Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Orangeburg, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged at both the Lexington, SC and Orangeburg, SC Superchargers. There was one down at Orangeburg that I happened to luck into but it is a nice location with lots of amenities. Both were reasonably convenient and much needed. I haven't tried the St. George one on I-95 yet.

Certainly nobody else was stepping up to the plate to host an I-26 Supercharger. Sure, would it have been nice to see a 24-hour convenience store/fast food place step up and host a sorely needed Supercharger, but that didn't happen. A gas station that is at least willing to see the writing on the wall filled that role. If you feel that strongly about it and feel that their hosting a SC site is merely lip service, then perhaps you should have not stopped there at all and patronized their store and used their restrooms.

Certainly nobody else was stepping up to the plate to host an I-26 Supercharger. Sure, would it have been nice to see a 24-hour convenience store/fast food place step up and host a sorely needed Supercharger, but that didn't happen. A gas station that is at least willing to see the writing on the wall filled that role. If you feel that strongly about it and feel that their hosting a SC site is merely lip service, then perhaps you should have not stopped there at all and patronized their store and used their restrooms.
I didn't see you there. I was referring to the executives from Spinx coming over to chat with us as being the lip service. Everyone here seems to want to continue this conversation, but me so I will continue it as well. Again, do the math on the volume of gasoline that goes through that location. I did the math on the pumps. Did the math on the various other locations Why don't you do the same.

The lip service is it is a trivial amount that they provide to us as Tesla compared to the hydrocarbon emissions they provide for others to distribute.

A store is a store. Are you trying to bully me out of using the supercharger as well?

• Disagree
Reactions: Jeremy3292
This is a critically needed site and I have nothing but good things to say about Spinx finally starting up in this space.

I don't expect companies to solve every problem with every venture at the very start. It just isn't realistic. I also don't expect them to shut down businesses that service 98% of the current market, even when we know the dynamic is in a state of change.

I'm happy to have them here and they've already solved a real need of mine.

I didn't see you there. I was referring to the executives from Spinx coming over to chat with us as being the lip service. Everyone here seems to want to continue this conversation, but me so I will continue it as well. Again, do the math on the volume of gasoline that goes through that location. I did the math on the pumps. Did the math on the various other locations Why don't you do the same.

The lip service is it is a trivial amount that they provide to us as Tesla compared to the hydrocarbon emissions they provide for others to distribute.

A store is a store. Are you trying to bully me out of using the supercharger as well?
No, not at all. But I do find it somewhat hypocritical of you to patronize a store that you have such passionate feelings against.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I don't expect companies to solve every problem with every venture at the very start.
Yep. GM, VW and Ford are still making ICE cars but trying to transition from that to EVs. It'll take awhile.
Personally, I'm glad Spinx is allowing chargers to be installed. They, and a few others, are taking the lead. Eventually they won't be selling gas, but it won't happen overnight.

I said I didn't like my car being used for green propaganda for a less than green company. They didn't ask me for permission to photo me while in car, or others standing next to car.

As a side note, I have asked moderator to have all subsequent posts on the topic below mine to be moved to snippiness as I believe they are junking up this supercharger post. Again, you all open the door.
The members here responded to your post in a public forum. You simply didn't like that we disagreed with you, so you went on a rant against us all and did some pretty childish things IMO, like going on a downvoting spree in spite for no reason.

I'm sorry you didn't like being photographed for "propaganda" but it is not illegal to take photos in a public place and they were well within their right to do so.

I will gladly take my share of the "snippiness" blame here, but I think you should also look in the mirror and take your fair share as well.

Yep. GM, VW and Ford are still making ICE cars but trying to transition from that to EVs. It'll take awhile.
Personally, I'm glad Spinx is allowing chargers to be installed. They, and a few others, are taking the lead. Eventually they won't be selling gas, but it won't happen overnight.

It will definitely take a while. I love the progress Ford is making, but I think they will still end up shipping less than 30k Mach-E vehicles in the US this year. Some others are even slower.

AFAIK, we only have three gas stations in SC with superchargers. Its great that spinx has decided to be the third and the first on I-26. Spinx has never really been my favorite, but they've done more for us than QT or Pilot so far, and and those both had plenty of opportunity.

AFAIK, we only have three gas stations in SC with superchargers
Yeah, we don't have many here in S.C.
Sheetz and WaWa in other states have a lot more. A quick search turned up this about WaWa:
"Wawa announced a chainwide milestone of reaching its 50th electric vehicle (EV) charging site across its entire six-state operating area."

---We should be so lucky.

Reactions: jsight
Yeah, we don't have many here in S.C.
Sheetz and WaWa in other states have a lot more. A quick search turned up this about WaWa:
"Wawa announced a chainwide milestone of reaching its 50th electric vehicle (EV) charging site across its entire six-state operating area."

---We should be so lucky.
I wish we had Wawa or Sheetz in South Carolina.

I wish we had Wawa or Sheetz in South Carolina.
You have a great partner so far in SpinX. I suggest you travel to a Wawa in Palm Beach or a Sheetz in Pennsylvania, and you will see a much different operation. All started very similar. Now are unkept dirty gas stations. Supercharger - West Palm Beach, FL - Garden Road

After 450 superchargers visited I think I am fully aware of the "gas station" operation. So if you care about it so much keep the number of the person or personal you met. You can call them when it looks less then great. Then your community looks nicer.

I'm surprised it has taken gas stations this long to figure it out. Gas stations don't make (much) money on the actual sale of gas. They get you on sodas and lotto scratchers. So an EV charger means they have the same likelihood of profit as from gas but customers who are inside the store for 20 minutes instead of darting in for a potty break.

I called Loves truckstops customer service a few years ago when they were building the truckstop at Santee SC and they politely said they'd pass the word up the food chain. That Loves truckstop does not have EV charging today. nor any others I'm aware of.

I called Loves truckstops customer service a few years ago when they were building the truckstop at Santee SC and they politely said they'd pass the word up the food chain. That Loves truckstop does not have EV charging today. nor any others I'm aware of.

There are several Love's outlets that have partnered with Electrify America:
Erick, OK
Tucumcari, NM
Salina, UT
Davenport, FL
Santa Rosa, NM
Quartzsite, AZ
Binghamton, NY

In California, they have partnered with EV Connect:
Ripon, CA
Tulare, CA
Madera, CA

and ChargePoint:
Barstow, CA

Granted, that's not a lot, but hopefully it's the start of something bigger.

There are several Love's outlets that have partnered with Electrify America:
Erick, OK
Tucumcari, NM
Salina, UT
Davenport, FL
Santa Rosa, NM
Quartzsite, AZ
Binghamton, NY

In California, they have partnered with EV Connect:
Ripon, CA
Tulare, CA
Madera, CA

and ChargePoint:
Barstow, CA

Granted, that's not a lot, but hopefully it's the start of something bigger.
Maybe the light finally came on for them!!

Some of these were announced several years ago, so they've seen the light for a while. At least some locations have. I don't know the Love's ownership structure well enough to know if this is a corporate thing or a local ownership thing. I certainly hope Love's is aggressive on adding new locations.
Agreed. Some of these sites go back a couple years, so it's been a slow rollout for sure.

I've seen an uptick in TravelAmerica sites partnering with Greenlots (now Shell Recharge) in California. There's nothing like the competition getting involved to spur on activity, so maybe we will see some of these travel centers follow suit.

(I'm not seeing anything other than a few planned sites in Florida for Pilot though).

Reactions: theothertom
Kinda OT, but I spoke with a fellow yesterday in a western PA supercharger. He is a leaf owner who can't drive to his parent's home in Ohio from the DC metro area because of .... west viginia. EA has only one chademo plug at each station and they often don't work. He had to rent a tesla to be able to make the trip, which is how I met him.

So looking at plug share in WV... two harley dealers have 24kw CCS chargers.... and one on the south end of the turnpike planned. And that's about it.... wow. When I bought our Bolt back in 2017 I noted the same thing... you can't get thru WV. What the heck is up with that state? Tesla has done it... why can't EA or Chargepoint?

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
That was me (and I ended up getting a Mach E). I'm excited to see this location. Stick one on the other side of Columbia near Clinton and the problem is solved.
Yes, a charger near Clinton would be great. It would split the distance between Orangeburg and Asheville. I have a vacation scheduled for October near Asheville (traveling from Florida) and either a Tesla Supercharger or a CCS DCFC & Tesla releasing the CCS adapter in USA would be much appreciated. Currently,I have to stop at one of the Columbia Superchargers and that takes me way off I-26. Orangeburg to Greenville is no fun as I end up on small roads and lots of traffic. There is a Shell (formerly Greenlots) CCS DCFC scheduled for I-26 between Roebuck & Moore but its been "on the books" for some time now.