Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ozona, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only Tesla can verify if monetary compensation was involved. Perhaps BW got the lease money and QI got nothing (hmmm).

I can only again relay what Mr. Patel and his wife told me as I recall from our conversations:

*The hotel has never received compensation in any form from Tesla.
*The hotel receives acknowledgement on SC charts and lists - nothing more
*Some Tesla owners (or their parties) left messes in the restrooms and in the lobby
*Some Tesla owners (or their parties) attempted to get coffee and/or breakfast without asking or paying for the privilege

*Mr. and Mrs. Patel expected that Tesla drivers would occasionally rent rooms and pass the word about the hotel. They were later surprised to discover that SC users would not need to spend the night, only an hour or so. Not a good surprise.

That last one is the key to happiness for an innkeeper. Gotta get butts in beds. Not happening here.

Perhaps the SC should have been installed at the other SC site considered: the C of C building a short distance away.

We need this SC site. Without it we'll have a brand new I-10 gap. Hope Iraan is still good.

*Mr. and Mrs. Patel expected that Tesla drivers would occasionally rent rooms and pass the word about the hotel. They were later surprised to discover that SC users would not need to spend the night, only an hour or so. Not a good surprise.

That last one is the key to happiness for an innkeeper. Gotta get butts in beds. Not happening here.
Despite their ignorance, this just isn't true. I stayed there myself... twice! And I can assure you and Mr. Patel that it is highly unlikely that I would have stayed here if not for the supercharger being on property. No one ever asked me if I was driving a Tesla when i checked in.

Given this bit of false information that Mr. Patel is spreading, I am highly suspicious of the rest of his complaints. I'm sure there has been the occasional inconsiderate Tesla driver, but I think it is quite likely that he is exaggerating these stories.

Every business has some bad apple customers. Those that treat all of their customers as if they are bad apples are doomed to fail. I wish Mr. Patel and his business operation the best, but from here on, I will be avoiding this place and this supercharger to whatever extent that I can.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Sorry for my poorly worded post.

Lines without asterisks are my interpretation of the situation. My words, not Mr. Patel's.
My words: "That last one is the key to happiness for an innkeeper. Gotta get butts in beds. Not happening here."
I should have said "Not happening often enough here." or something similar. My mistake. Sorry.

Patel is not spreading disinformation.

I don't think I'll be a messenger any more.

Sorry for my poorly worded post.

Lines without asterisks are my interpretation of the situation. My words, not Mr. Patel's.
My words: "That last one is the key to happiness for an innkeeper. Gotta get butts in beds. Not happening here."
I should have said "Not happening often enough here." or something similar. My mistake. Sorry.

Patel is not spreading disinformation.

I don't think I'll be a messenger any more.
It isn't you, Charlie. The message you are conveying is basically the same message conveyed by the rude signs posted on the supercharger bollards. Many years ago I worked in customer service, so perhaps I have higher standards. But I don't patronize businesses that make me feel unwelcome. In this case, I admit that the fact that I spent money there in the past is making me particularly salty.

Is there any word on the term length commonly used for these leases?
Tesla's standard contract for the leasing is for an initial 5-year lease with an option for at least one additional 5-year renewal at Tesla's sole discretion (sometimes there are more extensions listed, sometimes with varying rights or lengths, etc). The leases include language to ensure that in the event of a sale or transfer of the property Tesla's rights are conveyed with the property and that Tesla gets an acknowledgement, in a satisfactory form to Tesla (i.e. written), from the new owner/s confirming that they understand that they are bound by the terms of the prior lease agreement.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Teslafi says that from May 7 to Jan 1 I charged in Ozona 22 times, average 39 minutes per session.
I can't speak for anyone else, but that's not worth an overnight stay for me. Is this typical for the rest of us or not?

It seems that we have 2.5 years to get another site up and running in Ozona.
Time to start the rumor mill and permit searches!

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Despite their ignorance, this just isn't true. I stayed there myself... twice! And I can assure you and Mr. Patel that it is highly unlikely that I would have stayed here if not for the supercharger being on property. No one ever asked me if I was driving a Tesla when i checked in.

Given this bit of false information that Mr. Patel is spreading, I am highly suspicious of the rest of his complaints. I'm sure there has been the occasional inconsiderate Tesla driver, but I think it is quite likely that he is exaggerating these stories.

Every business has some bad apple customers. Those that treat all of their customers as if they are bad apples are doomed to fail. I wish Mr. Patel and his business operation the best, but from here on, I will be avoiding this place and this supercharger to whatever extent that I can.

This is almost exactly my experience. I've stayed there solely because they hosted the SuperCharger. Yet I was rudely treated like a deadbeat. The Patels should not be in the hotel management business and I will take care not to support them in the future.

Reactions: PLUS EV

Thank you for staying with us. You are one of the few Tesla chargers that stayed with us. We really appreciate your business. As you said every business has bad apple customers. I am not exaggerating these stories. We do see on daily basis Tesla drivers and few of them trashing the place either in the parking lot or rest rooms. And few of the bad apples ruins it for every one else. We did offer coffee or tea to tesla drivers, had them sit in the lobby or offer them free wifi when someone asked for it. But some of the drivers started taking advantage of it so had to stop it for all.

We do not treat all of our customers as bad apples. We do not gain or lose anything if anyone avoids the Ozona supercharger.

Only Tesla can verify if monetary compensation was involved. Perhaps BW got the lease money and QI got nothing (hmmm).

I can only again relay what Mr. Patel and his wife told me as I recall from our conversations:

*The hotel has never received compensation in any form from Tesla.
*The hotel receives acknowledgement on SC charts and lists - nothing more
*Some Tesla owners (or their parties) left messes in the restrooms and in the lobby
*Some Tesla owners (or their parties) attempted to get coffee and/or breakfast without asking or paying for the privilege

Perhaps the SC should have been installed at the other SC site considered: the C of C building a short distance away.

We need this SC site. Without it we'll have a brand new I-10 gap. Hope Iraan is still good.
Thank you Charlie for the post. We are the same owners as BW and now as QI. BW didn't get any compensation from Tesla neither did QI. Orginally Tesla supercharger were suppose to install at Chamber of Commerce but they denied at the time of contract that is the reason they were installed at the hotel.
We can understand that it takes shorter period to charge at supercharger, so it is ok if Tesla drivers do not stay at the hotel. But the drivers can't be expecting or demanding to use any or all hotel amenities. Some of the drivers demand to have wifi password, or walk in the breakfast room and have free breakfast. We did allow all this in the starting but now it is going over the board. If the SC was in a restaurant or in a convienient store parking lot, what would the Tesla drivers do? would they go in to store or restaurant and pick up a coffee/drink and walk away without asking? (Beleive me we know not every Tesla drivers do this.)

It is completly fine if Tesla Drivers does not stay with us, but please clean up after your self. Do not trash parking lot or restrooms, we do not have 24 hour staff to clean up behind you.

It seems that we have 2.5 years to get another site up and running in Ozona.
Time to start the rumor mill and permit searches!

As you likely know, Ira Yates (owner of the Iraan Energy House) has been trying to facilitate placements of area SuperChargers for YEARS. Especially in Iraan. Iraan is not a long detour off of IH10. He has also considered buying his own chademo station for the Energy House. Even with only 50kw charging, I would consider Iraan a VERY attractive alternative to dealing with the Patels.

I stay in hotels for one (or more) of three reasons: 1) it is a nice destination, 2) I have people in the area that I'm visiting, or 3) I'm on a road trip and the hotel is at a good distance for my overnight stay.

I'm sure Ozona is a nice place, but just not a destination for me. I don't know anyone there. So that leaves the final reason, but since Ozona is 170 miles from home, I don't want to stop 2 1/2 to 3 hours into my journey for an overnight. It's possible when travelling eastward I might stop there overnight someday, but still it is pretty close to home. I do stay overnight in hotels on long trips, but it is spaced 10 hours apart, not 3 hours.

The hotel is rated well by travelers, and many of the reviews talk about excellent service and cleanliness of the facilities. It is also pet friendly, which is often a requirement for me.

In short, I'd stay overnight if it were more distant. I think one of the (numerous) reasons that hotels are not the best locations for Superchargers is that they have only one product -- renting rooms. It is an all-or-nothing proposition, and many more times than not it will be nothing.

Nothing is one thing, but it should never be a negative. I am ashamed that a few Tesla owners have left a mess or felt obliged to take food.

Thank you Charlie for the post. We are the same owners as BW and now as QI. BW didn't get any compensation from Tesla neither did QI. Orginally Tesla supercharger were suppose to install at Chamber of Commerce but they denied at the time of contract that is the reason they were installed at the hotel.
We can understand that it takes shorter period to charge at supercharger, so it is ok if Tesla drivers do not stay at the hotel. But the drivers can't be expecting or demanding to use any or all hotel amenities. Some of the drivers demand to have wifi password, or walk in the breakfast room and have free breakfast. We did allow all this in the starting but now it is going over the board. If the SC was in a restaurant or in a convienient store parking lot, what would the Tesla drivers do? would they go in to store or restaurant and pick up a coffee/drink and walk away without asking? (Beleive me we know not every Tesla drivers do this.)

It is completly fine if Tesla Drivers does not stay with us, but please clean up after your self. Do not trash parking lot or restrooms, we do not have 24 hour staff to clean up behind you.
Fully agree with your sentiments.

Thanks for your patience and support. Hopefully in the long run this will be a win-win for both the Tesla community and your business.

Even with only 50kw charging, I would consider Iraan a VERY attractive alternative to dealing with the Patels.

Thats very rude of you. I really don't see anything wrong with Mr. Patel's concerns. The only way to deal with that is to put up sign boards.

It is in the Tesla members best interest to see that the facilities are used appropriately with the owners permission - basic courtesy and etiquette 101.

Reactions: Bacalao
Great to see a Supercharger host on the forum.

I do stay at hotels that host Superchargers when we travel, and restaurants as well. I've had to join hotel loyalty programs for chains I have never used before just because of this. But I'd like to support them. Traveling for a day, I'm passing through about five other Superchargers before I hit that night's destination. Hopefully some other Tesla driver is staying the night at those hotels that I don't, so that we average out a bit. There are a few hotels I've passed through that I'd like to stop at some day.

I expect to be able to use the restroom at a Supercharger host facility, and will try to have as low an impact as I can. Passing through the lobby I'll usually say we're just using the Tesla chargers and may we use the restroom (and where is it). I realize I'm not paying anything and they're counting on some Tesla drivers to stop for the night to make their hosting worthwhile.

I haven't been to the Ozona Supercharger yet, but with Fort Stockton now in place it becomes a nice southern alternative when driving to the East Coast. And it might actually be at a convenient location for an overnight stop.

Thank you for staying with us. You are one of the few Tesla chargers that stayed with us. We really appreciate your business.

It sounds like you may be unaware of the number of Tesla owners who stay at your hotel? We’ve seen two posters here who (claim to) have spent the night. Your view of the return on hosting a supercharger may change with a more accurate count of the business generated.
Having some small incentive for Tesla owners to ID themselves may help with this. It doesn’t even need to be anything monetary - a small sign at the check-in welcoming them could get them to make a comment. Or just train your reception desk staff to simply ask and make a notation.

It seems like there are negative feelings being generated by a mismatch of expectations and the actions of some bad apples. But the situation should be salvageable with good willed effort.

As a relatively new owner I've not made it down this particular route yet, Feb 9 will be the first getting that far West, however....
It sounds like you may be unaware of the number of Tesla owners who stay at your hotel? We’ve seen two posters here who (claim to) have spent the night. Your view of the return on hosting a supercharger may change with a more accurate count of the business generated.
Of the hotel/motel located SC I've stopped at a large majority had at least one Tesla in the guest lot, not at the SC. Some had multiple. I don't know how many were stopping vs passing through, but in each of those situations I was the only one charging.

Charlie, I don't know the specifics of where you live but proximity to your home (or typical destination) is going to matter as to whether you're likely to stay at a hotel. Ozona may end up being a stay for me at some point coming from the West because it is roughly 6hr from home, that sort of gap is going to greatly increase my odds of staying.

On the other hand it is only 3 hours and change to Austin, and Austin represents a large number of Teslas. Almost certainly nobody from Austin will stop there on the way out unless they are doing something over at least 2 days specifically in the Ozona area, and the chances are coming home are going to be lowered by being only one stop from home if they really want it to be (maybe a 2nd in Junction). Which might be skewing the traffic ratio in Ozona at this point?