Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palm Desert (permit not found, exact location not known)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I’m starting this thread not because I know anything about this coming Supercharger, I’m simply hoping to stimulate interest among local Tesla owners to start looking for likely locations and see if they spot anything, since Tesla’s Find Us page says this Supercharger is “Target opening by end of 2017”. Tesla may not meet that goal, but given the burst of Supercharger construction in California right now, and the fact that several new Superchargers have not been discovered until they were almost finished and operational, maybe the Palm Desert Supercharger construction is in progress? Enquiring minds want to know...

The Service Center in Cat City has three HPWC. The Sales Center on El Paseo has six (I believe.) The Service Center sees usage late afternoons and into the evening during snowbird season. The Sales Center uses their HPWC primarily to charge the test models, but will move one if you telephone in advance.

No one at either location knew of any imminent plans for a Supercharger.

There is plenty of parking on either side of El Paseo behind the shops.

18BF25BC-1A68-4D2D-9FF5-62E21A502D68.jpeg
There is work being done at The River in Rancho Mirage. I took this picture today of a worker in a fenced-off area under the new solar panels (which double as covered parking). This might be the location for the superchargers rather than Palm Desert.

cc: SeaDoc

My hunch was right - if it is here at the River - terrific place for a SuperCharging station... 5 Guys Hamburgers is here... woo hoo... Thanks for the pics - can't wait to see the words "Tesla" somewhere... Also, I noted another SuperCharging station is headed in Palm Springs too!!! Exciting times to own a Tesla...

Went by The River today that Doesn’t appear to be the location ...drove all over the parking lot and no indications of super/urban chargers being put there ......previous posted pic was for solar canopies which all look to be completed now ...

Palm Desert is very pro EVs.
In the park area near the Town Hall they have 4 free Level 2 chargers and an EVgo CHAdeMO/CCS charger available 24/7. No parking fees. Each charger is shaded with a canopy of vegetation.
During Coachella for the last 2 years, they provided free charging for EVs at the EVgo charger.
The park area has tons of parking and would be a great location for a Tesla SC.
Based on Palm Desert City Hall's past history, Tesla would have no problem getting a planning permit for a SC passed fairly quickly.
You can get a CHAdeMO adaptor for Tesla but it's kind of expensive.

I called Palm Desert Planning Dept and the clerk said that Tesla chargers already exist in The Gardens shopping Center parking garage on El Paseo, near the now closed Tesla showroom. I told the clerk that these are probably Level 2 chargers. So, I asked if Tesla had submitted any plans for a Supercharger station in Palm Desert and the answer was No.
Could someone who is local check on these chargers and confirm that they are Level 2 chargers. The clerk said they had the Tesla name on them.

called Palm Desert Planning Dept and the clerk said that Tesla chargers already exist in The Gardens shopping Center parking garage on El Paseo, near the now closed Tesla showroom. I told the clerk that these are probably Level 2 chargers.
They are Tesla Destination Chargers. Here is Tesla’s Find Us page map for that area. The grey pin is the “Coming Soon” marker for a future Supercharger. It does not represent the exact location.

14751510-9BAB-41F4-A7F0-13ABCCF940CE.jpeg

Yep, that's true.... they're all L2.
But here's something strange. I'm local to the area. I had my car at the service center recently. I happened to get an app alert that said "supercharging interrupted"...... thought that was strange. Could they have an SC there for service and new car delivery use??

Yep, that's true.... they're all L2.
But here's something strange. I'm local to the area. I had my car at the service center recently. I happened to get an app alert that said "supercharging interrupted"...... thought that was strange. Could they have an SC there for service and new car delivery use??

Several (possibly most?) service centers, even if they don't have public superchargers, have dedicated ones of a different design for use charging cars that are in for service or delivery. They look like this: SuperCharging Idle Fee at Service Center

• Informative
Reactions: Brettski