Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Olathe, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does ElectrifyAmerica do 8 stalls at a time? I've only seen 2 to 4 at a time. Plus there are no 'coming soon' pins in the area on ElectrifyAmerica's site.
They definitely do. Depending on where you go, you can sometimes find up to 16 stalls. Though their installations aren’t exactly similar, they can sometimes be confused.

Given Hy-Vee's working relationship with Tesla in the Midwest (DSM, MSP, KC), I think this would be a solid guess on it being a Tesla branded SC. I'm hoping urban ones may come to the Shawnee location.
This probably is a Supercharger. However, some other partners, like Target and Sheetz, have also been installing their own Electrify America chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Olathe, KS

Along Primary Interstates: I-35
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-50, US-56, US-169

To: Bethany, MO - 111.3 miles
Diversion: 3.1 miles
To: West Des Moines, IA - 207.9 miles

When Olathe, KS opens, the shortest distance between Superchargers on I-35 will be 180.1 miles.
Current Supercharge.info mapping makes Wichita, KS to Bethany, MO via Olathe, KS 290.7mi, 4:24:42.
Currently, a diversion off I-35 is required to Topeka, KS (312.3mi, 4:30:06).
However, since Wichita, KS to Olathe, KS will be 180.1 miles, Emporia, KS (Tesla pin 2019) is still needed to split the gap from Wichita.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and MarkeR2002
Interesting that the quoted value on the building permit is $125k for an 8-stall Supercharger station. That's about half the price sort of sticks in my mind. Either I misremembered the value of previous sites or Tesla is getting some economies of scale on their power electronics as they have ramped up the deployment of Supercharger locations or possibly there are reduced labor costs on the installation.

Interesting that the quoted value on the building permit is $125k for an 8-stall Supercharger station. That's about half the price sort of sticks in my mind. Either I misremembered the value of previous sites or Tesla is getting some economies of scale on their power electronics as they have ramped up the deployment of Supercharger locations or possibly there are reduced labor costs on the installation.

I wonder if the actual boxes are a typical fixed cost (and coming down with scale) but I bet the labor and permits are cheaper in KS than CA

$125,000 is in the typical range for project values listed on building permits. Labor is probably a big chunk of it and there's not much Tesla can do about that.

Interesting design decision, because this is one-way parking, the Tesla stalls are reverse diagonal parking.

Attachments

• IMG_20190417_171550.jpg
    IMG_20190417_171550.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 168
  • MVIMG_20190417_171547.jpg
    MVIMG_20190417_171547.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20190417_171538.jpg
    IMG_20190417_171538.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 150
Interesting design decision, because this is one-way parking, the Tesla stalls are reverse diagonal parking.

The Hy-vee at 151st St in Olathe is pretty much all directional parking as well. They assume everyone wants to pull in nose 1st. That loacation provides four ChargePoint/KCPL Level 2 charging spots for free which is super easy for a leaf to pull in, but annoying for a tesla. Hopefully they can adjust the parking pattern for a tesla dedicated station tailored to people on a road-trip.

Attachments

• hyvee.JPG
    hyvee.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 111
That must be why the pedestals are angled differently than the current parking spot markings. Would make sense though to flip the direction that they are angled if the old style expected nose-in parking, where Tesla wants rear-in parking.

Any idea if this will be a V3 Supercharger?

Highly unlikely. According to a Tesla SC rep that I just spoke with when I was in Florida, any location that is currently under construction has been in the planning process for about 6-10 months. If they were to switch to make it a v3 station they'd have to start all over again (design plans, permits, the whole 9) so all stations that we'll see for the next several months will likely be v2 unless they were planned to be v3 from the start.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and RobK
Highly unlikely. According to a Tesla SC rep that I just spoke with when I was in Florida, any location that is currently under construction has been in the planning process for about 6-10 months. If they were to switch to make it a v3 station they'd have to start all over again (design plans, permits, the whole 9) so all stations that we'll see for the next several months will likely be v2 unless they were planned to be v3 from the start.
That makes sense given the lead time requirements. Thanks for replying!

I suppose v3 really wouldn’t make a difference for my Model 3 SR+ though since I think we are currently capped at around 100kW during supercharging. Hoping they will increase limit that eventually!