Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oxnard, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, now 20 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any one kept up on the statistics of Supercharger stations?
Specifically:
What is the list of stations by rollout dates?
Is this really the 200th station worldwide? (we should put a plaque on it if it's #200.
What is the distribution of stations by number of stalls? and what is the greatest # of stalls?

The North American Tesla Supercharger Locations wiki has opening dates and number of stalls for stations in the U.S. and Canada. Tesla claimed Oxnard was #200 on Facebook FWIW. Gilroy CA and Centralia WA are the only others with 10, although that record will soon be surpassed by Rancho Cucamonga.

The North American Tesla Supercharger Locations wiki has opening dates and number of stalls for stations in the U.S. and Canada. Tesla claimed Oxnard was #200 on Facebook FWIW. Gilroy CA and Centralia WA are the only others with 10, although that record will soon be surpassed by Rancho Cucamonga.

Also, Barstow has 12 stalls temporarily. Tesla put in 4 Stalls of Mobile Superchargers during construction. The 8 new stalls are finished, but there are theories that the 4 "temporary," mobile stalls will stay until the shade/solar structure is finished and/or the Primm site is complete. The Tesla site lists Barstow as 8 stalls, so that will probably be the number when all the construction is complete, greatly reducing the need for 100%, range, lengthy charges.

Los Angeles Times Coverage

The LA Times splash on the Oxnard Supercharger Station opening:

Tesla fires up supercharger station in Oxnard - LA Times

Tesla fires up supercharger station in Oxnard

600x338.jpg
Tesla Motors has announced the opening of a new supercharger station in Oxnard, making it possible for Los Angeles residents to drive to Santa Barbara and back in one of its electric cars, the company says, with a 30-minute stop for refueling. Here, a Tesla Model S is plugged in inside the... (Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times)

At last! You can drive your Tesla to Santa Barbara and back, and you have another great reason to stop on the way in Oxnard.

Tesla Motors announced it has opened a new Southern California supercharging station, at Oxnard's Collection at River Park shopping center, on Park View Court.
The station is Tesla's latest addition to a charging network that also includes superchargers in Hawthorne to the south, Tejon Ranch and Solvang to the north and Barstow to the east.
The superchargers allow a Tesla vehicle to charge to full capacity in about 30 minutes.
300x169.jpgRelated story: Are Teslas disappearing in China?Charles Fleming

The company also has a network of non-superchargers throughout Southern California, though charging through those stations takes longer.
Follow me on Twitter: @misterfleming

round trip to LA

The LA Times splash on the Oxnard Supercharger Station opening:

Tesla fires up supercharger station in Oxnard - LA Times

Tesla fires up supercharger station in Oxnard

600x338.jpg
Tesla Motors has announced the opening of a new supercharger station in Oxnard, making it possible for Los Angeles residents to drive to Santa Barbara and back in one of its electric cars, the company says, with a 30-minute stop for refueling. Here, a Tesla Model S is plugged in inside the... (Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times)

Hmmm... Los Angeles is 100 miles from LA so one can make it round trip without charging at all!!!

I dropped by the SuperCharger in Oxnard yesterday--10 stations--very nice. But I couldn't charge. Oh, wait! These are not for us early Tesla Owners (3 years)--only the new owners. No 70 amp charger for me with a Tesla head, so I have to fight for a 32 amp charger elsewhere with all the Volts and Leafs. Sure seems like it would have been nice for Tesla to think of us Roadster owners and put 70 amp chargers in for us as well as the SuperChargers for the Model S......

Oxnard Supercharger Station

Timothy, I feel your pain, but with just 1,400 Roadster owners in the US (driving a car that was not designed with DC fast charging and with a trunk just big enough to hold one small suitcase so it was not intended for long distance all day travel), it just doesn't make business sense for Tesla to spend money on including a Roadster compatible charging station at each Supercharger. They would rarely be used.

I am not criticizing the Roadster! It is an awesome car. But I understand why Tesla is not offering Roadster charging at Superchargers. I believe that few Roadster owners will want to wait at a Supercharger station for an hour to get about 50 miles of range. Yes, a few might have that kind of patience. But I think most won't.

I expect to now get criticism heaped upon me by irate Roadster owners...

Used this supercharger today. Unfortunately, I did not double check that it was charging properly. We lost 1/2 hr. thinking we were charging fast. Looked at the app and realized it was charging at like 8 mph!! Went and unplugged, then tried again. Still malfunctioning. Then moved the car to a different slot. Then only got about 90 mph. Moved to a third slot, and finally we got full speed! I wish the app would alert us to a malfunctioning supercharger - or Tesla alerts us. Don't they monitor these? I then tried calling a couple different Tesla numbers, but both numbers left me waiting too long. I ended up hanging up. I wanted to alert them to these two not charging fast enough.
Also hit Harris Ranch yesterday. Went flawlessly! Super fast!

Last night a car traveling on the 101 freeway somehow lost control & crashed into the supercharging transformers knocking out service to a couple stalls, pretty serious crash but could have been a lot worse if an explosion or electrocution had occurred for Tesla.
Major injury crash reported on Highway 101 in Oxnard - VC-Star (article has 2 photos)

I guess in this instance they need to put bullards on the other side (freeway side ) of the charging stations!!

Last night a car traveling on the 101 freeway somehow lost control & crashed into the supercharging transformers knocking out service to a couple stalls, pretty serious crash but could have been a lot worse if an explosion or electrocution had occurred for Tesla.
Major injury crash reported on Highway 101 in Oxnard - VC-Star (article has 2 photos)

Just to clarify - power to the remaining 7 stalls remains unaffected by the collision? I'll potentially be stopping at this SpC on Friday so would like to know. Thanks.

Used this supercharger today. Unfortunately, I did not double check that it was charging properly. We lost 1/2 hr. thinking we were charging fast. Looked at the app and realized it was charging at like 8 mph!! Went and unplugged, then tried again. Still malfunctioning. Then moved the car to a different slot. Then only got about 90 mph. Moved to a third slot, and finally we got full speed! I wish the app would alert us to a malfunctioning supercharger - or Tesla alerts us. Don't they monitor these? I then tried calling a couple different Tesla numbers, but both numbers left me waiting too long. I ended up hanging up. I wanted to alert them to these two not charging fast enough.
Also hit Harris Ranch yesterday. Went flawlessly! Super fast!

When this happened, were there any other cars charging? You know about how the Superchargers share output between two parking spaces?

Ventura County Star Article about Auto Crash into Oxnard Supercharger

For those who do not have access to the Ventura County Star website, here is the article that was posted on Friday, October 17th.
OXNARD, Calif. - A car left northbound Highway 101 Friday in Oxnard and slammed into a new Tesla charging station at The Collection shopping center, leaving an Oxnard man with moderate injuries.
The crash was reported at 4:40 p.m. at northbound Highway 101 and Oxnard Boulevard exit.
The California Highway Patrol reported a car went off the highway and hit one of the high-voltage charging stations that recently began operations in a high-profile project at the shopping center.
The Oxnard man’s car was driving in the lane for the Oxnard Boulevard exit when the car veered off the road. It hit a concrete ditch, popped up and hit a fence and the charging station, patrol officer Francisco Navarro said.
The car was totaled in the accident and the man was the only person in the car. Drugs and alcohol were not a factor in the crash, Navarro said.
The patrol listed the incident as a major-injury traffic collision, and as of 6 p.m., at least three of the stations were roped off.

Attachments

• MEGAN DISKIN: THE STAR What appeared to be a crane was being used by a towing company to move a .jpg
    MEGAN DISKIN: THE STAR What appeared to be a crane was being used by a towing company to move a .jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 649
  • Megan Diskin:The Star A car rests against a new Tesla charging station at The Collection in Oxna.jpg
    Megan Diskin:The Star A car rests against a new Tesla charging station at The Collection in Oxna.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 652
Reactions: rrosenbl