Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Owen Sound, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D66D30B4-85DB-4F4A-B1E5-D970C720287B.jpeg
Great news. The transformer is in. The cables are buried. No power to the chargers yet.

We need a spreadsheet that tracks how long these Superchargers take to be built from start to finish. Hopefully, it would be a consistent thing, but of course infrastructure work would be the big variable I suspect. Either that or Tesla could put it on their website the status of progress of new superchargers (better yet, put the info into the car's map display). It may also help with so many threads where people are asking the same question: "when is it going to open?"

Reactions: MarcoRP
What makes you say May? Based on the photos here, it seems the pedestals and cabinets are installed, the utility transformer is installed, that pretty much only leaves final inspection and throwing the switch, no?
I agree. I am wondering from where the inspectors have to travel? If they have to come from somewhere a long distance away (U.S.?) they may be slow in getting to a Canadian site to give the final go ahead, or maybe they would wait for more than one site relatively close together to be ready (like Hamilton and Owen Sound) before doing the final inspection? Just speculation on my part. Anyone know for sure?

We need a spreadsheet that tracks how long these Superchargers take to be built from start to finish. Hopefully, it would be a consistent thing, but of course infrastructure work would be the big variable I suspect. Either that or Tesla could put it on their website the status of progress of new superchargers (better yet, put the info into the car's map display). It may also help with so many threads where people are asking the same question: "when is it going to open?"
On the car’s map seems a bit off honestly. It may go into confusing drivers. Second, I would much prefer feeling the excitement of finding a new Supercharger location rather than getting notified by a computer, which would mean that this entire forum would be run by Tesla. A bit of a bore honestly. Finding chargers live time like @Chuq is a different story. It’s basically a hide and seek game. After 2 months of hiding (Tesla Time), you give up and it goes on. It feels « cheap » if you stop the game after a brief day (Tesla Time) . One of the main reasons that I’m still on this forum is because I can feel the satisfaction of knowing that « we » caught another one. It is, with obviously my one exception, my favorite « game ». And I don’t want Tesla to start a new system that would work like that, never.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I am wondering from where the inspectors have to travel? If they have to come from somewhere a long distance away (U.S.?) they may be slow in getting to a Canadian site to give the final go ahead, or maybe they would wait for more than one site relatively close together to be ready (like Hamilton and Owen Sound) before doing the final inspection? Just speculation on my part. Anyone know for sure?
I met a Tesla tech in Wisconsin and he had been all over the US and Canada. He even mentioned places like RdL and Drummondville by name. This doesn't mean that there isn't now a supercharger tech based in Canada, but as of a year or two ago they were sending guys up from the states. He seemed to do and know everything related to superchargers. Activation, repair, maintenance, etc.

Second, I would much prefer feeling the excitement of finding a new Supercharger location.....It’s basically a hide and seek game.
I am anticipating the fun as we discover the new Superchargers as the build out across northern Ontario and Manitoba and Saskatchewan occurs. There are so few Tesla drivers going near most of these sites that I bet most are discovered only when Tesla announces them. But I bet that the hunt to discover them will be too much to resist for some adventuresome souls with time and a Model S or X on their hands, especially once the first ones are announced.

Reactions: MarcoRP and mrElbe
I met a Tesla tech in Wisconsin and he had been all over the US and Canada. He even mentioned places like RdL and Drummondville by name. This doesn't mean that there isn't now a supercharger tech based in Canada, but as of a year or two ago they were sending guys up from the states. He seemed to do and know everything related to superchargers. Activation, repair, maintenance, etc.
We had the Tech responsible for Canadian SuperChargers at our Ontario chapter meeting last year. He is Canadian. He was very tight lipped about any future sites, but admitted that he was going to "Quebec", that evening, to commission a site. Two days later the Brossard QC site went live.
They are active and silent.....

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
On the car’s map seems a bit off honestly. It may go into confusing drivers. Second, I would much prefer feeling the excitement of finding a new Supercharger location rather than getting notified by a computer, which would mean that this entire forum would be run by Tesla. A bit of a bore honestly. Finding chargers live time like @Chuq is a different story. It’s basically a hide and seek game. After 2 months of hiding (Tesla Time), you give up and it goes on. It feels « cheap » if you stop the game after a brief day (Tesla Time) . One of the main reasons that I’m still on this forum is because I can feel the satisfaction of knowing that « we » caught another one. It is, with obviously my one exception, my favorite « game ». And I don’t want Tesla to start a new system that would work like that, never.

The Easter Egg hunt is fun - for now. I understand, but I also think that once the Model 3 rolls out more fully, part of the puzzle will be strategizing going forward. I suspect the SCs may get overwhelmed like it does in California with those who aren't really commuting, but those who haven't, won't or cannot put in their own charger where they live. The novelty will wear thin when you're busy fighting for a spot to charge. Yes, I hope Tesla will continue to expand the charger network, and more than likely they will, but nonetheless I believe that right now it's still pretty thin coverage when you get down to it.