Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger on the ION cutoff (Hwy 95) between Boise and Winnemucca?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone heard if Tesla has any plans to put in a supercharger on the ION cutoff (Hwy 95) between Boise and Winnemucca? When my wife and I are alone in the car I can just make it but with extra passengers and weight I need to recharge at McDermitt on the way back to Gilroy. Sean Dufurrena at the Say When was very helpful and my J adaptor worked on his outlet. It would be nice, however, to have a Tesla supercharger in McDermitt.

Anyone heard if Tesla has any plans to put in a supercharger on the ION cutoff (Hwy 95) between Boise and Winnemucca?

Ah, this one is close to my heart, since I live in Boise. And I just did a big vacation trip and had to cross this route a few weeks ago. There are a lot of existing threads about it. Short answer: No.

When my wife and I are alone in the car I can just make it but with extra passengers and weight I need to recharge at McDermitt on the way back to Gilroy.
What model do you have? Long range S or 3? It's not really doable at all with my 2014 S85. I used my CHAdeMO adapter in McDermitt recently.
Sean Dufurrena at the Say When was very helpful and my J adaptor worked on his outlet.
Wait...WHAT??!! The last I had heard in this other thread, they removed those J1772 stations:
I guess we were missing the latest news update on that.

It would be nice, however, to have a Tesla supercharger in McDermitt.
Yeah, much more than just nice. It still blows my mind and makes me angry that with as much expansion and redundancy as they are adding in hundreds of other locations, they still have not connected this 250+ mile gap on THE one main travel route between the Northern California area and Boise. Everyone uses highway 95 here.

I looked at another alternate Supercharger-only route from Reno to Boise (now that there are some recent Supercharger additions), where you could go up through Susanville and Alturas California up to Burns, OR, and then East on U.S. 20, but that does add about 120 miles extra distance than being able to go Winnemucca and up 95. But that would be totally reliable Superchargers for people who don't have the CHAdeMO adapter, so...it's something.

Say When is not open 24hrs so they have the chargers offline. I also used the Greenlots Chademo recently. Had a few issues starting the charge on the way back to Boise but got the charge. My 75D requires a charge on that route. I advise checking the status before taking that route, especially Boise to Winnemucca due to elevation gain

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
Anyone heard if Tesla has any plans to put in a supercharger on the ION cutoff (Hwy 95) between Boise and Winnemucca? When my wife and I are alone in the car I can just make it but with extra passengers and weight I need to recharge at McDermitt on the way back to Gilroy. Sean Dufurrena at the Say When was very helpful and my J adaptor worked on his outlet. It would be nice, however, to have a Tesla supercharger in McDermitt.
Sunny Ridge RV park has Nema 14-50 outlets. I read it’s about $20. WiFi and cafe nearby w clean restrooms. I’m planning a trip to Boise for Christmas w my MX long range. Plan to charge 100% in winnemucca. I’m a bit worried at the Say that there will not be availability. Also losing mileage due to cold weather? I want to bring a couple passengers so I will definitely need to find a spot to charge unless I add a 100 miles and drive to Elko to Twin Falls and then to Boise?

Say When has the chargers disconnected. Chademo would allow a top up in Orvada. Sunny Ridge is available with 14-50. McDermitt Greenlots Chademo is likely still broken, see my recent comments on Plugshare. Have some blankets in the car to leave heater off, draft when you can, drive a bit slower and you should be fine.

After discussion, I sent the Sunny Ridge owner info for several options on DC charging, perhaps Tesla, Electrify America, or State of OR, will sponsor at Sunny Ridge

so I will definitely need to find a spot to charge unless I add a 100 miles and drive to Elko to Twin Falls and then to Boise?
That's a longer detour than I would take. That adds about an extra 160 miles going through Twin Falls like that. The shorter detour if you're coming from the California side is to branch off at about Reno and go North through California and Oregon. (Susanville, Alturas, Hines, OR and Ontario, OR) It's only about 120 miles extra going that way instead of the 160 mile detour.

Just cruised into Winnemucca Nevada from Boise Idaho. 257 miles. No where to charge in between! Limped in at 2%. Last 70 miles I had to go 40-45 mph. I’ve driven it during warm weather and usually have around 12% left (averaging 55 mph). Cold weather really saps the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Drove my RWD M3 between Winnemucca and Boise 2 weeks ago. Coming back was sketchier than going. No sign of any progress on location of new superchargers in McDermitt. Was obvious they weren’t gonna be done this quarter.

Another location they hopefully add soon is Grangeville, ID between Boise/McCall and Missoula. No fast charging currently, a couple destinations chargers is all.

I did this drive in Sept in my Rivian. Charged at the Walmart in Winnemucca and at the slow charger in McDermott. I had two dirt bikes in the bed and limped into Boise with 3% charge after drafting a semi of 15 miles. It was better in the reverse direction but not by much.

I talked to the owner of the store in McDermott and he said Tesla contacted him a long time ago and never followed up. He also was very irate at a Tesla owner who had plugged into his 110v outlet over night and slow charged his car while the store was closed.

I'm hoping something gets installed there soon.

Drove my RWD M3 between Winnemucca and Boise 2 weeks ago. Coming back was sketchier than going. No sign of any progress on location of new superchargers in McDermitt. Was obvious they weren’t gonna be done this quarter.

Another location they hopefully add soon is Grangeville, ID between Boise/McCall and Missoula. No fast charging currently, a couple destinations chargers is all.

I did this drive in Sept in my Rivian. Charged at the Walmart in Winnemucca and at the slow charger in McDermott.
I don't understand this. What "slow charger"? There are two CCS stations there in McDermitt. Why didn't you use one of those? Teslas have it harder if they don't have the right adapters, but your Rivian can use the CCS stations. And there are other CCS stations in Orovada too that you could have used.