Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Onamia, MN.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new 4 stall SuC is coming to Onamia, MN.

Casey’s
205 Lindquist St.
Onamia, MN. 56359

Credit MarcoRP and this recent post on Twitter.

75B7C138-6706-48B4-9FF4-DBA3A69539E9.jpeg

I hope this is the start of a trend going into smaller “markets” with 4 stalls. Ely, Grand Marais, International Falls, those types of places.
The main problem with that would be if there's a single cabinet there's a single point of failure.

Also, we've seen how some of the original 4-stall locations can get overcrowded as volumes increase.

Last edited:
The main problem with that would be if there's a single cabinet there's a single point of failure.

Also, we've seen how some of the original 4-stall locations can get overcrowded as volumes increase.
I have to believe they've gotten the cabinets to be reliable enough that this isn't much of a concern. I will take 4 stall Superchargers if it means they can roll them out to more rural areas and at a quicker pace. This 169 location does seem like an area that would probably get upgraded to 8 stalls within a few years time (based on what I've seen for peak summer travel on 169), but there are plenty of outstate areas where 8 stalls are overkill.

With that being said, I'm also wondering if this is less of a cost-saving measure, and more of a regional power limitation of some sort.

I agree, I would love to see a lot more 4 stall superchargers everywhere in rural areas; especially in many of the future locations that never seem to get built.
I don’t think I have ever heard of a V3 cabinet being down (confirmed); and I certainly never have experienced one being down (over 300 supercharger sessions), so I think it is very rare.
That said, I think it is extremely rare for Tesla to actually install a new V3 site as only 4 stalls, so it will probably end up as 8 stalls.

Onamia, MN

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Casey's
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-169
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-169

To: End (US-53 Virginia, MN) - 149 miles
Diversion: 0 miles

US-169. By a lake, but this also connects to Grand Rapids, MN which is on US-2 and US-169 ...

I would not be surprised if the soft costs of a typical installation (location acquisition, permits, utility connections, etc.) are large enough that an 8-stall station is less than 50% more than a 4-stall in total cost. So why take the chance you'll have to go through it all again to expand to 8 stalls sometime in the next few years (and maybe even pay more than you did for the initial install because now the utility has to remove a transformer as well as installing a new one)? Without knowing the cost details it's hard to know whether that's true, but it seems likely. Consider how much more per watt it costs to put solar panels on houses than it costs for a utility-sized solar farm (about a factor of 2), entirely due to soft costs. And a SC installation is much closer to the house situation than to a big solar farm, with every SC station requiring a new set of one-off plans, permitting, location acquisition, and so forth. I'd bet that makes it rare for a 4-stall installation to make sense if you have a planning horizon longer than the next financial quarter.

Reactions: tpedwards