Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger only maintaining high amps for short periods, normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of posts about this already, happening at many superchargers in California. Lots of theories as usual but no definite answers. Do let Tesla know when it's happening, the more info they get the better. They will probably tell you to try another stall.

I spoke with a rep at the San Mateo charger today. He confirmed that Tesla is throttling customers as they get closer to full. The reason is to discourage topping off, and focus on travelers that are bottoming out and need many miles to get to their next destination. I've been to that same supercharger to top off and I got around 150 miles per hour. Today I showed up with only 100 miles left and got up to almost 300 miles per hour. The rep was happy to share how it works.

Last edited:
I spoke with a rep at the San Mateo charger today. He confirmed that Tesla is throlling customers as they get closer to full. The reason is to discourage topping off, and focus on travelers that are bottoming out and need many miles to get to their next destination. I've been to that same supercharger to top off and I got around 150 miles per hour. Today I showed up with only 100 miles left and got up to almost 300 miles per hour. The rep was happy to share how it works.
Is this something different than the normal taper as the battery fills up? As Telsa explains in:

Supercharger | Tesla

Charging each cell is like filling a glass of water without spilling. As the glass fills up, you reduce the flow to catch every last drop. In battery terms, this means reducing current in order to balance cell voltage, ultimately tapering down to a trickle as it nears full. The resulting charge profile is why we recommend charging to 80%, which is typically enough to reach a neighboring Supercharger Station.

Could be. Just passing on the dialogue with the attendant.. but felt like there was some truth or messaging from Tesla to the effect of Throttling.
The attendant doesn't know what he is talking about and as a Tesla owner you should know better than to believe him. He's describing the supercharging taper without understanding it's a property of the battery and nothing to do with "whether you need it or not".

I spoke with a rep at the San Mateo charger today. He confirmed that Tesla is throttling customers as they get closer to full. The reason is to discourage topping off, and focus on travelers that are bottoming out and need many miles to get to their next destination. I've been to that same supercharger to top off and I got around 150 miles per hour. Today I showed up with only 100 miles left and got up to almost 300 miles per hour. The rep was happy to share how it works.
what nonsense. as the battery reaches capacity it tapers the rate of charge.

I hope he misspoke and was attempting to explain the normal taper. If they are intentionally throttling charging rates they will only successfully discourage owners from ever purchasing another Tesla....My cell phone carrier attempted this with data rates and I dumped them and switched carriers...