Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Olathe, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday, 6/7 update. 3:30pm, connected cable to the car but still no charging...
Interesting instructional sign regarding the reverse angle of the parking stalls:
IMG_4480.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: RobK
About a week ago, I drove by this location. It was dark, and had just finished raining. The slope of the Hy-Vee parking lot goes downward to the north, and I'll be honest here: slope had never registered in my mind as a potential issue about to reach out and touch me. The chargers are also on the downhill, but not quite as far along the way as the bottom edge of the lot, where you would be driving in order to get to the chargers. Someone decided to just push their shopping cart aside, and it traveled all the way down to the bottom where I was driving westward at about 10-15 MPH. I am guessing the cart was going faster than I was, and it smashed into me causing a loud BANG and some quite impressive damage. I did not see it coming at all - it was dark, and the cart being below the door level - well - it really caught me off guard. I slammed on the brakes and looked around - it took me a minute to even comprehend whether or not something had even just happened. I had definitely hit something, or something hit me, or did I drive OVER something? But looking around, I could see no other cars. Not until I got out of the vehicle to try to see where I got hit, or what I ran over? I even thought "Well, maybe a motor just fell out the bottom of my car . . . or did a suspension component just break?" I was totally confused.

Shopping Cart.jpg

I talked to the manager on duty, and the crux of the situation is that while you are on Hy-Vee property, and hey - the cart is owned by them; well, they are simply NOT responsible for damage to your car caused by their shopping carts. The real trouble is - I could have been traveling this same "traffic pattern" to get to the bank in the corner.

After getting home and doing some researching it looks like this could actually cost quite a bit to repair, so I decide to file a police report. They were not THAT interested in taking the report, but given the potential amount of damage, they finally agreed, but I had to drive to the police station. I have since noticed that the rim is also damaged. I suppose I need to have the balance checked (now that I think about it) . . . I have to be honest - that cart hit me with some quite impressive force! Probably new bearing in those wheels!

After talking to the day manager, their video shows a customer just putting groceries in the car, and then pushing the cart away. It traveled halfway down the parking lot and bounced off a semi tractor, took a glancing turn and traveled the rest of the way down to nail me as I was driving by. They will not show me the video or help me identify the customer. That guy is lucking that I did not notice him. He would have learned the hard way that my Tesla is not easy to shake - that is for sure! In fact, I am not sure that anyone can get away from me in the short term, now that I think about it . . .

I went by the police station the next day and then called the grocery store to see if they would NOW show me the video - nope. Oh well - I guess the case is closed!

Fast forward an hour or so: I get a call from Hy-Vee. They watched the video of the customer from entry to exit, thinking they would need to show it to the police, if and when they showed up. Lo and behold - this customer stole from the store! So now they call the police to report THAT. *sigh* I guess I know why the guy didn't bother to corral the cart, huh?

This makes me question the validity of putting superchargers in grocery store parking lots. I had a "minor run-in" with a guy in a pickup truck at another Hy-Vee who ICEd a spot, then when he come out and loaded his groceries into his vehicle, he purposefully left the shopping cart right in the middle of the adjoining EV spot. It amazes me that people are so close-minded about EVs, but you see it in every facet of life I suppose. Once I give people a ride in my car, though - they are ready to go buy on - that is for sure.

So - anyone know who a good place in the Kansas City area to get this fixed without costing too much? I think Tesla likes to replace the fender at a cost of a few thousand. I made a service appointment and they recommended a high-end repair shop here in town, which I would rather not like to fund . . . and I am worried that the crease makes it a bigger deal than I would like it to be. I might just leave it as a badge of honor: it is one dimple that probably improves aerodynamics, and I think it is about the right size. 500 more perfectly placed dimples and my range ought to improve!

From personal experience, Eveland Brothers was the only repair shop that was willing to touch my Model 3. I had a nearly similar dent in the same location, and rim damage. It cost approx $3000. They did do a fantastic job, paint job is perfect.

From personal experience, Eveland Brothers was the only repair shop that was willing to touch my Model 3. I had a nearly similar dent in the same location, and rim damage. It cost approx $3000. They did do a fantastic job, paint job is perfect.
Eveland Brothers is also the best place in town to get any damage fixed, regardless of make. Take it there and they'll treat you right.

Also, definitely contact your insurance company and inform them that Hy-Vee has video of the incident. If they're up to it, they will sue and get the video through discovery.

Reactions: Prairie
For some reason Olathe, KS SC is NOT showing up on my Tesla NAV or my iPhone App. I cannot test "Pre warming" option of our battery unless this happens. It is also not showing up on Tesla SC Internet web.

Shawnee Mission, KS is showing up on my Tesla NAV and my iPhone App bit it is NOT showing up on the Tesla SC map on the Internet web.

For some reason Olathe, KS SC is NOT showing up on my Tesla NAV or my iPhone App. I cannot test "Pre warming" option of our battery unless this happens. It is also not showing up on Tesla SC Internet web.

Shawnee Mission, KS is showing up on my Tesla NAV and my iPhone App bit it is NOT showing up on the Tesla SC map on the Internet web.

That's nothing unusual. The power goes on, then those of us on the Interwebs tell each other that it's working days before Tesla can update their website. Give it a little time...it will show up.

Had a chance to go to Olathe SC this afternoon and "charge up" my Tesla S.. My first reaction is that the Hy-vee is a busy location but it is a good location for people who want to stretch their leg, grab a bite etc.

I was getting fairly decent charging rate (>300 miles/Hr) in the beginning.

Attachments

• Olathe SC.jpg
    Olathe SC.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 105
Had a chance to go to Olathe SC this afternoon and "charge up" my Tesla S.. My first reaction is that the Hy-vee is a busy location but it is a good location for people who want to stretch their leg, grab a bite etc.

I was getting fairly decent charging rate (>300 miles/Hr) in the beginning.

I’d say a busy area in this case is a good thing. Not going to be concerned about icing because of the extra hoops to 3 point turn to park and charge.

Compared to the Topeka location, I think the Olathe SC is a much safer location to charge in all hours of the night due to the well lit area.

Reactions: JHawk
About a week ago, I drove by this location. It was dark, and had just finished raining. The slope of the Hy-Vee parking lot goes downward to the north, and I'll be honest here: slope had never registered in my mind as a potential issue about to reach out and touch me. The chargers are also on the downhill, but not quite as far along the way as the bottom edge of the lot, where you would be driving in order to get to the chargers. Someone decided to just push their shopping cart aside, and it traveled all the way down to the bottom where I was driving westward at about 10-15 MPH. I am guessing the cart was going faster than I was, and it smashed into me causing a loud BANG and some quite impressive damage. <snip>

@M-n-M, sorry to hear about your damage and I wonder if Hy-Vee would give you a $50 reward for reporting a Shoplifter (wishful thinking?). In this case, it wouldn't have helped if Tesla had installed a railing on the uphill side of the charger location since it happened out IN the parking lot but I'll keep that in mind in the future so a runaway cart won't be an issue.

In case you are thinking of denting the rest of your car ... you might be right about improving the aerodynamics. The Mythbusters folks "tested how well dimpled golf balls performed against smooth balls. <snip> For a full-scale test, Adam and Jamie put a layer of clay on a car and did two more sets of runs on their track – one with a smooth clay surface, the other with dimples pressed into it. The respective fuel efficiencies were calculated as 26 and 29 miles per gallon. Although the original myth was invalid, the theory behind it was sound, leading to a final judgment of 'Busted, Concept Plausible'." :)

About a week ago, I drove by this location. It was dark, and had just finished raining. The slope of the Hy-Vee parking lot goes downward to the north, and I'll be honest here: slope had never registered in my mind as a potential issue about to reach out and touch me. The chargers are also on the downhill, but not quite as far along the way as the bottom edge of the lot, where you would be driving in order to get to the chargers. Someone decided to just push their shopping cart aside, and it traveled all the way down to the bottom where I was driving westward at about 10-15 MPH. I am guessing the cart was going faster than I was, and it smashed into me causing a loud BANG and some quite impressive damage. I did not see it coming at all - it was dark, and the cart being below the door level - well - it really caught me off guard. I slammed on the brakes and looked around - it took me a minute to even comprehend whether or not something had even just happened. I had definitely hit something, or something hit me, or did I drive OVER something? But looking around, I could see no other cars. Not until I got out of the vehicle to try to see where I got hit, or what I ran over? I even thought "Well, maybe a motor just fell out the bottom of my car . . . or did a suspension component just break?" I was totally confused.

View attachment 417338

I talked to the manager on duty, and the crux of the situation is that while you are on Hy-Vee property, and hey - the cart is owned by them; well, they are simply NOT responsible for damage to your car caused by their shopping carts. The real trouble is - I could have been traveling this same "traffic pattern" to get to the bank in the corner.

After getting home and doing some researching it looks like this could actually cost quite a bit to repair, so I decide to file a police report. They were not THAT interested in taking the report, but given the potential amount of damage, they finally agreed, but I had to drive to the police station. I have since noticed that the rim is also damaged. I suppose I need to have the balance checked (now that I think about it) . . . I have to be honest - that cart hit me with some quite impressive force! Probably new bearing in those wheels!

After talking to the day manager, their video shows a customer just putting groceries in the car, and then pushing the cart away. It traveled halfway down the parking lot and bounced off a semi tractor, took a glancing turn and traveled the rest of the way down to nail me as I was driving by. They will not show me the video or help me identify the customer. That guy is lucking that I did not notice him. He would have learned the hard way that my Tesla is not easy to shake - that is for sure! In fact, I am not sure that anyone can get away from me in the short term, now that I think about it . . .

I went by the police station the next day and then called the grocery store to see if they would NOW show me the video - nope. Oh well - I guess the case is closed!

Fast forward an hour or so: I get a call from Hy-Vee. They watched the video of the customer from entry to exit, thinking they would need to show it to the police, if and when they showed up. Lo and behold - this customer stole from the store! So now they call the police to report THAT. *sigh* I guess I know why the guy didn't bother to corral the cart, huh?

This makes me question the validity of putting superchargers in grocery store parking lots. I had a "minor run-in" with a guy in a pickup truck at another Hy-Vee who ICEd a spot, then when he come out and loaded his groceries into his vehicle, he purposefully left the shopping cart right in the middle of the adjoining EV spot. It amazes me that people are so close-minded about EVs, but you see it in every facet of life I suppose. Once I give people a ride in my car, though - they are ready to go buy on - that is for sure.

So - anyone know who a good place in the Kansas City area to get this fixed without costing too much? I think Tesla likes to replace the fender at a cost of a few thousand. I made a service appointment and they recommended a high-end repair shop here in town, which I would rather not like to fund . . . and I am worried that the crease makes it a bigger deal than I would like it to be. I might just leave it as a badge of honor: it is one dimple that probably improves aerodynamics, and I think it is about the right size. 500 more perfectly placed dimples and my range ought to improve!

How frustrating to be hit by a shopping cart! I visited that location for the first time today and noticed the (relatively) steep slope of the parking lot with the superchargers near the bottom of the slope. I've been to many superchargers and like most parking lots they were level.
Even a good person might accidentally lose a shopping cart in a sloped parking lot. If you're hanging out in the car during the charge you might want to keep a lookout for run-a-way carts. That said, the chances of a repeat of M-n-M's experience are probably slim.