Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Olema, CA (LIVE 16 Aug 2023, 6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I found an application for Marin County Planning approval (Coastal Permit) for installation of a 6-stall, 150 kW supercharger station + 1 Clipper Creek L2 station next to or at the Olema House hotel (formerly The Lodge at Point Reyes). The linked summary page is wrong about the number of stalls, among other things (e.g. it's not an application for a New Single Family Residence :)) But the site plans linked at the bottom of that page are totally clear. Notably, the application hasn't yet been approved--the webpage is currently showing it as incomplete. And after this planning approval is granted, Tesla will still have to apply for an actual building permit. So I don't know that I'd expect it to be operational in this calendar year.

As for the location, it is right off Highway 1 at the intersection with Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Maybe 2.5 miles south of Point Reyes Station. It should provide a bit of supercharger coverage for west Marin County, CA-1 north of SF, and for those spending some time at Point Reyes National Seashore. Interestingly, there's currently no grey pin on Tesla's map that could reasonably be for this location. But, I've seen that this sort of "ghost" development of superchargers seems to be happening a bit more often recently. Not sure why.

What: New 6-stall, 150 kW supercharger station + 1 L2 station
Address: 10,005 Coastal Highway, Olema, CA 94950
GPS: 38.040224, -122.788345

@Chuq @Mr. PlugShare

I found an application for Marin County Planning approval (Coastal Permit) for installation of a 6-stall, 150 kW supercharger station + 1 Clipper Creek L2 station next to or at the Olema House hotel (formerly The Lodge at Point Reyes).
Nice find, and excellent thread title composition. :D

I have camped with my trailer twice at the Olema RV campground, and plan to again. Very convenient Supercharger location for Tesla owners using that campground!

4E6118E3-3DD9-425E-A85E-C80AAC7C8616.jpeg

Reactions: mociaf9
This part of Highway 1 is such a great drive. I would think they would eventually add 1 or 2 more, possible Fort Bragg or Mendocino. Bodega Bay is probably too close and there's not much between there and Mendocino. I guess given the consistently mild climate (and mostly longer range Teslas on the road now), they could maybe get away with a ~145 mile gap on this stretch of highway.

Reactions: gene
This part of Highway 1 is such a great drive. I would think they would eventually add 1 or 2 more, possible Fort Bragg or Mendocino. Bodega Bay is probably too close and there's not much between there and Mendocino. I guess given the consistently mild climate (and mostly longer range Teslas on the road now), they could maybe get away with a ~145 mile gap on this stretch of highway.

There's already one planned for Mendocino per Tesla's map.

No-real-change update: Still working through the planning approval process.

The Marin County planning site continues to show the status as incomplete, but it is still being worked. Evidence for this is that the set of plans linked at the bottom of the summary page has changed from a set originally received in March to one received in July.

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
The Coastal Permit and Design Review received conditional approval at the Zoning/Planning hearing on 2020-02-13 that I mentioned in the previous comment-- Final Resolution (PDF). This should clear the way for Tesla to start applying for building permits. Likely that process will take some months before actual construction can start. So, continued progress, but don't expect this one to be operational for a good while yet.

• Informative
Reactions: gene and ohmman
Back in October 2020, took my P85D for a weekend stay at Point Reye Station. There are only a couple of level 2 chargers in town that seem to be always someone squatting there. I seem to recall there was a GreenLots DC charger somewhere behind the CowGirl Creamery but have since disappeared. I end up having to drive to Petaluma supercharger and top off with the house 101V plug. It would've been good to have some sort of DC fast charging around this nice area to visit.

I did a search to see the status of the permitting by downloading from the Marin County database. An application was submitted July 23rd for this site with the description "7 E V Chargers W/Assoc Equip & Transformers; Bollards T.D. 8/11/20"
I just checked the county database again, and it doesn't look like the building permit has been issued yet. No info on what the hold up might be.

Found this from last summer on the Marin Tableau site. No info on who is applying and the number of stations doesn’t match typical Tesla but the project value is more in line with super chargers than L2 and the odd number might just be a space issue or utility limitation. Address belongs to the Due West Tavern.

1619781742376.png

Think that is enough to say this is a supercharger? It is the largest parking lot in Olema. Pretty much the only site that could work. Updated to Q3 2021 on the map.

Also it looks like the original application was 12/2018 so that could be why the odd number. V2 with an odd number of stalls.

1619782224997.png

1619782291381.png

Reactions: GenSao and mociaf9
Found this from last summer on the Marin Tableau site. No info on who is applying and the number of stations doesn’t match typical Tesla but the project value is more in line with super chargers than L2 and the odd number might just be a space issue or utility limitation. Address belongs to the Due West Tavern.

Think that is enough to say this is a supercharger? It is the largest parking lot in Olema. Pretty much the only site that could work. Updated to Q3 2021 on the map.

Also it looks like the original application was 12/2018 so that could be why the odd number. V2 with an odd number of stalls.
Was this originally posted in a separate thread and then moved by a moderator? Because the future Olema supercharger is already totally confirmed as in development and all the information you posted is included in the comments before yours in this very thread. Though it looks like the original link in the opening post isn't working any more. The Marin County page on the project included site plans showing the superchargers, etc.

My bad, I searched and didn’t see anything (must have entered the wrong terms), and then typed the thread title and it didn’t show as already being posted. Maybe a different format?
No big deal. The search function on TMC can be a bit tricky. You have to be careful about what settings you're using. For example, if you don't have it set to search "Everywhere" then it really matters which sub-forum or thread you're in when you start the search and it won't return things in other parts of the site. Search is a bit less problematic since the recent site update a few months ago, but it's still possible to get tripped up. And, if you accidentally start a duplicate, it's not the end of the world as the mods will just merge it with the existing thread once someone points it out. The fact that you tried searching for an existing thread before starting your own already puts you ahead of pack.

Well, since we are just a few weeks away from the start of Tesla's targeted opening period for this supercharger and I don't think we've ever had anyone report that they've been by the site, I'll ask. Any update? :)

If anyone is going to be in the area in the future, please swing by and take some pics of the parking area. Even if there's no sign of construction yet, I'd be happy to see what the area looks like from the ground.

1631747323349.png

• Helpful
Reactions: 3'sterly
There are two parking lots at this location. One is on the north side of the property and is very small (picture with the two model 3s). The other one is larger and could accommodate the chargers. However, I'm surprised at this location as these were taken midday on a Wednesday.

On the weekends this parking lot is typically pretty full.

There were no signs of construction at either lot as of today.

Attachments

• PXL_20211110_220703527.jpg
    PXL_20211110_220703527.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20211110_220531695.jpg
    PXL_20211110_220531695.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 133
  • PXL_20211110_220516217.jpg
    PXL_20211110_220516217.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 122
  • PXL_20211110_220004253.jpg
    PXL_20211110_220004253.jpg