Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger pallet - Triple urban SCs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a little experiment (to the extent that I could) on this triple urban Medusa supercharger monster at Santa Ana tonight. There was one Tesla already plugged into one of them. I tried plugging in to each of the other two. The first one gave me a consistent 50kW throughout my stay. I started with a 22% SOC and it stayed at 50kW all the way up to about 85% SOC so I don't think it had anything to do with the other car being plugged in. It most likely lost some power somehow on the wiring from the main transformer or cabinet. I had to park really awkwardly to plug into the other one and it had no power whatsoever, so whoever said that only 2 are powered was correct.

Seeing as there was no line and I was only getting 50kW, I felt comfortable staying a little over an hour despite the 40 minute signs. I wasn't in too much of a hurry and wanted to eat at CPK which is on the far side of the mall from the superchargers, so that's about how long it took anyway.

I did a little experiment (to the extent that I could) on this triple urban Medusa supercharger monster at Santa Ana tonight. There was one Tesla already plugged into one of them. I tried plugging in to each of the other two. The first one gave me a consistent 50kW throughout my stay. I started with a 22% SOC and it stayed at 50kW all the way up to about 85% SOC so I don't think it had anything to do with the other car being plugged in. It most likely lost some power somehow on the wiring from the main transformer or cabinet. I had to park really awkwardly to plug into the other one and it had no power whatsoever, so whoever said that only 2 are powered was correct.

Seeing as there was no line and I was only getting 50kW, I felt comfortable staying a little over an hour despite the 40 minute signs. I wasn't in too much of a hurry and wanted to eat at CPK which is on the far side of the mall from the superchargers, so that's about how long it took anyway.
Thanks for the testing! So was the other car charging the whole time during your test? If so, I guess it is still possible that either the unit that the first car was using could be powered or the third unit could be powered, but not both. Doubtful. Probably they just orient the pallet such that two can be easily accessed and activate those two. The pallet can be set up like the ones we have seen so far, or with the two units on one side facing the parking so that two cars can back in.

I assume this unit uses sets of 48A chargers in the stack. Would it be possible to use 72A chargers and power all three on the pallet? I don't know of a case where they have used 72A chargers in a single SC unit. It seems like if they could do that, they would be doing so at other Urban SC installations. That would allow one SC stack to power 3 charging units instead of 2.

Just tried another one of these at Indio, CA and it's the same setup. This time there was no one else at the supercharger so I was able to be more thorough and plug into all 3 with a ~35% SOC. The one that is inconvenient to plug into is dead and the other two are delivering 50-51kW max. Obviously I opted for the full superchargers which were delivering over 100kW.

192 A * 480V * sqrt(3) = ~160 kW, assuming unity power factor. The output is 72 x 2 = 144 kW, so the efficiency is ~90%. Sounds about right. If the system were overloaded to 72 x 3 = 216 kW, that would be 1.5 * 192 = 288A per phase, while the continuous breaker rating is only 250 A.

Temp pallet chargers still present at Cabazon CA.

08F89C47-8D8F-42F5-9B09-8E487AE9E723.jpeg

Moderator note: This post plus the next few were merged from another thread.

I have seen quite a few of these in the last few months, this one in Indio CA

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7db8.jpg

I am not sure what each stanchion costs but it's odd that there are 3 mounted on the palette. Perhaps it allows them to mount the chargers in either config and they just wire it differently in the cabinet depending on the orientation. I know they don't all work as I have tested all three at a few chargers. Only two work, which makes sense as the charger cabinet can only power two.

This one in Truckee, CA seems to make more sense using two full Supercharger stanchions.
PdM%UBdmS2y67opH20hb8g_thumb_8ac.jpg

I have also seen the new Urban Portables at Lone Pine, Mt. Shasta, and Folsom, CA. Are there others?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7aff.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_7b12.jpg

-Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought: Maybe the sites which received these "temporary pallets" are slated for V3 upgrades? They know they need higher capacity several months ago, but didn't have V3 ready to go yet.

I'm aware that Elon said that V2 sites wouldn't be getting upgraded but these could be exceptions rather than rules. I'll leave it to the California locals to determine whether the geographic spread (e.g. located at the sweet spot away from a major city for most V3 capable vehicles to arrive at low SOC) either corroborates or contradicts this theory.

Because the utility transformer is usually not placed until all of the construction and wiring is complete.
I don't know enough about it to know WHY it is done this way. I imagine the power company doesn't want to go through the installation just to have the project cancelled and them left having to absorb the investment. Maybe something could be worked out with the utility, but since there are hundreds of companies to make special arrangements with, that is probably not worth it.

Some of the locations I have seen photos of would not allow a car to be parked with the rear facing the dual chargers. They are too close to a wall or other obstruction. I think the idea that they are positioned such that only two can be used at a time is by design.
Yes I agree. A car parked in front of the one at Lone Pine would block traffic.