easy.

Last edited:
Could be vandalism

Every stall had the connectors cut
That's definitely vandalism. Since the cables are missing, I'm guessing it's someone looking to sell the copper for scrap.

Not sure if that's worse or just vandalism for the sake of it because they have something against EVs.

Those cables are expensive - At least a couple hundred dollars each, not to mention the time/money to send a tech out there to replace them. This will cost Tesla at least a couple thousand dollars to fix and if sold for scrap, they might get a a hundred dollars out of it, probably less given that these are V3 cables and relatively lightweight.

This site is ONLY for Supercharger use, the occupants of the hotel will likely park on the front sides of the hotel, and there is a high fence around the entire location so there is a LOT of privacy back there, you can take your time cutting cables and loading them into your ICE vehicle. Tesla didn't appear to have any camera equipment (probably would have been destroyed too) and no StarLink setup either.

Of course Supercharger sites are typically busy (Like Auburn, CA was last night, sheesh!) so I guess they couldn't count on too much privacy once this site was open. Got me thinking they could probably use a metal hose to protect the cable from damage in future installs/repairs, or as I posted elsewhere, start installing the robotic charging arms which we'll need when we send our cars to go charge up on their own in the not to distant future.