Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ozona, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like you may be unaware of the number of Tesla owners who stay at your hotel? We’ve seen two posters here who (claim to) have spent the night. Your view of the return on hosting a supercharger may change with a more accurate count of the business generated.
Having some small incentive for Tesla owners to ID themselves may help with this. It doesn’t even need to be anything monetary - a small sign at the check-in welcoming them could get them to make a comment. Or just train your reception desk staff to simply ask and make a notation.

It seems like there are negative feelings being generated by a mismatch of expectations and the actions of some bad apples. But the situation should be salvageable with good willed effort.
We have trained our Front Desk staff to note on their registration if they were Tesla. My Front Desk started to do that since November 2018. But we can't help if the guest doesn't notify the front desk.

It sounds like you may be unaware of the number of Tesla owners who stay at your hotel? We’ve seen two posters here who (claim to) have spent the night. Your view of the return on hosting a supercharger may change with a more accurate count of the business generated.
Having some small incentive for Tesla owners to ID themselves may help with this. It doesn’t even need to be anything monetary - a small sign at the check-in welcoming them could get them to make a comment. Or just train your reception desk staff to simply ask and make a notation.

It seems like there are negative feelings being generated by a mismatch of expectations and the actions of some bad apples. But the situation should be salvageable with good willed effort.
We would only know if they are Tesla drivers if they mention to Front Desk. Otherwise there is no way for us to find out.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
American English is probably not the hotel owner’s first language. Consider that a notice that appears to be harsh or impolite may just be due to language or cultural differences.
This doesn't have to do anything with language or cultural differences. It is the frustration of people demanding to have wifi access or sneak in our breakfast room and eat full breakfast without us offering.

I am sure there might be a business owner in this forum. What would you do if you were in my situation?

You ask for the vehicle plate and make/model of each guest, like a lot of places do?

Irrespective of whether the owners of that place know how many staying guests are Tesla owners - Is there a specific number of Tesla guests per month that stay there, somehow make the actions of those that trespass and mess up legitimate or tolerable?

The point is, the sign board and message is for bad apples. Why should anyone else be upset about it, however it is worded? When I read those kind of sign and messages I know instantly that is for those that have low standards and low morals. It is like the signs that say, 'Dogs not allowed'. Only dogs should be upset, and I know I am not one.

I
I'm sure Ozona is a nice place, but just not a destination for me. I don't know anyone there. So that leaves the final reason, but since Ozona is 170 miles from home, I don't want to stop 2 1/2 to 3 hours into my journey for an overnight. It's possible when

I, too, am less than 200 miles from Ozona. The last time I stayed there, around a year ago, I pulled in pretty late, maybe 11pm. Heading east. I tend to neglect planning and "fly by the seat of my pants". I could have toughed it out but being a SuperCharger host pushed me over the edge. I got their last room, the handicap one at the end of the building. My memory has faded but I'm pretty sure I explained to the desk person that I intended to leave my car hooked up overnight but would move it if needed. So, I did not explicitly say "I'm here to reward you for being a SuperCharger host". The last time I was in Ozona, about a month ago after the sign posting, I just stayed in the car and napped. In the unlikely event that the need should arise in the future, I'll pee at the edge of the parking lot.

Despite implications, I don't believe any on this forum is an offender on messing things up or stealing. I certainly am not. So, let's pin that one on newbie Tesla owners.

Not realizing the type of management in Ozona and having experienced otherwise universal complementary coffee at other hotel SuperCharger hosts, I acknowledge my expectation of complementary coffee in Ozona. I will not make that mistake in Ozona again.

This doesn't have to do anything with language or cultural differences. It is the frustration of people demanding to have wifi access or sneak in our breakfast room and eat full breakfast without us offering.

I am sure there might be a business owner in this forum. What would you do if you were in my situation?

I would build a marketing plan that has the goal to turn more of these visitors to my business into paying customers. The first step would be to find out how many of them are already paying customers. I would make an effort to find out how many room nights I am actually getting from Tesla owners. If you don’t want to ask each guest at registration then I would take PlusEV’s point and simply have someone survey the parking lot each morning for Teslas. Keep track of this data!

I would also try to find out how many Tesla drivers stop at my location every day as this defines my potential market. I assume that Tesla will not share that information with you? I would take down the sign warning users against bad behavior and replace it with one welcoming them and inviting them to come in for a cup of coffee or lemonade while their car is charging. Just show your Tesla key at the desk! Again, keep track of this data!

OK, now that I have a way to capture data about the size of my potential market, I need to figure out how to turn them into paying customers. Right now, I have only one product to sell to this market: overnight stays at the hotel. Given that Ozona isn't a destination for most of these visitors, I'm limited in how many I can actually serve. I need to figure out what else I can sell to people who will only be on my property for ~one hour. Food and drink seem the most obvious choices. I do not know if you're restricted in this area by your local permits or franchise agreement in any way but offering these types of consumables would be my priority. The nice part is that this is a captive audience and my prices can be higher than local options even though this is a smaller revenue stream it should be very profitable.

Once I have enough of a sample size that I feel comfortable with my estimate of the size of the audience and I am ready to start selling something to these visitors, I would replace the sign offering free coffee/lemonade with one inviting people to come inside the air-conditioned lobby and see my selection of food and drinks available.

That's a plan to convert transient visitors into paying customers. I would also consider ways to incentivize more Tesla owners to choose to plan their long-distance trip so that they spend the night at my hotel versus the hotels at/around other superchargers. Simply building the reputation as a welcoming place for this market would help. I'd put in place a 'Tesla rate' with a nominal discount over the normal rate and see if that moves the needle from my baseline count of Tesla room nights.

I would install a trash can out near the charger to incentivize users from littering. It is an expense I shouldn’t need to incur as people should know better but clearly some of them don’t. Keeping my property clean and appealing is more than worth the cost.

Ultimately, I would realize that I need to do more to market my services to this audience than a passive approach of waiting for a (small?) percentage of them to check in for the night. It's an entrepreneurial challenge to turn this negative situation into a positive one but the return should be worth it.

Good luck to you.

I would build a marketing plan that has the goal to turn more of these visitors to my business into paying customers. The first step would be to find out how many of them are already paying customers. I would make an effort to find out how many room nights I am actually getting from Tesla owners. If you don’t want to ask each guest at registration then I would take PlusEV’s point and simply have someone survey the parking lot each morning for Teslas. Keep track of this data!

I would also try to find out how many Tesla drivers stop at my location every day as this defines my potential market. I assume that Tesla will not share that information with you? I would take down the sign warning users against bad behavior and replace it with one welcoming them and inviting them to come in for a cup of coffee or lemonade while their car is charging. Just show your Tesla key at the desk! Again, keep track of this data!

OK, now that I have a way to capture data about the size of my potential market, I need to figure out how to turn them into paying customers. Right now, I have only one product to sell to this market: overnight stays at the hotel. Given that Ozona isn't a destination for most of these visitors, I'm limited in how many I can actually serve. I need to figure out what else I can sell to people who will only be on my property for ~one hour. Food and drink seem the most obvious choices. I do not know if you're restricted in this area by your local permits or franchise agreement in any way but offering these types of consumables would be my priority. The nice part is that this is a captive audience and my prices can be higher than local options even though this is a smaller revenue stream it should be very profitable.

Once I have enough of a sample size that I feel comfortable with my estimate of the size of the audience and I am ready to start selling something to these visitors, I would replace the sign offering free coffee/lemonade with one inviting people to come inside the air-conditioned lobby and see my selection of food and drinks available.

That's a plan to convert transient visitors into paying customers. I would also consider ways to incentivize more Tesla owners to choose to plan their long-distance trip so that they spend the night at my hotel versus the hotels at/around other superchargers. Simply building the reputation as a welcoming place for this market would help. I'd put in place a 'Tesla rate' with a nominal discount over the normal rate and see if that moves the needle from my baseline count of Tesla room nights.

I would install a trash can out near the charger to incentivize users from littering. It is an expense I shouldn’t need to incur as people should know better but clearly some of them don’t. Keeping my property clean and appealing is more than worth the cost.

Ultimately, I would realize that I need to do more to market my services to this audience than a passive approach of waiting for a (small?) percentage of them to check in for the night. It's an entrepreneurial challenge to turn this negative situation into a positive one but the return should be worth it.

Good luck to you.
Thank you AndrewTX. 1. We are waiting on getting approval from franchise for a Sundry shop in the lobby.
2. We are considering discounts for Tesla Owners, just need to find a way to advertise.

Also as I said earlier we did offer free coffee when we opened Tesla Supercharger. But then in 5-6 different instances, people would bring their lunches and leave all the trash on the breakfast table for us and didn't clean up after themselves. They would help themselves anything that is breakfast room for example yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit etc. One couple even ask for mustard and ketchup for their sandwiches and when my staff said we do not have this they got mad at staff, as if we were a restaurant and didn't offer them the condiments.

The sign on supercharger is temporary, if these issues stop we would remove them. We know not every Tesla owners are the bad apples.

Thank you AndrewTX. 1. We are waiting on getting approval from franchise for a Sundry shop in the lobby.
This would be extremely helpful. I'm often happy to pay for modest provisions when I stop, especially if it means not having to stop somewhere else or walk somewhere while the car is charging. Not staying in a room on a given charge usually has little to do with not wanting to stay in that hotel, and nothing to do about whether to be a paying customer or not. On a trip I'm making a call, usually on the spot, about if my body is ready or near ready for rest. That's it.

EDIT: Note, that means if I didn't think this wasn't also a good place for a short stop I'd just plan head around it entirely with a double SC leap. :/ I'd never be there at all, so wouldn't be in the position of making a decision about whether to stop there or not. Which isn't a good thing for anybody.

Last edited:
Unfortunately leaving trash for others to cleanup is common in society these days. Not just Tesla owners.

On the welcome sign, perhaps offer a free bottle of water (or two) or a cup of coffee for showing Tesla key at the desk. It would quickly give you data. Also an opportunity to sell other refreshments and let people know the price of breakfast for people not staying overnight.

Reactions: Electroman
Just stopped for a charge. Here's a photo of the tape note from hotel group.
Garbage can was located behind one of the Superchargers. I was the
only Tesla charging.

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 169
Signs gone.
Sundry shop approved for the lobby.
I noticed on Sunday afternoon that the signs were down. Thanks for confirming it was intentional, I hadn't gone in incase it had just been someone doubling down on jerkiness. I was just on a very quick stop anyway.

Great to hear they got a shop approved! Will definitely drop in my next time through.

Reactions: charliepmayer
My wife and I went camping in the Davis Mountains last week, traveling from Austin area to Fort Davis. I noticed my car was less efficient than I'm used to, probably due to being loaded to the max with camping gear, travel speed and the hilly nature of the route. So while at the camp site, I looked for additional charging opportunities for the return trip. I identified Ozona as a possibility and started reading the posts in this forum. All I can say to SOME, is Wow!

On our return trip, we made an unnecessary stop at Ozona, just to tell the hotel owners that their hosting the Supercharger is appreciated, and to buy a few items from their sundry shop. There wasn't much, but the hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. I encourage all Tesla drivers traveling through Ozona, to stop in, be courteous, and buy an item or two to show appreciation.