Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Occupied/Empty Inaccurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Timmy T.

VIN 164xx / LR RWD / EAP / FSD ($2K SALE = SCORE)
May 28, 2018
Georgia
I always seem to see Superchargers not showing accurate info. on my Model 3 map/gps. My local one in Brunswick, GA always shows 2 of 6 in use for example. That's never been the case as there's never anyone there each time. I called Tesla to report but nothing changed. This same example has been seen in Orlando, St. Augustine and Daytona as well....

What it’s showing is some in use when they aren’t. Not the opposite.

That could mean some are broken (but you’d think Tesla would know that) or some database is incorrect. I’ve not run into this yet but it’s more of a problem on the busy west coast of course.

What we don’t know (as usual) is exactly how the status is updated and what the lag time is. We’ve seen a lot of reports of the lag time being substantial.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
The stall status used to be much more accurate at the Superchargers I visit. I did several road trips between April and June this year. In April and May, I didn't notice anything wrong but for the last couple road trips in June I have seen the numbers of reported stalls are way off.

Also, I've noticed some are consistently correct whereas others are consistently incorrect. On the Superchargers I've visited on I-70, they seemed pretty accurate. The two I used most recently on I-80 were way off, showing 6 stalls in use when really there were 6 or 8 stalls empty.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
The stall status used to be much more accurate at the Superchargers I visit. I did several road trips between April and June this year. In April and May, I didn't notice anything wrong but for the last couple road trips in June I have seen the numbers of reported stalls are way off.

Also, I've noticed some are consistently correct whereas others are consistently incorrect. On the Superchargers I've visited on I-70, they seemed pretty accurate. The two I used most recently on I-80 were way off, showing 6 stalls in use when really there were 6 or 8 stalls empty.
Have you ever seen incorrect the other way, where the actual number of open stalls is lower than the reported number?

Have you ever seen incorrect the other way, where the actual number of open stalls is lower than the reported number?
I'm not sure I understand the question. o_O

On the most recent road trip last week, it showed the graphic where 6 out 8 stalls are filled. When I tapped on the Supercharger icon, the text indicated "2 of 8 stalls available" which matched the icon. When I actually stopped at the first Supercharger, it was totally empty. The next Supercharger only had two cars charging but in the car, it showed 5 or 6 cars charging.

I'm not sure I understand the question. o_O

On the most recent road trip last week, it showed the graphic where 6 out 8 stalls are filled. When I tapped on the Supercharger icon, the text indicated "2 of 8 stalls available" which matched the icon. When I actually stopped at the first Supercharger, it was totally empty. The next Supercharger only had two cars charging but in the car, it showed 5 or 6 cars charging.

Has the info ever shown fewer cars than were actually there? Say it says there are 6 empty stalls but you show up and there's only 3 empty stalls?

Has the info ever shown fewer cars than were actually there? Say it says there are 6 empty stalls but you show up and there's only 3 empty stalls?
Driving across Nebraska and Kansas, I've only seen it the other way. Fortunately the Superchargers are virtually always empty when I need them. The only time they were actually busy was during the eclipse last August and I forgot to check the Supercharger stall status then.

I wish Brunswick had a Tesla SuperCharger, are you referring to the Tesla SuperCharger that is 36 miles south of Brunswick on I-95 Exit #3 located at the Kingsland Welcome Center 1190 East Boone Avenue Kingsland, GA 31548?

Yeah, duh. I'm new down here and always mix up those 2 town names up...haha Thanks. You're correct. I live 6 miles from the Kingsland SC and have used them never so far of course. Love the .0142 kWh Super Off Peak rate Georgia Power offers.

Reactions: SKRGO
While the system isn't perfect, I'm sure, I have seen this problem and have talked to the Supercharger people. I suppose, like many answers from Tesla, it varies with the source. But several have told me that they err on the conservative side. So, if some newbie, for example, thinks the charger isn't working properly (because their cold soaked battery won't charge as fast as it usually does down south), and calls in , the Supercharger folks show it as inop until a technician can check it out.

Also, from the time one of us disconnects until the status updates can be up to 5 minutes maybe more (I've seen cars pull out as I approach; I suppose it could even take longer to cycle).

Reactions: Timmy T.
Just drove down central Calif (Kettlemen City, Buttonwillow, Bakersfield Superchargers) then across to Death Valley then Vegas (Inyokern, Beatty, Las Vegas South Superchargers) and back thru Death Valley up thru Yosemite to home. (Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, Concord, Gustine, Hollister Superchargers) - checked out all (didn't necessarily use).
Each was either accurate or indicated more in use then actual. Never showed more available than reality.

Kettlemen City ROCKS !!!
Bakersfield - RELOCATE
Beatty - see pic (lucky I got there before him)
Beatty Supercharger.jpg

I just had a 1500 mile road trip to Alabama and back, and out of 7 supercharger stops, not once was the number of chargers in use accurate. It almost always shows more in use than were really in use. Maybe it only updates once every hour or so?

It seems to be a common thing in my small 15-20x sample size over my first 3 weeks of ownership. Overstating how many are in use I mean. At least that's the way I always see it. Never once have I seen it the other way around. When I called them I mentioned maybe there are 2 broken chargers and that's their way of parking them? I was shot down right away. He said they don't do that. Well here's to hoping they figure out a better control and real-time system for us to count on....

I just had a 1500 mile road trip to Alabama and back, and out of 7 supercharger stops, not once was the number of chargers in use accurate. It almost always shows more in use than were really in use. Maybe it only updates once every hour or so?

Maybe it is like an hour? There's a latency issue for sure. It's like a ghost town at my local SC all the time. It always shows 2 of 6 in use also....always. Sucks to hear you saw the same thing widespread on your trip....ugh

I wish they would use more colors than red. Which is still backwards to me (using only 'nothing' and red). Like perhaps yellow for inoperative, green for open, red for in use. I was at Grasonville (MD) yesterday, and don't recall what was on the map for what was available (because it was 100% empty). Which means it must have shown it that way (since I would have remember any 'red' spots... :D )

There still seems to be this idea of the overhead of how often they can update status (or people can check status, which is read-only, fer gawds sake!). How much load would updating every minute even take, if we have 10,000 stalls? Doesn't seem like that much.

Reactions: Timmy T.