Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Options -Toronto to South Carolina

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang,

Like many others here (I assume), we're doing a road trip down south during Spring Break. We're leaving from the Toronto area and going via Buffalo, through Erie, past Pittsburgh, and hooking up to the 1-95 to sleep in Glen Allen VA.

Last year I did this (via Kingston, as Buffalo and Grimsby didn't exist), and we promised ourselves to NEVER EVER travel through the Washington DC area again.

When I plug our destination into the Tesla it wants to route us as follows:

Grimsby ON
Erie PA
Cranberry PA
Somerset PA
Hagerstown MD
Glen Allen VA

This takes us through Washington DC!

I'm thinking instead:

Grimbsby ON
Erie PA
Cranberry PA
Somerset PA
** STASBURG VA **
Glen Allen VA

The distance is about the same, but it's obviously not following main highways in this alternative path. Any thoughts from more experienced Supercharger road trippers?

(This is our 3rd year doing this, but only year 2 in a Tesla and every year a different route due to expanding SC network)

Hey gang,

Like many others here (I assume), we're doing a road trip down south during Spring Break. We're leaving from the Toronto area and going via Buffalo, through Erie, past Pittsburgh, and hooking up to the 1-95 to sleep in Glen Allen VA.

Last year I did this (via Kingston, as Buffalo and Grimsby didn't exist), and we promised ourselves to NEVER EVER travel through the Washington DC area again.

When I plug our destination into the Tesla it wants to route us as follows:

Grimsby ON
Erie PA
Cranberry PA
Somerset PA
Hagerstown MD
Glen Allen VA

This takes us through Washington DC!

I'm thinking instead:

Grimbsby ON
Erie PA
Cranberry PA
Somerset PA
** STASBURG VA **
Glen Allen VA

The distance is about the same, but it's obviously not following main highways in this alternative path. Any thoughts from more experienced Supercharger road trippers?

(This is our 3rd year doing this, but only year 2 in a Tesla and every year a different route due to expanding SC network)

I did the DC route 2 years ago and I would never do it again. It took us almost 4 hours to get through DC when the Nav said 30 minutes.

I recently mapped this out again and I would likely head down through Cranberry and then over to Triadelphia, WV for a top up and then head straight south to somewhere around the Charleston area and plan for an overnight stay with a destination charge. The next morning head for Wytheville, VA and the rest is simple. Depending on your plans, the overnight could be a little inconvenient but it will save you close to half a day in the car.

Now if Tesla could one day fill in the WV gap, this would be much easier.

I just wish Tesla would add waypoint mapping.
You can point to a pin now and select that route then point another pin to continue but it is so old school mapping this way!
Come on Tesla! Get with it!
I can buy a cheap Garmin GPS that has waypoints!

Reactions: Jaff
I took the I-81 route from Florida to Canada (Rockland), last September, in order to avoid the DC traffic. That was a bit mistake for me; the truck traffic on I-81 is extremely heavy. On my return trip, to Florida, I planned the route to go by DC late at night (about 2200), it was a much more pleasant trip.

Reactions: mrElbe
I recently mapped this out again and I would likely head down through Cranberry and then over to Triadelphia, WV for a top up and then head straight south to somewhere around the Charleston area and plan for an overnight stay with a destination charge. The next morning head for Wytheville, VA and the rest is simple. Depending on your plans, the overnight could be a little inconvenient but it will save you close to half a day in the car.

Now if Tesla could one day fill in the WV gap, this would be much easier.

Yeah I wish they'd get the charger in Morgantown done, and then Summersville would be ideal. It's the fastest way through WV on the way to south 1-95 hookup.

if you can hit DC around 230pmish on a weekday you should be able to get thru DC rather quickly traffic starts to become a problem around 3ish

This is exactly what a local friend advised me. Looking at our travel plan I think it's gonna be REALLY close, so I'm going to skip this route and go through Strasburg instead. It's actually a tiny bit less distance (but probably slower roads). I feel better knowing that non-urban roads will have less traffic and be more predictable.

however.. from DC to south carolina is still about 10 hours in a ICE car so expect a drive .. and now that im thinking about if you do go that route you might want to spend the night in Md VA or DC and drive the next morning after 10 .. even if you skip it your still going to run into traffic in arlington and again in richmond till you hit to the change over that passes thru NC ( i want to say 86 but i might be wrong)

We're driving past DC to stay at Glen Allen VA (usually be book an Express Deal hotel via Priceline the day before we leave). We leave well before rush hour so no Richmond VA traffic, and from there it's a good day of driving to Hilton Head Island. Likely a 3pm arrival. But it's actually pretty relaxing since all of the charging stops are well located and spaced about 200 km apart. Gives us a nice break (we switch drivers every stop) and we can pick up groceries, have a nice lunch, etc.