TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Oneonta, NY

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mociaf9, Nov 13, 2018.

1. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Planning Board Approval- 2018-09-17 (PDF Warning)
    8 Supercharger stalls, 2 signed for Tesla-only parking + 6 signed for General parking w/time limit

Google maps location- pretty much at the intersection of NY-23 and I-88. Or, a bit off I-88 right between Binghampton and Schenectady.

I couldn't find if Oneonta had their building permits viewable online. But this might have just been a search failure. And while Tesla's map shows Oneonta as a 2018 "Coming Soon" pin, I wouldn't expect this site to be online until some time in 2019. But I could be wrong and it definitely deserves a scoping by anyone in the area.

• Informative x 3
  2. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Mr. PlugShare

Again lol

3. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

It's been ~2 weeks since I originally posted. Is there anyone who is going to be passing through or who lives nearby that can drop by to take a look at the area? I don't think construction work has started yet but I'd like to have confirmation from boots on the ground.

4. gtr987

gtr987 Member

Checked the 4968 location last Tue, no obvious construction activity at that time, will be checking again in the next few weeks and update this forum accordingly.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Thanks for the confirmation. I just didn't want to be sitting here imagining that construction wouldn't likely start til spring when it was actually already finished in stealth-mode, only no one had been past yet. So, good to know.

6. gtr987

gtr987 Member

visited again today, no obvious signs of preparation / construction. attached photo is my best guess where they may install the chargers, along the right side. 364F73E1-7589-4DDB-9208-76904A6F490A.jpeg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Thanks. My impression, once you had previously confirmed that building hadn't started yet, was always that they wouldn't be starting this year. Maybe one of the crews doing the other NY installs right now (Roscoe, Ossining, or West Nyack) will move here once they are finished at their current locations?

8. gtr987

gtr987 Member

drove around entire site again 15Feb2019, no obvious signs of preparation or construction

• Informative x 2
  9. Allx

Allx Member

Anyone else had a chance to check lately ? There’s a track day in Davenport in May. This location would be really useful :)

10. gtr987

gtr987 Member

surveyed proposed Mirabito location for the 3rd time, still zero construction indications including all the rear real estate behind and to the sides of the car wash.

• Informative x 1
  11. gtr987

gtr987 Member

by the way I-88 between Oneonta and Howes Cavern remains in poor condition, there's a few hints that resurfacing may commence for at least parts of that section soon. Unless you stay in passing lane it really stinks.

12. billh13850

billh13850 Member

wha bump wha bump wha bump wha buddle da buddle da buddle da bump - why whatever do you mean? smooth as glass... :D

13. Metalmanstan

Metalmanstan Member

They might be installing it!! They just started today. Tomorrow or maybe Wednesday I'll Get pictures of the contractors and maybe ask the people inside if its a supercharger station. Can't think of anything else it would be. I drive by hear every day to work so I'm always looking. 66262926_1130898917106090_5707589431293116416_n.jpg 66202592_470331166865708_2983130884749656064_n.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

#14 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    I'd missed this one, but since it seems to be moving along ...

Oneonta, NY

Along Primary Interstates: I-88E*
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-88E

To: I-90 at Rotterdam, NY - 61.7 miles
    Diversion: 1.1 miles

This will allow easy round-trips between Binghamton, NY and Schenectady, NY.

* There is an I-88 in Illinois.

15. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

I just checked for One Ticket digging alerts in the area and not only didn't find anything on behalf of Tesla, but there wasn't anything listed in that area at all. But maybe that site doesn't track all NY alerts? Anyways, a week or two will hopefully tell definitively.

Metalmanstan--Thanks for keeping us informed.

EDIT: Yep, I just expanded the search area to most of Oneonta and the date back to 2017 and there were no digging alerts listed at all. So, maybe the search function isn't working properly or that area doesn't participate in that system.

16. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Mr. PlugShare

Great find! Should we wait for Supercharger equipment to arrive before adding it on Supercharge Info? Although, the location does seem much like the one from the photo by @gtr987 in December. Thoughts @mociaf9 @Chuq

17. Metalmanstan

Metalmanstan Member

I would wait off adding to anything yet. Asked a person inside and they said that they're just redoing some of the parking lot. Which I think is false because the parking lot is in great shape. Plus, the contractors doing the work are MCM Solutions Wireless Services?? Might have to wait a week or two to see the real progress of this one. What usually happens to confirm? Spotting of Telsa logos? Other stuck like electrical equipment?

• Like x 1
  18. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

"Redoing some of the parking lot," sounds to me like the Telephone Game result of someone telling whoever you spoke to that work was going to be done in the parking lot. Not necessarily like they are trying to give bad information. As for confirming, people look for hardware that is recognizable as part of a Tesla supercharger shows up. Most often this is either the supercharger cabinets or the precast concrete bases that the pedestals are attached to.

@Mr. PlugShare - I would also vote to wait. IMO, nothing significant is lost by delaying an update on the map a week or two until there is some additional confirmation. My personal view is that edits where a site's status is changed and then regressed after discovering it was a false alarm should be minimized to all possible extents. Basically, I'd prefer 100% reliable info over having the absolutely earliest possible knowledge. But again, this is a purely personal opinion which may cut no ice with SC.info editorial policy.

• Informative x 1
  19. Metalmanstan

Metalmanstan Member

Went back yesterday and they seem to be cutting horizontal lines in the concrete for about a 50-60ft area. Plus one end seems to be dug up more to maybe put the electricity box. I'll keep you guys updated. Was going to ask one of the workers but they were both sleeping in the truck!! Hahahahha

20. gtr987

gtr987 Member

fwiw the contractor mentioned in the Sep2018 Oneonta Planning Board minutes was GPD Engineering.

Electric Vehicle Charging : GPD Group

of course that doesnt mean they couldnt sub out portions of the project to other contractors, although my googling for "mcm wireless" entities suggests expertise installing drive-tru related gear. But again, many "mcm" search hits and that could be a completely spurious association with the mcm mentioned in earlier posts.