Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Old Fort, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm. Only got 130kW today with only one other car here (not sharing). Stalls are {1,2,3} x {A-D}. 55F ambient, we navigated here so the car should have been properly conditioned. Our charge at arrival was about 15-20% full. MAYBE having just come down the hill with lots of regen the batteries can't be in ideal charge receiving condition? Late 2019 Raven S. Tried two different stalls 2B and 3C. Other car was at 1B.

Hmmmm. Only got 130kW today with only one other car here (not sharing). Stalls are {1,2,3} x {A-D}. 55F ambient, we navigated here so the car should have been properly conditioned. Our charge at arrival was about 15-20% full. MAYBE having just come down the hill with lots of regen the batteries can't be in ideal charge receiving condition? Late 2019 Raven S. Tried two different stalls 2B and 3C. Other car was at 1B.
navigated there from where? If you left asheville and navigated to the SC there certainly wouldn't have been enough time to get the pack hot from a below 30f overnight soak.

I just charged his this weekend and didn't have any issues. I can't report on any speeds greater than 120 kW since my car doesn't support it but my old 90 pack was maxed out throughout the charging session.

Doesn't seem like much has changed since the SuC was installed as the pedestals seemed well kept and in good working order. The gas station/store/dairy queen was pretty popular considering it seemed like the middle of no where. There are some large pot holes turning into the gas station from the exit ramp area to make sure to dodge those!

Off topic a bit, but for those who are traveling and not in a rush there is a good Brewery/Food places in Old Fort:
Hillman Brewery: Old Fort Food Menu - Hillman Beer
⚡⚡Level 2 charger right out front of Hillman Brewery: K&R Antiques | PlugShare
Whaley Farm Brewery: Whaley Farm Brewery (@whaleyfarmbrewery) • Instagram photos and videos

1661437580858.jpeg

1661437612476.jpeg

Last edited:
Not my favorite location. While I do like splitting the distance between Hickory and Asheville, this location has limited options (just one aging gas station). I would much prefer (not like my opinion matters) a location that has some food choices nearby in case you're in need of a meal while charging. I like the additional charging option for those hiking in the area (why I visited this past Saturday) but stopping here won't be my first choice going forward.

Tesla has picked some rather odd locations for Superchargers recently. Piedmont, SC is another one. Maybe it's quite a bit cheaper to use less desirable locations, but...they're less desirable.

All that being said, I'm really happy with all the coverage NC has now.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Tesla has picked some rather odd locations for Superchargers recently. Piedmont, SC is another one. Maybe it's quite a bit cheaper to use less desirable locations, but...they're less desirable.
It's not always Tesla that has picked these sites. It's very possible that the host of this site approached Tesla, and not the other way around.

I actually suspect that sites such as this may help spur some development in the area. Perhaps a coffee or burger/sandwich chain will see the opportunity and decide to site an outlet nearby. Maybe a long shot for Old Fort, or maybe not. Who knows.

Likely easier to convince a small business owner with an aging gas station like you said to join the EV revolution to get more foot traffic, especially when they have unused space. People generally opt for nice, big gas stations these days like QT, Sheetz, and WaWa over less desirable gas stations, so this is another way to pick up traffic.

With corporate type entities there is likely a ton of rep tape to get through.

The one in Piedmont is 20 minutes from where I live and I agree isn't an ideal location but it's fine. Just a redneck interstate stop basically lol. Ironic that the Shell across the interstate added 2 CCS chargers shortly thereafter.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Likely easier to convince a small business owner with an aging gas station like you said to join the EV revolution to get more foot traffic, especially when they have unused space. People generally opt for nice, big gas stations these days like QT, Sheetz, and WaWa over less desirable gas stations, so this is another way to pick up traffic.

With corporate type entities there is likely a ton of rep tape to get through.

The one in Piedmont is 20 minutes from where I live and I agree isn't an ideal location but it's fine. Just a redneck interstate stop basically lol. Ironic that the Shell across the interstate added 2 CCS chargers shortly thereafter.
I've thought of the similar argument, but it feels like it's gone in the opposite direction. I feel like early Supercharger locations '12-'14 might have had to beg to get a location on their property. Unproven. However Some of the early locations were able to work with large partners. Take Greenville working with Hilton. Now it seems like Tesla should have more name recognition and it should be easier to work with entities. Hopefully Sheetz will continue expanding and take Tesla with them.

My only dig with Piedmont is lack of food options. For me, a good Supercharger location is close to the highway and has some fast food options. I really only eat fast food on road trips (which are seldom). Grab something from the "restaurant" and head over the charge up. Eat and charge at the same time, and then on my way.