Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oakland, CA - Hegenberger Rd. (LIVE 17 Jun 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2018-12-18_7-44-31.png

Wondering if anyone has any info/photos of the progress?

A quick search on City of Oakland online permit system for any sign of Tesla Charging station came up empty.

Accela Citizen Access

There is one listing for the following:

E1801617 Non-Residential Electrical - New 4000 HOWE ST, Oakland CA 94611 Install a new electrical vehicle charging station and new circuit to existing panel in existing city parking lot. The location to be near existing panel behind A.G. Ferrari (4001A Piedmont).

But I can almost guarantee thats not it.

A quick search on City of Oakland online permit system for any sign of Tesla Charging station came up empty.

Accela Citizen Access

There is one listing for the following:

E1801617 Non-Residential Electrical - New 4000 HOWE ST, Oakland CA 94611 Install a new electrical vehicle charging station and new circuit to existing panel in existing city parking lot. The location to be near existing panel behind A.G. Ferrari (4001A Piedmont).

But I can almost guarantee thats not it.

Nope that's not a supercharger, they're only installing a single EVCS. I don't think an Oakland supercharger has gotten into planning/permitting yet.

The closest I could find within the last 2 years were these two related permits from September 2018:
  • B1803951- Installation of (18) temporary EV charging stations & (2) supercharging cabinets at 1300 Middle Harbor Rd.
  • E1803736- Install (4) circuits, (1) 750kva transformer, (1) 112.5kva transformer, (1) 400amp load center related to (18) temporary EV charging stations & (2) supercharging cabinets at 1300 Middle Harbor Rd.
This is located in the Port of Oakland, at the intermodal yard where Union Pacific loads up. My guess is that they are used to charge up Teslas prior to shipping.

(In other news, EVGo is installing 12 EVCS at the Park N Fly near the Oakland Airport: E1803613)

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
They did install 50 superchargers in one station in Shanghai, China in 12 days. Emeryville has been permitted for a year and a half with no sign of any progress. It actually said completion by summer 2018 for many months before changing to sometime in 2019. The completion dates have little connection to reality.

They did install 50 superchargers in one station in Shanghai, China in 12 days. Emeryville has been permitted for a year and a half with no sign of any progress. It actually said completion by summer 2018 for many months before changing to sometime in 2019. The completion dates have little connection to reality.
Your point about taking the dates as only very loose guidelines and even that with a pinch of salt is perfectly valid, but in point of fact, Emeryville never had an actual building permit, it had just been in plan review for that time. Supercharge.info treats that the same as an actual permit. Plus the actual location for the Emeryville supercharger moved to a different location during that time. The original site was supposed to be in a parking lot that is part of a decent sized commercial development project and as such it's timeline was out of Tesla's hands. When that original project had its plans altered somewhat, Tesla moved the location to a different shopping center in a nearby area. The site plan for that new location was only approved in September 2018.

This is one example of why Tesla's "Coming Soon" statements include the caveat that actual location and date are liable to change. We have no insight into the actual process until there are public documents filed and then found. And the supercharger team doesn't have someone whose job it is to constantly update their map. It would be a total waste of resources, though I'm sure we'd all be happy. But since the map isn't under constant curation, you'll get out-of-date info for most sites.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: bmah and ecarfan
This is one example of why Tesla's "Coming Soon" statements include the caveat that actual location and date are liable to change. We have no insight into the actual process until there are public documents filed and then found. And the supercharger team doesn't have someone whose job it is to constantly update their map. It would be a total waste of resources
Thank you for a very helpful and insightful post!

The Tesla Supercharger team is working hard to expand the charging network, which is by far the largest in the world and growing rapidly. To those who complain about the grey pins and the dates on the Tesla “Find Us” page map not being accurate, I suggest you ignore it and focus on the network as it currently exists. If you are planning a road trip, ignore the grey pins on the map and plan your trip based on the current chargers. If you are planning on buying a Tesla in the future, ignore the grey pins on the map and decide if a Tesla is feasible for you based on the current chargers.

Reactions: wyldtek and miimura
UPDATE: Location found, building and electrical permits issued on 2019-10-10.

Oakland building permit record # B1904077, description: "Anchorage for EV charging stations for commercial bldg. 16 EV stations, 2500 amp switch gear, supercharger cabinet, and 2 light poles."

What
: 16 superchargers (likely V3) coming to Oakland off Hegenberger Rd. at the 880 (near the airport/Colliseum/Arena).
Address: 640 Hegenberger Rd, Oakland, CA 94621
GPS (guess): 37.746403, -122.195614

For those interested in such things, the other associated permits for this project are E1902520 (Electrical) and DRX191780 (Planning Design Review Exemption).

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

UPDATE: Location found, building and electrical permits issued on 2019-10-10.

Oakland building permit record # B1904077, description: "Anchorage for EV charging stations for commercial bldg. 16 EV stations, 2500 amp switch gear, supercharger cabinet, and 2 light poles."

Nice! Initially I was wondering how you know it's a Supercharger, but then I clicked on the building permit link and saw the applicant as someone from Tesla, so that's pretty convincing.

Thread title updated.

Bruce.

Nice! Initially I was wondering how you know it's a Supercharger, but then I clicked on the building permit link and saw the applicant as someone from Tesla, so that's pretty convincing.

Thread title updated.

Bruce.
It also lists "supercharger cabinet" as part of the equipment to be installed in the project description. But, yeah, the Tesla applicant was pretty persuasive, too. :)

By the way, I also found another, separate Oakland supercharger location (also with a Tesla applicant) at Jack London Square. That one's building permits were issued on October 1st. Just started the new thread: Supercharger - Oakland - Jack London Sq. (Location found, permits issued Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

Reactions: bmah
Easy access off and back on the freeway, two ways into and out of the parking lot.

7C80BE50-63DD-483C-8F1A-E568D7C7894A.jpeg

Right across from McDonalds, near Taco Bell and Jack in the Box, across the street from the coliseum entrance

IMG_0422.jpeg

And just like San Jose, Emeryville, Berkeley, El Cerrito, and Novato the stations are finished, minus the transformer from PG&E

These are the dedicated Superchargers for Raiders fans who are starting the drive from Oakland to Las Vega$.
Sadly I don't get the reference. Oh, did the Raider's move to Vegas? That thing finally came to an end? Many other things you can do with a sports-ball park. I have been to a few RV shows here for example. Bring those back.

Last edited: