Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oxnard, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, now 20 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit up Oxnard twice this weekend on a long road trip up/down the California coast. Both times, it was almost full when I pulled in. Heavily used location. Hard to spot from the GPS maps. There was a line of two Teslas waiting when I returned to my car. Oh, and a rare sighting of the chocolate brown color on the right (not mine)

IMG_4625.JPG

Oxnard Supercharger Completely Full with Three Cars Waiting Jan 17 2016

According to Episode 20 or the "Tallking Tesla" Podcast http://www.talkingtesla.net/blog-episodes/ on Sunday January 17, 2016 all 10 bays of the Oxnard Supercharger were full with 3 Teslas waiting to charge when the co-host, Mel showed up to charge. He became the fourth Tesla which was waiting. Most of the Teslas in the charging bays were unattended by their owners, out shopping, at a restaurant, viewing a movie or somewhere else. This was the day of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket landing that was being viewed at Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, so it is likely several Tesla drivers were driving back home from that, just a guess.

Last edited:
According to Episode 20 or the "Tallking Tesla" Podcast http://www.talkingtesla.net/blog-episodes/ on Sunday January 17, 2016 all 10 bays of the Oxnard Supercharger were full with 3 Teslas waiting to charge when the co-host, Mel showed up to charge. He became the fourth Tesla which was waiting. Most of the Teslas in the charging bays were unattended by their owners, out shopping, at a restaurant, viewing a movie or somewhere else. This was the day of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket landing that was being viewed at Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, so it is likely several Tesla drivers were driving back home from that, just a guess.
Yep, I can confirm that a lot of the people were traveling back to LA from Vandenberg for the Jason-3 Falcon 9 launch. Almost everyone was wearing SpaceX apparel. Same scenario at the Buelton Supercharger, there was a 5 car queue waiting to charge at the Supercharger. I didn't have to wait at the Oxnard SpC though, but I took the last stall.

Interestingly enough, I dropped by the Santa Barbara Pier on the way back and I've never seen so many people wearing SpaceX apparel in my entire life, me included. A lot of people stopped us to ask us if we were at the launch as well.

You make it it sound like there is something wrong with the owners shopping or eating at a restaurant while their cars were charging. That's what they're supposed to be doing. That's why the superchargers are located at restaurants or shopping centers (places where you would want to stop, as the marketing says). There is no reason for owners to stick by their cars, as long as they return in a timely manner when they have sufficient charge. Movies are a different story, as any car would be finished charging long before a movie ends.

Reactions: Ulmo
Completely Full This Afternoon with 5 Teslas Waiting
Today, October 9, at around 3:25 p.m.alll 10 stalls were occupied at the Oxnard Supercharger with 5 cars waiting to charge. I would have been the 6th if I had chosen to stay, but I left. On both October 1st and then again yesterday (October 8th) users reported that stalls 4a and 4b were not working on the Tesla Owners of Ventura County Facebook group. Today, both stalls 4a and 4b were occupied, but the owners weren't in their cars, so I wasn't able to check to see if these vehicles were getting juice.

The problem is, some don't return in a timely manner. In the old days we used to leave our cell number on our windshield if someone needed a charge and wanted to reach us.
Being new to SuperCharging, I will try to remember to do this. All it takes is occasionally keeping the paper page updated, and putting it in the windshield, I presume. I could laminate it at my usual paper processing service providers. I hope there's an easy place to stash it in the car and place it on the dash for this method. I used to tape parking passes to the windshield in my Mercedes; I wonder if getting a suction cup or tape would be best in the Tesla.

I hope everyone here leading by example will get a few copycats to do it and eventually re-introduce this standard, or at least spread it enough that it makes sense.

I heard that the Tesla app isn't very good about notifying of charge nearing completion. I will have to look into the various competitive alternative apps to see if any of them have a feature for that. A quick polite charm 10 minutes, 5 minutes and 2 minutes before charge complete would be very helpful. (And in 2-3 years, it would be nice if they bloated up the feature set just to the point where a walk distance time calculation from current position to car could inform this charm to be 5 minutes before must leave to walk and 0 minutes before must leave to walk for charge complete status.)

Additional stalls were being tested by Tesla and I was told that they should be up very soon, and possibly last night. Some Tesla staff cars were charging on the new spots.

There was a queue of 4 cars when I arrived there last night about 5:30 pm. The line did not last long as cars moved on..

Additional stalls were being tested by Tesla and I was told that they should be up very soon, and possibly last night. Some Tesla staff cars were charging on the new spots.

There was a queue of 4 cars when I arrived there last night about 5:30 pm. The line did not last long as cars moved on..
Just to confirm how many new stalls did they build 10? Making Oxnard a 20 supercharger stop?