TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Ocala, FL

Discussion in 'Florida' started by airj1012, Aug 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. BryanS

BryanS Member

More photos from today. Looks like we are just waiting on the utility company at this point.

image1a.jpg image2a.jpg image2a2.jpg image3a.jpg image4a.jpg image5a.jpg

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Thanks for the update with pictures.

Looks like the transformer will go on the right side of this picture, behind the green posts, where the Tesla crate is, in this picture. Do you think that some concrete needs to be poured for a pad before the transformer can be installed?

3. KeithM

KeithM Member

I've been gone from the area for a couple of weeks and really appreciate the great job BrianS has done reporting on progress. I stopped by today and may have been the first Tesla to charge (not);-)

IMG_1293s.jpg

The reason I couldn't charge is of course because the site, while essentially complete, has no power. As was noted previously, the transformer will go where the wooden box is located after the input power conduit has been routed to the area that will be covered by the slab. The wooden box is to protect the very little bit of exposed copper wire from thieves until the transformer is installed. I believe the power conduit will be routed along the green fence line, then under the street to the Service box where the red arrow points. Note the fence around the equipment. It is not just wooden planks, but composite material which I understand was a requirement of the property owner. It really looks very nice.

IMG_1295s.jpg

There is hope that power may soon be available. The slab that covers the electric service has been marked with red paint and the path of the conduit is now marked with paint on the pavement and flags on the grass to indicate the path of current wiring. Marking the existing service always takes place before digging for a new underground service. None of the markings were present on my last visit. I'm sure BrianS and myself will be checking often for signs of power installation, but my best guess would be that the SC won't be in service until the end of October. Hope I'm wrong.

IMG_1299s.jpg

4. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

I hope you are wrong too. I have a trip planned there for Oct 12 and while don't need to charge there would be very convenient.

5. BryanS

BryanS Member

Checking in with a quick report.....there's nothing to report. No movement on the utility company yet but hopefully soon.

6. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Thanks for the update.

7. linkster

linkster Active Member

Still no progress as of 4:00p today.

8. timdorr

timdorr Model S P90D w/AP2.0

This is depressing, as I'm headed down next Friday for Disney World. Going through Ocala would shave off an hour from our travel time. It's still quite doable through Port Orange and St. Augustine, just longer.

But hey, this will give me reason to head back to Disney some other time once Ocala is online :)

9. hoofhrtd1254

hoofhrtd1254 Member

Does Disney have a place to plug in at? I'm there every other weekend but unfortunately don't have a Tesla.... yet!

10. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Yes, 4 chargepoint Level 2 at Epcot. 35 cents a kwh. See PlugShare.com.

11. ajs1974

ajs1974 Member

I'm hoping Ocala is online before the UF-LSU game on 10/11. Driving up from Miami.

12. BryanS

BryanS Member

Still no movement as of this morning. Ocala Utilities isn't in any hurry to get the project completed.

On a brighter note: It's been fun watching other vehicles (Ford Fusion Hybrid & Nissan Leaf) trying to figure out how to plug into the Superchargers. :biggrin:

13. timdorr

Oh, that is fantastic! When I originally booked the trip, they had no charging options there (whereas Disneyland has 30!). Hopefully they expand the options, but this will be more than enough. I should be able to snag a spot at some point during the 5 days I'll be there.

Here's the location: Disney Epcot Center | Orlando, FL | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

14. Kutu

Kutu Member

It looks, to me, that you could make it without the Ocala Supercharger-- as long as you can charge in Orlando overnight.

15. timdorr

Yeah, that's the main issue: Making it there *and* back. But since there are some on-site options, I don't have to freak out so much :)

16. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Have a trip planned for mid November and this super charger is key considering the area I'm headed to is very sparse... hoping it will be operational by then :cool:

17. linkster

linkster Active Member

Might you consider some safe and effective extension cord charging strategies/solutions at your "sparse" destination(s)?

btw, LOVE the avatar!

18. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

If Ocala isn't online by early November, I'll probably start making phone calls for "some safe and effective extension cord charging". :) I'm hoping our hotel will accommodate us.

- - - Updated - - -

And there are two residential J1772's in dire straits... btw, thanks on the avatar :)

19. ajs1974

ajs1974 Member

Spoke to Ocala Utilities this morning to inquire as to when this supercharger will go live. I was told that Ocala Utilities won't be activating it. Sumter Electric will. Waiting to hear back from Sumter with a date certain. Would be great to have it online for the Gator game this weekend.

20. ajs1974

ajs1974 Member

Spoke to Sumter Electric today. They wouldn't reveal anything and said it's the account holder's (i.e., Tesla's) decision.