Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Olathe, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
8 stall Supercharger at the Hy-Vee in Olathe, Kansas: Google map location; @ the intersection of Ridgeview Rd. & 119th St.; 1.3mi> distance to I-35

Planning Commission Review agenda (2018-02-12)- PAR18-0001 (PDF Warning) last item; Approved: 2018-02-22

Building:Electrical Permit- BE18-0056; Applied: 2018-03-09; Issued: 2018-05-03; Status: Expired (as of 2018-10-30)
TESLA SUPERCHARGE STATION-INSTALL 4 SUPERCHARGER CABINETS, 8 CHARGING STATIONS, 1 QED SWITCHGEAR AND ONE UTILITY TRANSFORMER

So, I know the permit is currently expired but I expect to see it reapplied for. Possibly in the spring. My guess is that it was caught in Tesla's 3rd quarter slow-down of Supercharger builds. Tesla has partnered with Hy-Vee at multiple other sites and they shouldn't have been able to get all the way to an issued permit to then run into some unexpected, and insurmountable, problem with the utilities at that site. Plus, Tesla's Find Us map still shows a "Coming Soon" Olathe, KS supercharger planned for target opening in 2018. Clearly that date is meaningless, but I still expect it to be at this site eventually.

Attachments

• Olathe, KS supercharger permit.png
    Olathe, KS supercharger permit.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Olathe, KS map_overview.png
    Olathe, KS map_overview.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Olathe, KS map_zoom&nearby.png
    Olathe, KS map_zoom&nearby.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 163
8 stall Supercharger at the Hy-Vee in Olathe, Kansas: Google map location; @ the intersection of Ridgeview Rd. & 119th St.; 1.3mi> distance to I-35

Planning Commission Review agenda (2018-02-12)- PAR18-0001 (PDF Warning) last item; Approved: 2018-02-22

Building:Electrical Permit- BE18-0056; Applied: 2018-03-09; Issued: 2018-05-03; Status: Expired (as of 2018-10-30)

So, I know the permit is currently expired but I expect to see it reapplied for. Possibly in the spring. My guess is that it was caught in Tesla's 3rd quarter slow-down of Supercharger builds. Tesla has partnered with Hy-Vee at multiple other sites and they shouldn't have been able to get all the way to an issued permit to then run into some unexpected, and insurmountable, problem with the utilities at that site. Plus, Tesla's Find Us map still shows a "Coming Soon" Olathe, KS supercharger planned for target opening in 2018. Clearly that date is meaningless, but I still expect it to be at this site eventually.
Why isn’t this SC on the map? If the locate is definite and will probably be reapplied for, why can’t it be on the map? @BlueShift

Reactions: MarkeR2002
Why isn’t this SC on the map? If the locate is definite and will probably be reapplied for, why can’t it be on the map? @BlueShift

And if they do get this location, they can also do Emporia, KS to split with Wichita, KS. A few years ago, a location was identified for Emporia, KS, but nothing came of it. But Emporia, KS has a Tesla 2019 pin.

Reactions: QUBO
Saw there was some construction going on at the HyVee parking lot so drove by to take a look. Definitely looks like they have started construction of the Superchargers here. I've also been watching the permits for this HyVee, nothing new has been issued, but I guess that's not stopping them. @BlueShift, might need to add this to the map soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20190409_125204_1.jpg
    IMG_20190409_125204_1.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20190409_125224.jpg
    IMG_20190409_125224.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 138
  • MVIMG_20190409_125215_1.jpg
    MVIMG_20190409_125215_1.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 142
Saw there was some construction going on at the HyVee parking lot so drove by to take a look. Definitely looks like they have started construction of the Superchargers here. I've also been watching the permits for this HyVee, nothing new has been issued, but I guess that's not stopping them. @BlueShift, might need to add this to the map soon.
Ok, which Hyvee location? Mission or Olathe? Do we need two threads?

Are we sure this is a Tesla supercharger and not (e.g.) an ElectrifyAmerica location?
I would say that it's not quite 100% definitive but highly, highly likely. It's in the same location that Tesla had their expired permit for (see opening post of this thread). And the location's address isn't showing any other permits for similar activity on Olathe's permitting portal. Tesla definitely has a "Coming Soon" pin in Olathe, while the EA map doesn't (admittedly this map isn't official, but, while I haven't actively been checking it much, I haven't found it to be wrong yet). Tesla partners with HyVee and, so far as I know, EA hasn't. And the one bit of equipment we see in the pics is similar to the switchgear that Tesla routinely uses.

Like I said, none of it is quite definitive but I'll be totally shocked if it's not a supercharger.