Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe IRVING will team up with Tesla like they did with FLO

Irving didn't team up with FLO. All Irving did is offera few excess parking spaces rent-free in exchange for NB Power and the Federal Government paying all expenses for an asset on their properties. NB Power chose FLO, but they could have gone with another network. (Fortunately not KSI!)

Finally got a chance to use the Ottawa SC Sunday.
Pain in the butt to get there plus it cost 4.50 for parking.
Nice to see that there was no ICEing though. They do have prominant signage.
As soon as you enter the parking lot, there are Tesla signs directing you where to go.
Hopefully, there will be a SC on the 417 in town or even better, around Perth or Madoc!

No wonder no one parks here now!
IMG_7185.PNG
Maybe ICEs are afraid their car'll blow up!

It's better than paying for parking and for charging

I am concerned that using the fallacy of relative privation argument dismisses the issue.

At the Savannah SC airport, the public parking lot where the Tesla chargers are located, you can get your parking ticket stamped at the information booth located in the main terminal. Supercharging is free. This makes sense. Anything other than this is a money grab, plain and simple. It is not free to supercharge at Rideau Center because money leaves your wallet it purse in order to do so. Not complaining, just stating an obvious fact.

A money grab on whose part? Tesla? Cadillac Fairview? They aren't taking any more money from cars charging than they are from ICE vehicles. If they didn't charge for parking then it would be the opposite of a money grab (a money toss?) since CF would be losing the revenue from these parking spots.

If they did give free parking while charging it would make it prone to abuse in CBDs where parking is expensive. If they offered free parking while charging and I lived in Ottawa then I would make sure to deplete my battery before going downtown. Then I could charge and park free for 1.5-2 hours at the Rideau Centre. Downtown Toronto and Manhattan would be much worse.

A money grab on whose part? Tesla? Cadillac Fairview? They aren't taking any more money from cars charging than they are from ICE vehicles. If they didn't charge for parking then it would be the opposite of a money grab (a money toss?) since CF would be losing the revenue from these parking spots.

If they did give free parking while charging it would make it prone to abuse in CBDs where parking is expensive. If they offered free parking while charging and I lived in Ottawa then I would make sure to deplete my battery before going downtown. Then I could charge and park free for 1.5-2 hours at the Rideau Centre. Downtown Toronto and Manhattan would be much worse.

Obviously not a money grab on Tesla’s part. It is a money grab for CF. They are making money off charging.

Parking is a revenue source and the main reason people pay for parking is to park while they shop. If I do not shop while charging then the charge for parking is directly sourced from a Tesla owner looking just to charge. This supports my point that CF is seeing these situations as new revenue source. People seeking a fuel source for their car and not wanting to shop.

This is a compelling argument for ICE owners and big oil that they don’t charge to parking while filling gas while at a gas station.

How can you argue against this logic?

Supercharging is almost free.

I think it's fair game for urban Superchargers located in downtown shopping centres to have a price that reflects the scarcity of their parking real estate. That's just sound economics. I don't think these are substitutes for inter-city Supercharger sites, which should not have such impositions.

Absolutely fair game. No argument there RY. But back to my point: fueling is not free for those not needing or wanting to shop.

Obviously not a money grab on Tesla’s part. It is a money grab for CF. They are making money off charging.

Parking is a revenue source and the main reason people pay for parking is to park while they shop. If I do not shop while charging then the charge for parking is directly sourced from a Tesla owner looking just to charge. This supports my point that CF is seeing these situations as new revenue source. People seeking a fuel source for their car and not wanting to shop.
CF is operated as a private business to maximize returns to the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan but I don't think situations like this are a big cash grab. I guess it all boils down to this - will the addition of SCs to Rideau Centre increase CF's revenue enough to offset the operating costs that they pay in supplying the electricity. Presumably CF will get some increase in parking revenue (although maybe not in December when the mall may be 100% full with or without SCs) and some increase in sales as SC users shop and/or eat at the RC. But there is no requirement that you have to use the RC - maybe a lot of customers will go across the street to the ByWard market or somewhere else.

So how will Model 3 owners react, who both have to pay for parking and pay for charging?
How will any Tesla driver react if they need to charge but these spaces are unavailable because of an artificial price ceiling? You accrue benefits by being there beyond just the charge. Indoor parking, in a major shopping centre, downtown in our federal capital. The cost to use it should reflect the benefits accrued, this applies to charging anywhere. Unless you want charging to be some unsustainable offering that can't ever meet the needs of the market.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
How does the parking fee compare to the surrounding hotels which do not have ev charging? A few years ago I went to a conference in Ottawa downtown and I had to make use of Doug_G’s generous offer of charging at his level 2 far from downtown. I am wondering if using the Supercharger and continuing to park in the Rideau Centre is comparable in price to moving it to your nearby hotel afterwards after charging?

How will any Tesla driver react if they need to charge but these spaces are unavailable because of an artificial price ceiling? You accrue benefits by being there beyond just the charge. Indoor parking, in a major shopping centre, downtown in our federal capital. The cost to use it should reflect the benefits accrued, this applies to charging anywhere. Unless you want charging to be some unsustainable offering that can't ever meet the needs of the market.

I believe the problem in reconciling any opinions regarding paying for charging is centered around the fact that Tesla chargers take up parking spots where gas fueling is accepted as free to fuel. I still have to get my head around this. Accepting a model of having to pay to park while fueling gives anti-EVers more ammunition to argue their position.