TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger only maintaining high amps for short periods, normal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pixel4, Aug 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pixel4

pixel4 Member

Sorry for the long video but if you skip around you'll see my charge bouncing between 80amp and 222amps. Video: Supercharger

Is this normal? There were no movements in the adjacent stalls. It was frustrating that it didn't stay at 222amps.

This is at San Mateo / Whole Foods

• Informative x 1
  2. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

No, this is not normal. Next time it happens call Tesla while your car is charging so they can connect and see the issue happening realtime.

3. Benjamin Brooks

Yes I've seen it before

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Lots of posts about this already, happening at many superchargers in California. Lots of theories as usual but no definite answers. Do let Tesla know when it's happening, the more info they get the better. They will probably tell you to try another stall.

5. Advicebox

Advicebox Member

#5 Advicebox, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    I spoke with a rep at the San Mateo charger today. He confirmed that Tesla is throttling customers as they get closer to full. The reason is to discourage topping off, and focus on travelers that are bottoming out and need many miles to get to their next destination. I've been to that same supercharger to top off and I got around 150 miles per hour. Today I showed up with only 100 miles left and got up to almost 300 miles per hour. The rep was happy to share how it works.

• Dislike x 4
  6. NeilErdwien

NeilErdwien Member

Is this something different than the normal taper as the battery fills up? As Telsa explains in:

Supercharger | Tesla

Charging each cell is like filling a glass of water without spilling. As the glass fills up, you reduce the flow to catch every last drop. In battery terms, this means reducing current in order to balance cell voltage, ultimately tapering down to a trickle as it nears full. The resulting charge profile is why we recommend charging to 80%, which is typically enough to reach a neighboring Supercharger Station.

7. Advicebox

Advicebox Member

@NeilErdwien

Could be. Just passing on the dialogue with the attendant.. but felt like there was some truth or messaging from Tesla to the effect of Throttling.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The attendant doesn't know what he is talking about and as a Tesla owner you should know better than to believe him. He's describing the supercharging taper without understanding it's a property of the battery and nothing to do with "whether you need it or not".

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

what nonsense. as the battery reaches capacity it tapers the rate of charge.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  10. pixel4

pixel4 Member

I went to San Mateo supercharger again last night to compare. I went from 30% to 82% in about 35-40mins. The amps were stable and slowly eased back as it neared full. I think it was doing around 150amps when I unplugged.

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

rypalmer, what exactly is the reason you ticked the dislike switch? was my comment not factual? or there another reason?

12. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

I hope he misspoke and was attempting to explain the normal taper. If they are intentionally throttling charging rates they will only successfully discourage owners from ever purchasing another Tesla....My cell phone carrier attempted this with data rates and I dumped them and switched carriers...