Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Olema, CA (LIVE 16 Aug 2023, 6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two parking lots at this location. One is on the north side of the property and is very small (picture with the two model 3s). The other one is larger and could accommodate the chargers. However, I'm surprised at this location as these were taken midday on a Wednesday.

On the weekends this parking lot is typically pretty full.

There were no signs of construction at either lot as of today.

I drove through on Saturday 11/13 and this^^^ assessment is spot-on. The parking lot was full from regular tourist traffic. The lot is really small. You only have the single-proprietor restaurant etc. there to spend time in, and it's $$$. I wonder if all these factors have led to a reconsideration of the location, hence no construction right now.

The location makes sense from the a standpoint of road junctions (Sir Francis Drake x Hwy 1) and distance from other SCs, but is otherwise unsuitable. Point Reyes Station would make a lot more sense, both in terms of space for parking and amenities. Crossing fingers...

• Love
Reactions: goldengate
So, doing some searching looking for any updates, the original link to the Marin county permit application is 404. I can definitively tell you where the chargers will be placed, at least if the permit is issued based on the plans submitted that expired 3/31/21.

Immediately entering the parking lot straight in from Sir Francis Drake, to the left will be 2 stalls, one ADA. The other 4 (and 1 L2) will be along the back of the parking lot along with all the electrical equipment. You really have to zoom in to see the graphic representing the SC pedestal/cabinets (little black oblong rectangle). They are parallel to the ADA stalls and perpendicular to the regular stalls in the back. Notice that only the ADA stalls appear to say EV charging only while the regular stalls do not so maybe there will be no policing of iceing.

1637881546895.png

So, doing some searching looking for any updates, the original link to the Marin county permit application is 404. I can definitively tell you where the chargers will be placed, at least if the permit is issued based on the plans submitted that expired 3/31/21.

Immediately entering the parking lot straight in from Sir Francis Drake, to the left will be 2 stalls, one ADA. The other 4 (and 1 L2) will be along the back of the parking lot along with all the electrical equipment. You really have to zoom in to see the graphic representing the SC pedestal/cabinets (little black oblong rectangle). They are parallel to the ADA stalls and perpendicular to the regular stalls in the back. Notice that only the ADA stalls appear to say EV charging only while the regular stalls do not so maybe there will be no policing of iceing.

View attachment 737399
If I’m not mistaken, the engineer’s PE license expires on 3/31/21, not the permit.

Reactions: Mrbrock and mociaf9

View attachment 737399
The "EV charging only" writing on the stall is a California requirement for ADA-accessible EV charging spaces, I guess to distinguish them from ADA parking spaces. Typical supercharger installations have one wider van-accessible ADA stall with a blue ISA (wheelchair) sign and one "ambulatory" ADA-accessible stall that can be narrower and does not require a sign, but which still has some requirements for slope and ease of access.

Superchargers generally indicate which stalls if any are reserved solely for charging with signage rather than pavement markings, so I wouldn't read anything into the fact that the other spaces don't have the same wording as the accessible ones.

Reactions: mociaf9
I don't know much about supercharger construction, but I'm thinking this could possibly be construction of one? These are photos from the south and west sides of the parking lot. I think I'm seeing some pipes/conduit that could feed into the Tesla supercharger cabinets, as well as stands that look like they could be the base of a supercharger pedestal.

I like this location for a supercharger, on route 1 near point reyes, but the parking lot is often full and I'm wondering if these spots could get ICEd frequently. I'm surprised the owners are giving up the parking spaces.

Attachments

• PXL_20220806_230320327.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220806_230320327.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • PXL_20220806_230342834.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220806_230342834.MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
  • PXL_20220806_225738999.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220806_225738999.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • PXL_20220806_230209248.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220806_230209248.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
  • PXL_20220806_230028884.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220806_230028884.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
  • PXL_20220806_225956380.jpg
    PXL_20220806_225956380.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20220806_225818861.jpg
    PXL_20220806_225818861.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164
I don't know much about supercharger construction, but I'm thinking this could possibly be construction of one? These are photos from the south and west sides of the parking lot. I think I'm seeing some pipes/conduit that could feed into the Tesla supercharger cabinets, as well as stands that look like they could be the base of a supercharger pedestal.

I like this location for a supercharger, on route 1 near point reyes, but the parking lot is often full and I'm wondering if these spots could get ICEd frequently. I'm surprised the owners are giving up the parking spaces.
Yes, the concrete bases in the last picture are for the supercharger pedestals at each parking spot. Unique to Tesla. And there are 6 of them to match the 6 stalls being installed.

Reactions: bb95570
I cannot imagine there is still any of that lying around, it's been years
They updated the original Vallejo site with V2 in 2021. They had prepped the site in 2019 during original installation with all the conduit runs so they were kind of in a corner there and had to use V2.
1660611640401.png

As far as Olema, I only ask because the plans haven’t been updated and still show 3 cabinets plus auto transformers but maybe that is online housekeeping and the county does have V3 plans in front of them.

Reactions: PStewart
I have to 2nd your assessment here-- it's the perfect abstract location at the junction of Hwy 1 and Sir Francis Drake, but it's a tiny, busy lot. Fortunately I've driven past here all the way to Fort Brag from Marin City with zero problem, but still. There will be some bitter ICEing on this cake.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, looks like odds and ends in the cabinets department -- I see ones from two different batches or vintages (compare the vent shroud shapes).
Also, there is an extra pedestal base in the second picture. If you look at the second closest one, it is different, not oval. Must have been something underground that prevented them from using the pre-cast base there.

I drove by Olema a week ago and there are 2 prominent Tesla Superchargers next to the highway. They are not active and are covered by red-and-white Tesla hoods. I didn't stop, so it's possible there are more further back. But it appears these will finally open in Q4, which is great for those of us who frequent Pt Reyes seashore and points further north.