Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ojai, CA (LIVE 22 Jul 2019, 12 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gene

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
My friend Russell Sidney he gets the credit for the find.

Good news - Tesla just got approval for 12 120 kw Super Chargers on Ojai Ave next to the Ojai Valley Inn. They will be pulling permits soon.

The Planning Commission Report shows the detailed specifications for installing the chargers. Any one interested in that can down load the report from:

Item 2-Tesla.pdf

The Tesla Specs are at the end of the report.

I’ll be honest, as someone who grew up in that town this location makes no sense. The only explanation is that the inn is providing the site and maybe power free. The correct location would have been closer to the arcade downtown. There is literally almost nothing to do at this location. It’s the site of an old ford dealership... I suspect the inn will build a walkway up to their restaurant or something.

I've been to Ojai a number of times, and although it would be ideal to have it right in town, the parking there is not that plentiful. So a mile walk into the downtown area is very feasible for a stretch your legs while charging option.

I think your right that they expect you to walk to the Inn for a meal.

I'm actually impressed that Tesla is putting a supercharger in here, seems a little out of the way and not 100% necessary, but then again there are so many Model 3s out there now.

Reactions: gene
I live in Ojai walk that area all the time. You would have to go before you charge or after. the distance from that location to the Inn is too far in the amount of time you have to charge. By the time you get to the restaurant you will be getting the notification your charge is almost complete.
While the car is charging you would have time to walk the other direction to the Vons shopping center.
The OVI already has 6 destination chargers as well.

edit: I just inputed it to google maps walking. the distance is just under 1 mile from that location to the actual entrance to the OVI. google maps says its 16min walk one way.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
I live in Ojai walk that area all the time. You would have to go before you charge or after. the distance from that location to the Inn is too far in the amount of time you have to charge. By the time you get to the restaurant you will be getting the notification your charge is almost complete.
While the car is charging you would have time to walk the other direction to the Vons shopping center.
The OVI already has 6 destination chargers as well.

edit: I just inputed it to google maps walking. the distance is just under 1 mile from that location to the actual entrance to the OVI. google maps says its 16min walk one way.

I would assume they would build a new walkway from there vs forcing people to walk around via country club drive.

There is no way they want foot-traffic at the spa from the supercharger. They have a lot of Tesla owners that stay there though so their valets will likely drive the car over and charge for you if you desire. It is a pretty high service resort, especially the valets. They have had destination chargers there for some time. For the valet averse, a Tesla is a cheap car for that inn. Those guys routinely valet Bentley, Ferrari, mclaren etc.

• Funny
Reactions: Owner
I went by the Ojai Planning dept this morning to check on the status of the permits for the supercharging location here in Ojai. The city has until March 19th to review the initial plan submission and respond with comments. Depending on the findings another review might be necessary which could result in about a two month time frame till permit issuance. So worse case permit is late May early June.

Thanks for finding that permit. Here’s a screen capture of the very limited amount of information available online.

CF6A3A8C-241B-43BC-BBCD-05E0EB525B3C.jpeg

I note an expiration date that is in the past (2/25/2019). Not sure what that means, if anything.

If Ojai is like Fresno and other municipalities, the expiration of the permit means that the builder must pony up more $$$$ to renew it for another period of time. I suspect (but do not know) that building codes may change between the time of approval and the time of expiration, so if there is a change in a particular code requirement, the plans would have to be altered and resubmitted. If not, then it is just a rubber stamp to extend the permitting period.

But this information comes courtesy of the accounting department.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Tam
I note an expiration date that is in the past (2/25/2019). Not sure what that means, if anything.
If Ojai is like Fresno and other municipalities, the expiration of the permit means that the builder must pony up more $$$$ to renew it for another period of time. I suspect (but do not know) that building codes may change between the time of approval and the time of expiration, so if there is a change in a particular code requirement, the plans would have to be altered and resubmitted. If not, then it is just a rubber stamp to extend the permitting period.

But this information comes courtesy of the accounting department.
In this particular case, I believe it was just a bit of mis-entered information. I think it was the application submital date, not the expiration date. The processing tab shows that the application was only marked as accepted on 2019-03-05 (about a week after that "expiration" date). But regardless, it's moot now as the information has been updated. The permit was issued today and it has a new, and much more rational, expiration date of 2019-10-01.

Ojai permit.JPG

Reactions: ohmman and Tam