Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ontario, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that Springfield to Grants Pass could use another Supercharger Station in the middle — I could make it in my car, with much lower range (178 RM) and much lower efficiency than your SR+, but it isn't easy. Range anxiety in an SR+? That's a surprise. Maybe in winter with really poor weather, I suppose.

However, Bandon to Lincoln City is really easy, in part because the speeds on the coast highway are lower than typical I-5 speeds, so the distance doesn't matter as much, due to the reduced drag that greatly increases efficiency. Even Eugene to Florence and back is really easy for an SR+, so if you wanted to get to the coast and back home without charging it would depend on how far north or south from Florence you wanted to go. A loop of Eugene to Florence to Newport to Corvallis to Eugene would be easy in my car and trivial in an SR+. Even an out-and-back from Eugene to Coos Bay would be doable in my car and easy in an SR+.

With so many parts of the country under-served by Superchargers, your area is already relatively well covered IMO.
I'm in agreement here. Don't see an urgent need on the coast, but Roseburg or Sutherlin is desperately needed, not only for shorter range vehicles, but also to provide density and better spacing. Grants Pass has been filling up at times, so I suppose they could expand that location, but... it's not the greatest location (imo), and making a new one (in Roseburg or Sutherlin) that provides more options and better spacing would be better than merely expanding GP.

I drive a relatively long range car (310 Rated Miles), but I can't really avoid stopping in GP when heading south, especially in winter. The only ways to do it involve charging to near full in Springfield and driving slowly, both of which slow me down. It's annoying to have to slow charge with a >50% SOC and to have to stop at every supercharger, so better spacing opportunities are important when increasing density. I suppose you could make the same argument for the coast, but the difference is, most people are going to the Oregon Coast as a destination rather than blasting down the coast all at once on the same drive. Along I-5, you have a lot of Tesla owners from Vancouver, Seattle and Portland blasting straight through on their way to California (and vice versa of course).

I agree. Which one is more significant: Boardman/Hood River or Roseburg?
While I would prefer Boardman, because I use I-84 to get to and from Portland — Pendleton to The Dalles can be difficult with a strong headwind — I-5 carries a lot more traffic and would seem to be a more important corridor to fill up with Supercharging options. So, I would say Roseburg; Boardman is in the "would be nice" category.

Nevertheless, I really appreciate Burley and Ontario on I-84: Twin Falls to Tremonton is difficult in my car (I've done it eleven times, counting both directions). Ontario combined with Burns will be a big deal for those headed to/from central Oregon (my sister lives in Crooked River Ranch, near Terrebone).

Last edited:
I just drove from Evanston, WY to Seattle and I loved having the new locations in Burley and Ontario. I was able to skip Twin Falls, Boise, and Baker City. So nice! That was a long drive for one day but I was motivated to get home. Stayed at the supercharger host hotel in Evanston and charged in Burley, Ontario, Pendleton, and a brief top off in Ellensburg. Not bad.

I just drove from Evanston, WY to Seattle and I loved having the new locations in Burley and Ontario. I was able to skip Twin Falls, Boise, and Baker City. So nice! That was a long drive for one day but I was motivated to get home. Stayed at the supercharger host hotel in Evanston and charged in Burley, Ontario, Pendleton, and a brief top off in Ellensburg. Not bad.
Also, meant to mention that I was able to skip Tremonton! So the opening of these two new superchargers allowed me to skip 4 old ones. For someone who travels a particular corridor a lot, there's nothing worse than having to stop every 100-130 miles at every. single. supercharger. Gets old real fast. So the added density makes each trip seem a little different, which is great.

Also, meant to mention that I was able to skip Tremonton! So the opening of these two new superchargers allowed me to skip 4 old ones. For someone who travels a particular corridor a lot, there's nothing worse than having to stop every 100-130 miles at every. single. supercharger. Gets old real fast. So the added density makes each trip seem a little different, which is great.
Ok, I'll confess to some envy — I have to stop at every Supercharger Station just to make it! I'm really grateful for the 100 to 130 mile spacing.

At least charging at every station is a viable option, so I appreciate that I can make road trips, but it isn't easy, as it is for those in large battery cars. :)

Reactions: IdaX
Ok, I'll confess to some envy — I have to stop at every Supercharger Station just to make it! I'm really grateful for the 100 to 130 mile spacing.

At least charging at every station is a viable option, so I appreciate that I can make road trips, but it isn't easy, as it is for those in large battery cars. :)
Yeah, so the addition of some density here is more of a necessity for the Tesla dinosaurs still roaming the highways, but a nice luxury for most of the Teslas currently on the road. I can't even imagine how easy it has become for the Ravens out there.