Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oxnard, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, now 20 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing Happening at Oxnard Site

Today, May 26th 2014, marks a milestone. It has now been three months since Tesla has received its final approved building permits from the City of Oxnard to build a Supercharger at The Collection at Riverpark shopping center. Sadly, construction has still not begun at this site.

Different Tesla-stated deadlines have all been blown. First it was supposed to be completed by the end of 2013. Then it was supposed to be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2014 (March 31st, 2014). Then the absolute latest start date was going to be March 3rd, 2014. The Underground Service Alert chalk markings that allow underground digging were placed on April 22nd and they are only valid for 28 days, so they expired on May 20th.

San Juan Capistrano holds the Tesla Supercharger record for the length of time from completion of construction until going live. Oxnard holds the Tesla Supercharger record for the length of time from having approved building permits until construction has begun.

Sadly, Oxnard is a much-needed Supercharger for many routes, such as on U.S. 101 South from Buellton to the San Fernando Valley, or on I-5 and S.R. 126 from Tejon Ranch to U.S. 101 North. Tesla is building a tie for the most total charging bays, 10, at this site because it recognizes the potential for high demand.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Interesting that they are putting 10 bays in. I did not know that.

Keep in mind that SJC was projected to be completed by the end of summer 2013 and did not go live until late April 2014 so if you're looking for any records being set, SJC still takes the cake in that regard.

Looking forward to using this SpC. I think it will come in handy if I have enough SOC from Atascadero to bypass Buellton so that I can ride the bottom portion of the battery. Do we have anyone on the inside to inform us as to the reason for the delays?

Last edited:
I stand by my statement: Tesla continues to add to its record daily in Oxnard from the time a city has fully-approved building permits until Tesla has started construction.

James, it seems that the trenching to the Edison boxes would have to go through the 24 Hour Fitness construction site. Tesla may be waiting for the construction to clear out.

James, it seems that the trenching to the Edison boxes would have to go through the 24 Hour Fitness construction site. Tesla may be waiting for the construction to clear out.

Visited today, saw no change :-•

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 887
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 874
I have no idea if this has anything to do with the Supercharger construction but yesterday there was an portable outhouse and hand cleaning station installed exactly next to where the chargers are to be installed. There is no other possible users for these facilities as other construction is distant and they already have their own facilities.

Charging up in Oxnard

I was just in Oxnard last weekend and had to drive our Volt rather than out Model S. Oxnard is an EV desert - it's very hard to find a good spot to charge up and I was SOL on finding any electrical outlets. It will be interesting to see how much demand Oxnard gets.

One of the most convenient places to charge is at the Marriott, it's a quiet spot for a nap, you can grab some food (the restaurant was decent when I tried it) or hang out at the hotel. The charger is free, a J 1772 unit. If you choose to pay, try the Camarillo outlet mall, you'll find multiple blink chargers in the rear near the food court.

A friend texted me today stating that construction had begun today, but had already left before I was able to ask for a picture.

I'm stuck at work all night, is anybody able to confirm work has begun?

A friend texted me today stating that construction had begun today, but had already left before I was able to ask for a picture.

I'm stuck at work all night, is anybody able to confirm work has begun?

Yes, I am happy to report that construction has begun. A construction fence has been erected. City-approved plans show that at least six of the ten total parking stalls will have dual use parking of some sort with the remaining stalls as dedicated for Tesla-only parking. There will be at least three more spaces east of the ten supercharger spaces set aside for future non-Supercharger EV charging stations, of which the Tesla contractor will not be installing. There is a disabled parking spot between the last Supercharger spot and the first non-Supercharger EV charging station parking stall.

Last edited:
Great. Just got home from Santa Barbara with 16 miles remaining. Been looking forward to Oxnard coming on line. Looking for progress photos....Thanks
Blaze--From where did you start your trip?

The Oxnard Supercharger construction progress will take longer than typical due to site specific reasons, according to a source at Tesla. Although Oxnard is the first Tesla Supercharger construction contract for R.D. Engineering and Construction. Tesla has awarded this contractor several other Supercharger bids for other upcoming sites within California.

Yes, I am happy to report that construction has begun. A construction fence has been erected. City-approved plans show that at least six of the ten total parking stalls will have dual use parking of some sort with the remaining stalls as dedicated for Tesla-only parking. There will be at least three more spaces east of the ten supercharger spaces set aside for future non-Supercharger EV charging stations, of which the Tesla contractor will not be installing. There is a disabled parking spot between the last Supercharger spot and the first non-Supercharger EV charging station parking stall.

Anyone have a construction update?