Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ozona, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a recommendation for best place to pick up lunch in Ozona? Anyone been to the wagon wheel for BBQ? We have a 1 hr 10 min supercharger stop in Ozona before making the jump to Van Horn.
Sorry, we just walked to DQ. The lady at the front desk at the hotel recommended "The Cafe Next Door" and it looked decent from the outside, but ice cream always wins out...

We just sat in the car today - didn't try to walk to anything other than the lobby for a quick restroom break. We may try to make it from Ozona to Van Horn next week- today we drove up to Midland from Van Horn and then to Ozona. it was an extra hour drive time plus the extra 40 min charge time in Midland Probably could have just went slower on I-10 and been ok from Van Horn to Ozona. Damn I wish Ft Stockton was done.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Im traveling so just a quick post. When I get home in 2 days I’ll expand on my comments. FYI I also submitted this post on Google Maps.

I just posted the sign that the owners of the hotel were forced to put on the superchargers because of bad behavior by Tesla owners. I spent an hour talking to Manish the owner.

This SC location is critical and for owners to risk losing it by stealing from him, my words not Manish’s, is reprehensible.

Here and everywhere don’t ruin it for everyone. I always go into the establishment and thank them for hosting the SC. And if possible I make a purchase even if it’s just a small drink, coffee or snack.

Manish said we are always welcome to use the restroom and during harsh weather come sit inside. Thank you sir.

Attachments

• 4C28D42F-482D-46DA-8938-6B2BD39D55EA.jpeg
    4C28D42F-482D-46DA-8938-6B2BD39D55EA.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 113
Im traveling so just a quick post. When I get home in 2 days I’ll expand on my comments. FYI I also submitted this post on Google Maps.

I just posted the sign that the owners of the hotel were forced to put on the superchargers because of bad behavior by Tesla owners. I spent an hour talking to Manish the owner.

This SC location is critical and for owners to risk losing it by stealing from him, my words not Manish’s, is reprehensible.

Here and everywhere don’t ruin it for everyone. I always go into the establishment and thank them for hosting the SC. And if possible I make a purchase even if it’s just a small drink, coffee or snack.

Manish said we are always welcome to use the restroom and during harsh weather come sit inside. Thank you sir.

I've never understood why so many superchargers are at hotels. Makes ZERO sense. If I'm charging for ~30 minutes the last thing I usually want to get is a hotel room.....

That’s where Tesla was able to contract for parking spaces.

So in Las Vegas, NM... Kocina De Raphael, Blakes Lotaburger, Pino's Family restaurant, La Fiesta, Arbys, Little Moon, Hillcrest Restaurant, Johnnies Kitchen, World Traveler Cafe, Wal-Mart, Dicks Restuarant..... etc, etc.... ALL the eateries said 'no'? What exactly is so special about hotels that they welcome the chargers but not the drivers?

Reactions: ℬête Noire
So in Las Vegas, NM... Kocina De Raphael, Blakes Lotaburger, Pino's Family restaurant, La Fiesta, Arbys, Little Moon, Hillcrest Restaurant, Johnnies Kitchen, World Traveler Cafe, Wal-Mart, Dicks Restuarant..... etc, etc.... ALL the eateries said 'no'? What exactly is so special about hotels that they welcome the chargers but not the drivers?
This came up with discussion with the Rudy's staff mentioned elsewhere in this forum. A lot of restaurant lots aren't big enough to give up spots for Tesla stalls. They want to make sure they don't have empty seats inside because people can't park, and also there can be regulatory requirements, too.

Hotels might have a little more wiggle room because of how their clients come and go (or mostly don't). Although often there is still the trade-off that a lot of the charging stalls won't be dedicated to Tesla.

Plus, a lot of restaurants don't own their parking lots.

While I'm sure some Tesla owners have taken advantage of the "amenities" here more than they should, I think this sign is more indicative of the hotel's cold attitude toward Tesla owners than anything else. I have charged at Ozona 3 or 4 times and the one time I didn't stay at the hotel, they acted like it was some big deal to allow me to use the lobby restroom. They seriously paused and were considering not even letting me in (it was after hours but the lobby is 24/7).

If you're a hotel and hosting a supercharger, you have to realize that Tesla owner aren't going to stay at your hotel every time they charge. And you need to at least be accommodating on the occasions when they don't stay at your hotel. They did gain my business twice by hosting the supercharger. I'm sure I never would have stayed at this hotel had they not had the supercharger. But based on their attitude, I'm sure the only thing they remember is the time I "rudely" asked to use their restroom at 1am, rather than thinking of the business they gained by having the supercharger. Based on their attitude, I would be much less likely to stay here again in the future. I just can't stand businesses that have no sense of customer service. and have a pay (every time!) for play attitude rather than trying to accommodate people the best they can and gain business that way. I guess I am old school.

While I'm sure some Tesla owners have taken advantage of the "amenities" here more than they should, I think this sign is more indicative of the hotel's cold attitude toward Tesla owners than anything else. I have charged at Ozona 3 or 4 times and the one time I didn't stay at the hotel, they acted like it was some big deal to allow me to use the lobby restroom. They seriously paused and were considering not even letting me in (it was after hours but the lobby is 24/7).

If you're a hotel and hosting a supercharger, you have to realize that Tesla owner aren't going to stay at your hotel every time they charge. And you need to at least be accommodating on the occasions when they don't stay at your hotel. They did gain my business twice by hosting the supercharger. I'm sure I never would have stayed at this hotel had they not had the supercharger. But based on their attitude, I'm sure the only thing they remember is the time I "rudely" asked to use their restroom at 1am, rather than thinking of the business they gained by having the supercharger. Based on their attitude, I would be much less likely to stay here again in the future. I just can't stand businesses that have no sense of customer service. and have a pay (every time!) for play attitude rather than trying to accommodate people the best they can and gain business that way. I guess I am old school.
Agreed. I was shocked that many fast food places in Europe would not let me use the restroom even if I bought food there. They want me to pay 50c to use the restrooms, as if it is an item they sell. And they refuse to give a cup of water instead pointing me to the bottled water that they sell at exorbitant prices.

Agreed. I was shocked that many fast food places in Europe would not let me use the restroom even if I bought food there. They want me to pay 50c to use the restrooms, as if it is an item they sell. And they refuse to give a cup of water instead pointing me to the bottled water that they sell at exorbitant prices.

Europe has a vastly different culture regarding public restrooms compared to the US. I drove from The Netherlands to Austria several years ago and was surprised to find 'ticket booths' in most of the restrooms. Wasn't cheap either... $1 to piss...

If we could purchase food and drink at the Ozona SC we wouldn't have to dodge the semis coming down the ramp while we walk in the gutter to the DQ or the Cafe next Door. Yes, I'm not thrilled with the location, but it's better than nothing.

I'll stop there tomorrow and ask Manish if he would be interested in directly selling us food and drink, sell us a day pass to use the pool, charge us a service fee to arrange food delivery, or perhaps a combination of services.

This is a windy, boring, very hot or very cold place to charge.
I would be delighted to pay for an opportunity to take a dip in the pool and use the facilities.

Comments?

I encountered this a few weeks ago. I am accustomed to just going into hotels hosting SuperChargers and getting a cup of coffee. Early on, when SuperChargers were rare, I asked desk people about coffee and how to pay for it. The answer invariably was "we don't charge for coffee" or similar. So, I eventually quit asking. In mornings, I have had hotel people offer me breakfast at other locations; I have always declined with thanks. I have always felt free to use the heads, get coffee, and hang around the lounge/lobby at other hotels hosting SuperChargers. Brief chats with hotel people have never before indicated any animosity. I would always mention to unoccupied desk people that I was there for charging as I walked in.
When heading for coffee in Ozona I was asked what I wanted. "Coffee". "That coffee is for hotel guests only". I was so taken aback that I did not ask if they sold it and she did not offer to sell. So, I walked the two hazardous blocks down to the convenience store. I did mention that I had twice been a hotel customer. One minor attraction of the Ozona stop was that my phone was able to satisfy the wifi password requirement since I had been given it as a paying guest. Since I can now easily make Junction to Ft Stockton, I resolved to visit the Ozona SuperCharger no more. However, before dawn Christmas day I was in bad need of a nap. I stopped in Ozona to take a nap in the car while the SuperCharger mainly warmed the car. So, I saw the notice taped to each pylon. Merry Christmas, Tesla Drivers!

Though the management may have been victimized by some Tesla drivers, they do not belong in the hotel business. Note that the notice posted on the plyons does not explicitly say Tesla people are welcome to use the lounge for relaxing and staying warm/cool while charging and that the heads may be used while charging, it clears implies that Tesla people are generally not welcome.

I have the impression that the current hotel operators have taken over from whoever did the Tesla lease. We would all clearly benefit from being aware of whatever, if any, agreement was made about "amenities" at SuperCharger installation time.

I am completely happy to never again patronize that hotel or that SuperCharger. At least under current management. In the unlikely event that I need an Ozona hotel room in the future, I will patronize one of the other hotels. I will again start asking about coffee at other hotels hosting SuperChargers.

I agree with others that siting at 24 hour truck stops is the better match.

@PLUS EV I fully agree hotel are not good locations. But there is no excuse for this “...slept for a couple of hours until the hotel breakfast was open. After all, I was a guest (at least a Supercharger guest), LOL.”

From this post - Supercharger - Van Horn, TX

I’m sure the hotels are fed up.
I'm talking about Ozona, not Van Horn. Also Graffi has since clarified that statement. He said the hotel invited him to have breakfast.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I encountered this a few weeks ago. I am accustomed to just going into hotels hosting SuperChargers and getting a cup of coffee. Early on, when SuperChargers were rare, I asked desk people about coffee and how to pay for it. The answer invariably was "we don't charge for coffee" or similar. So, I eventually quit asking. In mornings, I have had hotel people offer me breakfast at other locations; I have always declined with thanks. I have always felt free to use the heads, get coffee, and hang around the lounge/lobby at other hotels hosting SuperChargers. Brief chats with hotel people have never before indicated any animosity. I would always mention to unoccupied desk people that I was there for charging as I walked in.
This has generally been my experience as well, but there are always exceptions. I think people mentioned some real animosity from the hotel owner at Warsaw, NC and I remember a less than warm welcome at one of the places in BC near the Alberta border (Golden, BC, I think), similar to how I felt when I asked to use the restroom at Ozona. But 95+% of the time the hotels are welcoming.

I do like the truck stop superchargers, but I also like hotel superchargers. Both types offer 24 hour restrooms which is a big plus. And the hotels usually offer a nice place to hang out while you wait, even if there is nothing to buy or eat. I also tend to stay at hotels with superchargers more than most probably would, because I'm often on very long trips and trying to make as good of time as possible. And, I also prefer to stay out of major city centers when I go on road trips. Pretty much all of the hotel superchargers are located outside of big cities and conveniently located near the interstate.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
This has generally been my experience as well, but there are always exceptions. I think people mentioned some real animosity from the hotel owner at Warsaw, NC and I remember a less than warm welcome at one of the places in BC near the Alberta border (Golden, BC, I think), similar to how I felt when I asked to use the restroom at Ozona. But 95+% of the time the hotels are welcoming.

Yes, I agree 95+% of SuperCharging hosting hotels are very friendly, nice, helpful, welcoming. To make clear, I previously had warm fuzzy feelings for the Ozona hotel because of their SuperCharging hosting role and previously went out of my way to patronize them.

I think an "unwelcoming hotel" thread might be valuable. Get all the problem hotels listed in one place for reference. Since you have two examples to my one, perhaps you would start it?