Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Olympia, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, I have a MS 70D, and I the trip planner says no. And I don't want to get stranded somewhere. I can make it to Lynnwood or Monroe direct from Aberdeen, get a full charge there and can then make it to Ellensburg. It would be a big maybe Centralia to Ellensburg. THEN if I have two people in the car (added weight), in the winter with the colder weather, raining, in the dark, and the heater on, there's no way from Aberdeen.

Yea, I have a MS 70D, and I the trip planner says no. And I don't want to get stranded somewhere. I can make it to Lynnwood or Monroe direct from Aberdeen, get a full charge there and can then make it to Ellensburg. It would be a big maybe Centralia to Ellensburg. THEN if I have two people in the car (added weight), in the winter with the colder weather, raining, in the dark, and the heater on, there's no way from Aberdeen.
There IS a way. Slow down. Much faster than any of the options you mention.

You say trip planner says no -- so you have sat in the Aberdeen SC with a 100% charge and told it to take you to the Ellensberg SC? And it said no? Not drive below 55 mph, but just a flat no?

Have you driven that route at 60 mph?

You have a lot more experience with this sort of thing than I do, so I'll go with your expertise. If the routing apps are all that far off, we need to all contribute some data, maybe, to help them be more accurate.
I honestly think you inputted something wrong on EV trip planner. Either that or you used unrealistic entries such as temperature of 80+F and speed of 20 under the speed limit or something.

I honestly think you inputted something wrong on EV trip planner. Either that or you used unrealistic entries such as temperature of 80+F and speed of 20 under the speed limit or something.
I don't use EVTP much, so maybe I did do something wrong, but I didn't change any of the defaults, other than car model to that of my car, since I did not know what the OP was driving.
Screenshot_20180726-060506.png

It says an average speed of 61 mph overall, using 165 RM. My degaded battery has about 244 RM, which Is 79 RM left at the end, or 32%.

I have never thought the algorithm in EVTP for my car was accurate, which is part of why I don't use it. EV Trip Optimizer is better and automatically compensates for weather. It leaves me with 25%.

I don't use EVTP much, so maybe I did do something wrong, but I didn't change any of the defaults, other than car model to that of my car, since I did not know what the OP was driving.View attachment 320454
It says an average speed of 61 mph overall, using 165 RM. My degaded battery has about 244 RM, which Is 79 RM left at the end, or 32%.

I have never thought the algorithm in EVTP for my car was accurate, which is part of why I don't use it. EV Trip Optimizer is better and automatically compensates for weather. It leaves me with 25%.
25% is somewhat plausible. I really don't think the EVTP screen cap you posted could be duplicated in real life, even with your generous ambient temp and payload figures (I guess a waifish woman is travelling during the day in the summer and carrying only her purse and charging cables :) ). I wonder what is going on there.

NOTE: I do notice that Ellensburg is misspelled, but I doubt that is the cause of the problem, because the distance traveled and elevation change seem accurate.

Reactions: BerTX
I just played around with evtriplanner and I entered the exact same data as you (the defaults). With a S70D 19", it says 186 Rated Miles. With a S90D 19" it uses 209 Rated Miles. I drove a S90D 19" for 83k miles and that number seems reasonable (given the generous default settings). I guess maybe the S75D is much lighter than the 70 and 90, but I'd be surprised if it were that much lighter.

I just played around with evtriplanner and I entered the exact same data as you (the defaults). With a S70D 19", it says 186 Rated Miles. With a S90D 19" it uses 209 Rated Miles. I drove a S90D 19" for 83k miles and that number seems reasonable (given the generous default settings). I guess maybe the S75D is much lighter than the 70 and 90, but I'd be surprised if it were that much lighter.
No, it's not much lighter. Weight (+/- 300 pounds) does not really make much difference, anyway. EVTP is just wrong for that car. I used to have to put something else in to correct for it (21" wheels, phantom wind, etc). Again, that's one of the reasons I quit using it. EVTO is light years more advanced.

Twice in the last six months, once in snow and ice in December, and the second time in much warmer weather this Spring, I tried a few different planning apps for two different trips. Both times I had the impression using them that evtripplanner should give me better results, as it seems to ask for a lot more information. At the end of both trips though abetterrouteplanner.com was much much closer to reality. If memory serves, it was within 3 or 4 percentage points of our actual results, while evtripplanner was way too optimistic, probably from 15-20 percentage points. I also tried a 3rd planning website, cannot recall what it was right now, but it was also quite a ways off to.

I used EV Planner, my 70D, 19'' tires, and myself, my wife and an adult friend. I was generous on their weight, I estimated 600 lbs. Since I'll be going over for a football game, I guessed the average temp to be 45 degrees. EV Planner now suggests Aberdeen, Lynnwood, and then Ellensburg. Again, I really need Olympia. That would slab off at least two hours on my trip (extra drive time through the Seattle mess and charging time)

I hope Olympia is a true Supercharger and not an Urban Supercharger. On my way back from Pullman, I left Ellensburg with a half hour to go, but with enough to get to the new Issaquah Supercharger. Issaquah is an Urban one, and I had to charge for over an hour to get enough to have 5% projected for Aberdeen. In the Red Zone. Well, I baby'd it and made it to Aberdeen with 10% left (20 miles), but I would have been better off charging to 100% (which I prefer NOT to do) in Ellensburg to save an hour on an already all day trip.

I hope Olympia is a true Supercharger and not an Urban Supercharger. On my way back from Pullman, I left Ellensburg with a half hour to go, but with enough to get to the new Issaquah Supercharger. Issaquah is an Urban one, and I had to charge for over an hour to get enough to have 5% projected for Aberdeen. In the Red Zone. Well, I baby'd it and made it to Aberdeen with 10% left (20 miles), but I would have been better off charging to 100% (which I prefer NOT to do) in Ellensburg to save an hour on an already all day trip.
If I were you, I'm pretty sure I would charge in Centralia and Ellensburg on the Ocean Shores to Pullman trips. Assuming of course you can get a full charge while staying in Pullman.

If I were you, I'm pretty sure I would charge in Centralia and Ellensburg on the Ocean Shores to Pullman trips. Assuming of course you can get a full charge while staying in Pullman.

Yea, I've done that. Still have to do a full charge in Centralia. I simply really want Olympia. With a charger in Olympia, I could also charge up in Aberdeen, go to Olympia and really run around town, do shopping, etc, and have enough to comfortably get back home.

I think the best locations for Superchargers for the Olympia area would be:
  • Cabela's Parking Lot (Lacey)
  • Hawk's Prairie (Lacey)
  • Costco (Tumwater)
I don't think anywhere in DT Olympia would be a good idea... Though, yes, maybe one off of 101 in West Olympia makes more sense:
  • South Puget Sound Community College
  • Trader Joes or Haggen Food (Lost track how many times it's changed names) (West Olympia)
  • Olympia Auto Mall (Yes, I understand the irony)

Last edited: