Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oxnard, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, now 20 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The under-construction area in the photos to the west of the Oxnard Superchargers is not a Tesla expansion. Instead, it will be a storage area for the new Cheesecake Factory that is under construction. This new restaurant is being built across the street from the Victoria's Secret at this mall on Collection Boulevard. Not a new building, the space was a The LOFT women's fashion store that closed.

Interesting note about Oxnard, there are now 20 stalls (1450 kVA worth of chargers), but the transformer is 1000 kVA, probably since it was initially installed to serve a smaller number of stalls.
oxnard supercharger transformer.jpg

I wonder if Tesla has the charging electronics configured to curtail charge rates to keep the overall load of the station within the transformer capacity. It's also possible they may be exceeding the transformer limit a bit, too.
When I took the photo, the stalls were nearly all full, and the transformer was definitely warm.

I stopped by for the first time on my way to San Luis Obispo for the weekend. Arrived at 5:40pm on a Friday night (spot on accurate arrival time when I entered my destination at 2:30pm from Orange County) and the lot was less than half utilized. My first stall was not working and someone was kind enough to write that on a post-it; I later wrapped the cable around the side of the stall for a visible sign of distress. The second stall I chose was giving me a max rate of 71kW with a 25% SOC. We took the dog to Lazy Dog Cafe just in time for Happy Hour. About an hour and half later the charging rate dropped to 25kW but we had enough to get to SLO with 40 miles on reserve.

We came back Sunday afternoon to a relatively empty SuC lot. The first stall I picked had a max rate of 9kW, so I quickly moved to another stall. With an 18% SOC, I was initially charging at 127kW. I have never seen our S85 charge so fast, but it did taper down below 100kW within minutes. It only took 35 minutes of charging to get to 179 range miles and we were on our way. I'm grateful this SuC is where it is and there were plenty of shops and restaurants to make this a convenient stop.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Two Superchargers not working today but still show as available. took the last spot but people started to leave so there was no waiting. Has anyone ever saw 150Kw at this location? Arrived with 15% SOC, started at 56kw and it jumped to 96-97kw very briefly around 45%, then it’s back down to the 70s.

I've gotten 107kW around 6 months ago in my SR+ but haven't used Oxnard recently. Since the station is served from a 1000kVA transformer shared by 20 charging stalls, i would expect charging speeds to slow down as the station gets more full.

It tends to have low usage in the mornings before 10am, so that's probably the best time to check peak charging speeds.

Two Superchargers not working today but still show as available. took the last spot but people started to leave so there was no waiting. Has anyone ever saw 150Kw at this location? Arrived with 15% SOC, started at 56kw and it jumped to 96-97kw very briefly around 45%, then it’s back down to the 70s.

I've gotten 107kW around 6 months ago in my SR+ but haven't used Oxnard recently. Since the station is served from a 1000kVA transformer shared by 20 charging stalls, i would expect charging speeds to slow down as the station gets more full.

It tends to have low usage in the mornings before 10am, so that's probably the best time to check peak charging speeds.

The 2A/2B pair hasn't worked for almost 2 months... I was there a couple of nights ago, and didn't bother trying them to see if they worked. And some of the stalls never output high rates, whether or not you're connected with someone on a pair. I was paired with someone, and getting around 28... I moved over a number of stalls, and hit 130...

Yes, you can hit the high rates (140+) - but, that definitely depends on how busy it is... I've been using it once or twice a week since getting my X in July.

Moderator note (bmah): This post plus the four posts after it were merged from another thread.

Higher Supercharger Rates In Oxnard. Is this Statewide or SoCal Wide?

I was at the Oxnard Supercharger today and noticed the rates were steeply higher than my previous experience. Now it is $0.39 per kWh. Is this new? Is this statewide or SoCal wide? I was watching another person's vehicle new Y (the first one I have seen in the wild) charge as the owner was showing the interior to me. My 2016 S has unlimited free Supercharging so I have had multiple recent sessions but did not notice the price rise until today. .
Oxnard Supercharger Rates.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Higher Supercharger Rates In Oxnard. Is this Statewide or SoCal Wide?
I was at the Oxnard Supercharger today and noticed the rates were steeply higher than my previous experience. Now it is $0.39 per kWh. Is this new? Is this statewide or SoCal wide? I was watching another person's vehicle new Y (the first one I have seen in the wild) charge as the owner was showing the interior to me. My 2016 S has unlimited free Supercharging so I have had multiple recent sessions but did not notice the price rise until today. .View attachment 559411
Peak rates during peak hours will be a common sight.

SCE and perhaps other utilities in CA have moved the Peak TOU window towards sunset. And they are forcing more and more commercial customers into Demand Based Tariffs instead of billing by kWh.

This is a double whammy. It reduces the value of solar PV systems, and it increases DCFC charging costs.

But it gets better. SCE has applied for large rate increases for each of the next 4 years.

California usually gives SCE anything they desire. If it means harming green industries, green technologies, and eco-conscious customers, so be it. The "green" California wants to see today is Benjamins not lower CO2 levels.

The price of charging is so low compared to petro, what does it matter? Elon doesn't have a money printing machine to build 1000's and 1000's of superchargers all over the world. But the company is continuing to build them, and rapidly We are so fortunate to be able to drive long trips without a charging issue like the others. I say, glass is half full.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecarfan